UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Restored "the Wolverine" movie mate speculation thread. Now w/ added "Days of Future Present"

Mirymate

So we apparently lost the thread talking about Wolverine mates, and not sure we've opened the floor to DFP speculation. Not sure how much of any of these will happen. Sure they pulled out all the stops for the first Wolvie movie, while FC got a single wave. And we haven't heard anything if these two are even on the DST schedule. But when has that stopped us?

Floor is open, what do you think/want to see out of these theoretical lines?

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zach has (sort of) put a pin in the 'Complimentary 616' line to accompany movie figures, but we have still do get to see a sneaky two-pack in TRU waves to compliment films now and then.

They wont likely be in the film, but if we're going with a 'Mutants from Japan' type thing, I would love to maybe see Armor, Revanche (she's kinda, somehow Japanese, right?) or an updated Lady Deathstrike.

A 616 Silver Samurai would be great too, but his Movie outfit might actually be close enough to double for both if the pics are to be believed:

wolverine-silver-samurai3.jpg

As for Film-verse characters, I'm hoping we'll see a Kimono Logan, along with Viper, Lord Shingen, Yuriko, Mariko, and of course - Silver Samurai...

Well Mariko, Silver Samurai, Yukio, Viper (Madam Hydra) and Shingen Yashida are all confirmed to be in Wolverine Origins. I would be quite happy to get any of them, especially Silver Samurai, and Viper, an updated Mariko would be nice as well.

For Days of Future Past we could get more Sentinels I guess.

Ogun could be cool too, if they do any 616 stuff to accompany the films release.

Here's a bit of a trip down memory lane for all you card collecting fan boys, and a possible preview of what might be in store in the film :P

Fleer%20Ultra%20X-Men%20Wolverine%20Base

For DofP, I want to see Patrick Stewart Prof X and Ian McKellen Magneto, to go with the X3 mates. Anna Paquin, Shawn (or is it Aaron?) Ashmore and Ellen Page would be great too. Darwin and Banshee, along with another McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence to complement. That would leave two spots open for new/other characters/villains. Personally, I would love to see Rose Byrne get a mate too.

I would be fine with just a TRU wave for Wolverine:

Logan/Yuriko (Desth Strike)

Silver Samurai/Wolverine

Mariko/Yashida

Viper/Hand Ninja

This may be too many females though.

"mutants of japan"? Well Sunfire is Mariko's cousin... but I personally don't want to see him in the movie, as it's almost terminally crowded as it is. Mostly, I'm hoping that if we get mates of this movie, they'll be passable as their 616 counterparts. I think I said this in the previous thread, but most of the designs involved here are fairly movie friendly, I mean Yuriko wears tight black clothes and keeps her hair short... shouldn't be an issue. Viper's main characteristic is her hair/face. Viper has some wicked scarring on the left side of her face that she keeps concealed with her hair. (and is also partially why she's crazy) Get that right, and anything else you do with her designwise is forgiveable. Silver Samurai was/is my biggest concern. Sure it works well on the page, but I am worried that a big guy in full shining silver samurai armor is going to look a little too Power Rangers on screen. That picture above gives me some hope that we'll have a few more General Rosses out of this theoretical line.

DFP has me more curious... This is really fastly becoming X-Men 4, the cast is getting huge and growing by the week (new rumors about Alan Cummings returning, and that's not counting the fanboy fantasy rumors about Cyc and Jean being in it) So if DST does mates for it, what direction do they go? Use the opertunity to make the characters they missed in the X-3 and FC movies? Just hit the major characters again?

Maybe, for Magneto and Prof X, they can give us a generic outfit and both actors' heads, reducing the mates by 2, at least. They could then be packed with the army builder, whatever it may be, at 2 each per case like with ASM.

And as much as I hope for new characters to complement other waves, I can just as easily see getting "updated" versions of all the characters we already have and NO ONE new.

This is really fastly becoming X-Men 3.2. If DST does mates for it, what direction do they go? Use the opertunity to make the characters they missed in the X-3 and FC movies? Just hit the major characters again?

Fixed that for you ;)

Random thoughts:

- Days of Future Past should be a great opportunity to get all the X-Men Moviemates we didn't get previously.

- I'm dreading adding more woefully wee Sentinels to my collection. Hopefully LEGO will offer something a lot more satisfying.

