UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2014 C2E2 MINIMATE MEET-UP!

My favorite part of going to conventions where DST attends is meeting other Minimate collectors, but even though they have been around for 10 years, Minimate enthusiasts aren't always well represented at shows. The turn out for the panel this year was great, but it would be a blast if we could get more people, especially members here, to attend.

Nervous and I spent a lot of time talking at the show, and we would like to propose an organized Minimates "mini-convention". Basically, let's plan in advance for C2E2 next year (or another show of similar size, we are open to suggestions, but want to avoid something crazy like SDCC) where we get as many MMMV members together as we can.

Scheduling this around a convention isn't necessary, but would give more incentive for people to participate. We could work with a hotel to try and get a block of rooms so everyone was together in one cental place. This would be a great way to meet other members, trade Minimates, discuss techniques for customs, and just generally hang out with people that are interested in Minimates.

I would like for members who are interested in participating in something like this next year to post here, and offer suggestions for locations (C2E2 unless another con is preferred by the majority of participants), events you'd like to see, etc.

Obviously, pulling this off would require a lot of time and financial commitments from everyone involved, so please keep that in mind.

Edited by youbastards

I'll definitely try and do next year. Nervous and I talked about car pooling, but I just couldn't commit to the show this year-- and I wish I had, in retrospect.

As far as alternate venues, might I suggest NYCC? It's a fun show, and there's certainly plenty to do in and around the city. We could book a block of rooms somewhere outside the city, then take the train into town for the con. Or we could all crash at Zach's! I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all.

Idea: Thursday or Friday evening post-con. All we need to do is get a mid sized room and a few tables, and maybe a mic if anyone felt the need to make announcements and introductions. and a bar. tongue.png Thursday would be great because we could make it as long as we want, but Friday might work better for people who have to work for a living. We could invite anyone that wanted to show up from the on in general. I saw many people passing out flyers for parties and such. Just a few thoughts.

I could probably do C2E2 again next year. Wizard World Chicago may also work for me. New York is just too far for me to commit - or make.

I stayed at LaQuinta - Oakbrook Terrace this year for the con: 20-50 minutes away, depending on the route/traffic, free breakfast, wifi, and under $70/night. They also have conference rooms.

As far as post-convention gathering? Why would we wait for a whole week? I would think the day after the show would make more sense, but that is just me. :shrug: Before the show might work too.

Other ideas are certainly welcome too, as I would love to meet more members!

Going anywhere has been out of the question for me (us) these last two or three years purely because of the commitments I have here. I'm not forgetting that everybody has commitments but just getting to (e.g.) Chicago would cost me around $600 & as much as I love you guys......tongue.png

That said, it is likely that the bumblebee will be leaving the barn for good in the next year or so & will be looking for pastures new .

Its about time I gathered some pollen from elsewhere & Chicago (or wherever) would be an ideal addition to my bucket list.

I have to add that meeting up with the kindred souls at SDCC was a fantastic experience ....almost surreal.... anybody sitting on the fence wondering whether to pull the trigger & go to a Con shouldn't hesitate .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've decided to start looking into next year's C2E2 already as making this a family trip this year was somewhat disasterous. The family had a great time, I can't say the same really for myself. If we had a day set aside for meet-up planned out long enough to make arrangements then I'm all in and would do what I could to help in any way. I'll agree that the unplanned meet-up idea just doesn't work like it should.

Edited by groundhog7s

Hey Guys, a little late to the conversation....I'm still a bit whooped from my drive, but powder fresh and back to work today. I think this came up while me and YB were talking because the main reason I went to C2E2 was to mix and mingle with other multiverse members, since noone I work with has no idea what minimates are, or would even want to know what they are (picture a union led blue collar factory atmosphere). it was great actually talking about customs and the custom making process and techniques with guys like Tenime, Delta Chameleon, Boyd, YB, and onyx. Besides seeing the new stuff on display and sitting at the panel, I really get excited talking about the creative side of it. For myself, I'd like it to be for much longer than a few conversations here and there, and I like tohe idea of having a conference room or something, where we can pull out our stuff, pass it around, and talk about it ( i am referring to minimates of course...) I'd like to even do like a little workshop, where we could all break out paints and decals and parts, and just create some cool stuff. I think with everyone there, we could all get some fresh new ideas, and tricks. Its always nice to have a new set of eyes, or new perspective on something.... I know i've said to myself "huh, now why didn't I think about that."

