UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Restored "the Wolverine" movie mate speculation thread. Now w/ added "Days of Future Present"

Mirymate

So wolverines gonna be wave 52 will Thor be wave 53 & does it leave room for anymore comic based waves this year?

Yeah, it seems like half the 'mates being offered are from these damned Marvel movies. Just be glad no one is clamoring for 'mates based on the cartoons.

Next year will be better. The only Marvel flicks being released in 2014 are Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Well... that's actually more than this year.

No, it's 2015 that's looking lean with the Fantastic Four reboot, the Avengers sequel, and Ant-Man!

huh.png

Wow! As someone who's very much a fan of the comic based waves, that's actually quite depressing. There's gotta be a case there somewhere for the movie waves being a separate entity like they are with TRU.

I agree, I like the movies and the movie 'mates are usually great quality-wise, but my main love is always the comic waves. The movie waves are usually good for fleshing out supporting characters, not so good for new heroes and villains.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually a bigger fan of movie toys in general than the comics, largely because I like more realistic costume designs. I was never a big fan of Marvel growing up (always a DC boy thanks to Batman) but I got hooked on Ultimates and started following that because it seemed like a movie adaptation.

I buy them all now, movie and comic, and both are pretty endearing to me in their own ways. The simple, brightly colored costumes of the comics really suit the Minimate aesthetic but the movie 'mates translate surprisingly well and allow me to display the crossovers the studios can't/won't. (Amazing Spider-Man vs. Incredible Hulk? Coming up!)

If DST offered a series based on previous Marvel movies – kind of a cinematic "Best of" wave from Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Blade – I'd be all over that.

Otherwise I just want Man-Thing, Uatu the Watcher, and more Inhumans. I can't even accurately name half the Marvel Minimates I own.

The sales of movie-based Minimates keep the comic line vital. There are still plenty of comic-based Mates coming out this year -- 48, 50, 51, TRU 15, TRU 16, various box sets -- and we will likely get another assortment in before the end of the year.

But separately numbering the lines is a mere technicality -- we'd still put out the same number of assortments per year. We don't want to put out more Marvel Minimates than the market can bear.

And a cinematic "Best of" would involve a dozen licenses from a couple of studios, but maybe in the future something like that might be possible.

The sales of movie-based Minimates keep the comic line vital. There are still plenty of comic-based Mates coming out this year -- 48, 50, 51, TRU 15, TRU 16, various box sets -- and we will likely get another assortment in before the end of the year.

But separately numbering the lines is a mere technicality -- we'd still put out the same number of assortments per year. We don't want to put out more Marvel Minimates than the market can bear.

And a cinematic "Best of" would involve a dozen licenses from a couple of studios, but maybe in the future something like that might be possible.

The Avengers movies are pretty much "Best of" in themselves ;)

And I love the movie-mates, I am missing a few from Iron Man 2 but I have the rest. I hope we get Bearded Logan in Wave 52!

The Avengers movies are pretty much "Best of" in themselves wink.png

And I love the movie-mates, I am missing a few from Iron Man 2 but I have the rest. I hope we get Bearded Logan in Wave 52!

You mean Yukon Wolverine? YES.

Interesting. So are you saying that the movie waves actually sell stronger than the comic ones?

I do totally see your point though that the numbering would be a technicality. I guess as a comic fan, with what seems to be an increasing number of movies coming out in the next few years, I don't want to see the comic waves dwindling. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the movie waves well enough, but not at the expense of waves/boxsets with new classic comic characters. Having said that, if the movie waves keep the comic ones alive, then sign me up as the moivie waves' number one supporter! tongue.png

The Avengers movies are pretty much "Best of" in themselves wink.png

You mean Yukon Wolverine? YES.

YES. Now knowing the rest is irrelevant to me. Nothing will be better than that beard.

Interesting. So are you saying that the movie waves actually sell stronger than the comic ones?

I do totally see your point though that the numbering would be a technicality. I guess as a comic fan, with what seems to be an increasing number of movies coming out in the next few years, I don't want to see the comic waves dwindling. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the movie waves well enough, but not at the expense of waves/boxsets with new classic comic characters. Having said that, if the movie waves keep the comic ones alive, then sign me up as the moivie waves' number one supporter! tongue.png

Yes, movie waves defintiely sell better, depending on the movie and the theme of the comic series. Marvel Now has had a good response. We'll see how The Wolverine does.

And the movie series, while they may bump a hypothetical fourth or fifth comic series to the following year, they also bring us comic characters we might not have ordinarily gotten, or at least not for a while.

Yes, movie waves defintiely sell better, depending on the movie and the theme of the comic series. Marvel Now has had a good response. We'll see how The Wolverine does.

And the movie series, while they may bump a hypothetical fourth or fifth comic series to the following year, they also bring us comic characters we might not have ordinarily gotten, or at least not for a while.

Are you referring to the comic version of characters, such as Sif, Balder, etc, or the movie version of characters like Dum Dum Dugan and Maria Hill?

Because I rarely count the movie version of a character as compatible with my comic mates. Dum Dum is the rare exception.

Thors Destroyer fits in well with the comic figures too

True! A bit undersized, but still happy to have him. And Dum Dum still needed a QC swap on a Shield agent body to work in my comic collection.

But Destroyer only works because the Movie Version design works with the comic stuff. That's the exception rather than the rule. For The Wolverine, nothing looks comic-accurate so far, sadly even Silver Samurai.

I never said every movie design worked with comic stuff.

Destroyer, yes. Volstagg, maybe not. Gwen Stacy, Ben Parker, Curt Connors, Blob, Wraith, Odin, Frigga... It all depends. If you have a specific comic look in your head, then no, very little will work. If you simply want that character, and it's close enough, then you might be happy to have it.

Thanks for the clarification Zach. While not necessarily the news I personally want to hear, I understand how what you are saying makes business sense and keeps the line running, which is the most important thing.

And like I said, it's not that I dislike the movie waves, especially when it is a new franchise, eg I hope you do guardians of the galaxy when it comes out. However, I like it best when the movies encourage new comic waves/characters based on them too, eg wave 36 which gave us plenty of great iron man villains, or TRU 12 which gave some great thor/cap characters.