- Never been a huge fan of Wolverine but this flick looks to be heading in a good direction and I really enjoyed the source material they're drawing from. I anticipate oodles of 'mates.

When the story on which this movie is going to be loosely based first came out, (the original Wolverine mini-series) I loved me some Wolverine. Some nearly 30 years later, he's just terminally overexposed and over hyped IMO. But apparently I'm in the extreme minority of what's left of the comics buying population, cause books with him in them still sell better than books without. >shrug<

When the story on which this movie is going to be loosely based first came out, (the original Wolverine mini-series) I loved me some Wolverine. Some nearly 30 years later, he's just terminally overexposed and over hyped IMO. But apparently I'm in the extreme minority of what's left of the comics buying population, cause books with him in them still sell better than books without. >shrug<

I think it's more a case of Marvel playing it so close to the vest that they're afraid to take any risks whatsoever, everything must be an Avengers, X-Men, Wolverine, Spider-Man title, etc. I'm not so sure a guest appearance by Wolverine in say..... Thunderbolts increases sales. Compared to the 90s where Wolverine would show up in an issue of Terror Inc and give sales a small boost. I do agree with what you're getting at though and it's a big reason I dropped all Marvel titles years ago.

I haven't bought a Marvel comic in a few years, so I don't know much about Wolvie nowadays apart from that fact that he's an Avenger, which really sucks IMO. Still my favorite Marvel character ever. Movie version needs a mask though.

"mutants of japan"? Well Sunfire is Mariko's cousin... but I personally don't want to see him in the movie, as it's almost terminally crowded as it is.

I don't really want to see any of those people in the film - i meant more that if DST were to release a 'similarly themed' 616 wave like they did when XMOWolverine & the Cap & Thor movies came out.

Could not agree more. My favourite x-books over the past 10 years have almost always been which-ever ones didn't put wolverine front & centre. Over-exposed is, truly, an understatement.

"mutants of japan"? Well Sunfire is Mariko's cousin... but I personally don't want to see him in the movie, as it's almost terminally crowded as it is.

I don't really want to see any of those people in the film - i meant more that if DST were to release a 'similarly themed' 616 wave like they did when XMOWolverine & the Cap & Thor movies came out.

Could not agree more. My favourite x-books over the past 10 years have almost always been which-ever ones didn't put wolverine front & centre. Over-exposed is, truly, an understatement.

I couldn't disagree more, the best x-stories to date have had wolverine front and center, the dark angel saga is great example. There's a reason why characters like wolverine and spiderman get so much exposure, they're bad a$$, they're like-able, they're thoroughly entertaining. Wolverine is the best there is at what he does, and what he does best is over exposure.

But that's just me, I keep buying uncanny avengers, even though the art is crappy and it never ships on time and the story has been slow, just because wolverine is in the book.

Well, matticus, you are certainly going to be interesting to have around. And I mean that in the "always good to get the opposing view" kinda way.

Thanx miry, and I know I'm probably in the minority of this group, while I would love to get a toad, or a squirrel girl mate, I'm always excited to get more wolverines, caps, etc.. Some people might say why does wolverine need two monthly solo titles when he's already featured in 4 different team books? Well, because people like me will buy every single one of them and marvel knows it.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind Wolverine... i get why he's popular. I even like reading him. I just don't need the total saturation of him in the comics. In movies and toys, it's totally reasonable. Toy lines don't need to worry about the story telling & movies don't come out often enough to have an impact on or over-clutter a universe, but when it starts getting in the way of continuity like it does in the comics - i get exhausted.

Age of Apocalypse was an awesome cross-over for me, because it felt like EVERYONE got their chance to shine. Each character was a little cog in the x-men machine. Wolverine had a job to do... but it was just one job. He wasn't charged with Killing apocalypse, rescuing Magik, Stopping the cullings, finding Destiny AND retreiving Bishop. I appreciate that Wolverine sells books, but he's got a healing factor, not a time machine. How he manages to be the Headmaster at a school, a full-time Avenger, a black-ops murder-squad leader & a solo adventurer without any overlap just boggles my mind.