Overall, I think it would be great, even beyond the customs side of it, to hang with other members for an afternoon, or longer of just talking shop.

Just my two cents...

Seeing that picture in the other thread makes me really want to do this. And for once I have the kinds of funds that would allow it. But with two young children now (and no family support outside the nuclear unit) I'm not sure it is feasible.

Edited by karamazov80

Glad you made it back safe and sound, Nervous! :thumbsup: Yeah, getting to hang out with people who "get" what you are into, without having to explain, is pure joy, I wish I had more time to do that over the weekend.

I have no idea about the costs of renting a conference room at either a hotel, or booking something though C2E2, but that is definitely something we can look into. My thoughts were that if we got a block of hotel rooms together, we could always just hang out at the hotel after the con. It would help keep costs down, and if we wanted to, we could actually plan certain "events" at certain times so people have a schedule of when to be where.

They announced the dates for C2E2 2014, April 25-27. Normally, the show is held in the West building of McCormick place, but they are moving to the South building for the 2014 show.

The West building offers 470,000 sq ft of show space, while the South building will allow for more than 1,000,000 sq ft!!! After seeing how crowded the floor was on Saturday, this should make a huge difference in next years's show.

Seeing that picture in the other thread makes me really want to do this. And for once I have the kinds of funds that would allow it. But with two young children now (and no family support outside the nuclear unit) I'm not sure it is feasible.

Totally know where you're coming from. I tried to make C2E2 a family thing this year and, although my kids loved it, it was highly disappointing for me. My wife and I are discussing what next year will be, but at this point I will have a hard time not at least taking my older sons with me for one day. Even if we make it a weekend trip where I get a day at the con by myself, I really don't see me being able to participate much in events.

Not that I see it totally happening like this, but I was told yb about how Funko does their SDCC stuff. For more than the last decade they have a dinner after one of the nights of the con for anyone who attends the con and buys a ticket. It's $60 to get in, but you get a free dinner and a box with three collectibles only available at the dinner (they're always their mascot Freddy as some pop culture character, the last two years have been Pop! figures while before that they were bobble heads). During the dinner, fans interact with each other, there's an award show (collector of the year type stuff) and there are tons of prototypes and custom made stuff just given away. It's an amazing event (that I'll never see), but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it inspires someone's thinking for something along these lines. I don't know if DST would be/could be willing to sponsor anything at all, but I'm just throwing this all out there anyway.

Sounds fun to me. Chicago is really a low cost show when you are used to going to SDCC. You can get a decent room in Chicago for less than a hundred bucks a night and go to the show all three days for about a hundred bucks. San Diego will cost you five times that, if you are lucky.

I am interested in NYCC and was on the fence about going this year instead of C2E2. However, I am up for just about anything.

BHM, Nervous and I discussed it and we are coming over to find you. Hopefully, it will be before the Bumblees are gone...

The DST guys invited a few of us that helped tear down, out to dinner one night. We planned to go but were so exhausted we went back and collapsed into our pillows.

I am in for a meet up next year at C2E2. I got each year, and it seems each year I am more involved than the previous year. I got to meet a few of you guys, but it seems like I missed some of you as well. Usually, it's pretty easy for me to get time off for the convention, so my schedule should be pretty open.

Nervous, I loved talking to you about your customs. You have some amazing figures there. I'll have to bring some of my work along with me next year.

Here's a thought. Zach usually needs help setting up, right? What if 30 guys just showed up to help. He'd be done in half an hour, DST would be the first booth set up, and then the Diamond crew can come hang with us. tongue.png

Did anyone see where the Tomb Raider wave two prototypes went? Wait, where's Dino?