The issue is that i think Marvel knows this... but they don't care. They KNOW that people will buy the books, even if the stories don't add up. I guess it's Wolverines representation of Marvel's obsession with the bottom line that bothers me more than the character himself.

also - welcome aboard, matticus396 smile.png

Edited by Nessex

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind Wolverine... i get why he's popular. I even like reading him. I just don't need the total saturation of him in the comics. In movies and toys, it's totally reasonable. Toy lines don't need to worry about the story telling & movies don't come out often enough to have an impact on or over-clutter a universe, but when it starts getting in the way of continuity like it does in the comics - i get exhausted.

Age of Apocalypse was an awesome cross-over for me, because it felt like EVERYONE got their chance to shine. Each character was a little cog in the x-men machine. I appreciate that Wolverine sells books, but he's got a healing factor, not a time machine. How he manages to be the Headmaster at a school, a full-time Avenger, a black-ops murder-squad leader & a solo adventurer without any overlap just boggles my mind.

The issue is that i think Marvel knows this... but they don't care. They KNOW that people will buy the books, even if the stories don't add up. I guess it's Wolverines representation of Marvel's obsession with the bottom line that bothers me more than the character himself.

also - welcome aboard, matticus396 smile.png

part of why people will buy the books without the stories lining up is because they like the character and what to read the stories with said character and DON'T CARE if the stories line up at all. I am not trying to harsh on those fans on continuity and having the comic universes line up perfectly but much like people who gripe about movies being unrealistic people are all too happy to accept fantastic characters with amazing abilities/powers yet all the ducks across multiple books must match up otherwise its crap? I don't buy it and have left/stopped reading comic sites/message boards because of narrow mindedness like this. Not a personal knock against anyone, to each their own, just my 2 cents...or since we have dropped the penny I guess it makes this my nickels worth lol thumbsup.gif

Jeff of the Miniacs

hmmm - i suppose you're right. I have no problem people having claws or wings or laser-vision, so why should unrealistic continuity issues bother me?

The answer is... i don't know. LOL.

I guess another reason it bothers me is because i'd like to see a lot more characters featured in books, but i feel like certain ones are hogging the lime-light a little bit too much.

Anyway - i've taken this topic waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay of course. Apologies.

So - Apparently the trailer for the film has been delayed. Hope this doesn't mean they're going to have some difficulties getting the finished product out on time too.

How about just most of the ducks?

To me continuity is a tool that can aid good story telling in a shared universe, not a straight-jacket. You also gotta be flexible, but on the other hand you have to be willing to play well with others.

Let me clearer about Wolverine... I liked him better when he was trying harder to restrain his baser instincts, when killing somebody bummed him out because it represented him not trying to be a better man. Now he kills at whenever wherever, it makes him the Punisher with claws, and thus less interesting to me. (and totally unsuited for the Avengers as I like them best, but that's another issue) WatXM was the first glimmer of the character I liked with him trying to be respectable and head up the school. X-Force sits at the other end of that spectrum, and probably why I just skim that book to keep track of Warren and Betsy. Guess I'm just old that way.

No, I agree Miry. If they want Wolverine to be a leader/teacher trying to be a positive influence on the younger mutants at Xavier's, I'm fine with that. If they want him to be the guy who will do what others won't in X-Force, I'm fine with that. I think it's cheap to have him doing both simultaneously. It's obviously done because Wolverine sells, but I feel like it takes away the opportunity for another character to rise up in one of the two roles. And I'll never buy him as a member of the Avengers. I don't ever see him being accepted into that environment. I like the idea of adding mutants to the Avengers to incorporate other parts of the Marvel Universe into the group, but Wolverine was chosen first and foremost because he's popular, not because he was the ideal choice. Again, I get all the reasons why they're doing it, I just don't like it.

Ok I agree with you there, wolverine is in too many places at once to be believable, but hey it's comics we believe radiation gives you super powers and doesn't kill you. What I will say about my favorite character is he has been written out of character as of late. Some may call it character development in the writers defense, but I would say its just completely hypocritical for ol wolvie to go around murdering and then tell cyclops he's being too militant. Like in schism cyclops and wolverine were throwing high fives one issue then the were trying to kill each other the next. It was just a way for the marvel architects to set cyclops up as a militant terrorist villain for AvX and bring wolverine into the spotlight as the new professor X, which is still hard to believe. But it has made for some great reading, I highly recommend wolverine and the x-men. And he doesn't steal the spotlight in that book.