UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Restored "the Wolverine" movie mate speculation thread. Now w/ added "Days of Future Present"

Mirymate

I think the Cyclops Wolverine switch is pretty interesting, but again the way Wolverine is written in X-Force undercuts it in a pretty substantial fashion. If I felt like they were going to build to a story where Wolverine's actions with X-Force were discovered and he had to deal with the consequences of being outed as hypocritical, that could be really interesting, but I don't think that's where they're going, I think they just want us to accept him both ways and move on.

I guess people who prefer one aspect of the character over the other always have a book that suits them, but I think it undoes some of the dramatic impact they're going for in some of the storylines you mentioned.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya know I always thought they were gonna go in that direction with x-force too, but I guess Remender just focused on how each murder they did had specific consequences, *SPOILER ALERT*and wolverines big moment of realization was when he had to kill his own son at the end of the books run. So these days he's trying to distance himself from x-force but psylocke is still going hard.

Edited by matticus396

I guess i comes down to this simple philosophy for me- A hero does what's right, not what's easiest. Killing is what comes easiest for Wolverine, he and Vic are just built for it. That Wolverine was trying to be better than that was what made him different from Sabretooth who has clearly given into it. Lately the difference comes down to what cause they kill for. That's just not heroic to me. YMMV.

Wolverine was put on the Avengers for sales reasons. No one denies that. I just don't think he "fits" storywise. Okay, I get that he was recruited to help them root out corruption in SHIELD, cause I guess for whatever reason they must have figured Tasha was too close to find it. But that whole conspiracy story sort of fizzled out, or written off as Skrull infiltration, cause to my memory it was never definitively resolved. Then I swear his in story reason for being there got lost in the shuffle of the whole Civil War/Dark Reign thing. Really thought he was done being an Avenger when Cap threw him off the plane last summer. Apparently not though. Always thought Storm, Colossus, and Havok were better "fits". Of course that was before Piotr's recent dark streak. Again, YMMV.

But to be back on track for the thread...

These were announced at TF, 3.75 poorly articulated Wolvie All-Stars featuring what I can only guess is movie Silver Samurai

A3336%20Wolveine%20All-Stars__scaled_600

>shrug< Make of it what you will.

I'm always excited to get more wolverines, caps, etc..

So YOU'RE the guy!?!?! C'mon everyone, GET HIM!!!!angry-mob.jpg[Just kidding, Matticus396. Welcome to the MMMV, hope you survive the experience!]

Lol!

I think that silver samurai suit looks pretty rad, I feel bad for those 3.75 inch collectors because that articulation is strait out of the late 70s. I think it would translate well into minimate form, and I'm really hoping this movie gets some minimate action. I have high expectations for this film, they want to distance themselves from the origins film and that's not a bad idea.

I'm not sure we'll get minimates from the movie itself, but I really do hope that we get a wave of comic based characters that are ones that are featured in the movie also. I like the First Class 'mates a lot, but I don't think that they sold particularly well, so that combined with the delay with getting these made based on a movie that seem to be rushed beyond all be damned, I think if we're lucky we'll get some comic based characters and that's all. They still haven't even released a trailer yet, and the movies coming out in a few months. I doubt there'll be any toys based on these, because of the amount of time it takes to get these things made, and I think that Silver Samurai is being made based on the fact that he's probably pretty close his comic counterpart, I don't think they actually have seen much of anything from the movie itself to make the toys.

Just to chime in:

Wolverine being a teacher/Avenger/killer all at the same time was terrible. I never understood, personally, why they didn't put Cable back in charge of X-Force sooner. It made perfect sense. He HAD no rep. Plus, no member of X-Force should be so recognizable. If this is your "These guys kill because X-Men don't" team, then it makes no sense to have the most recognizable X-Man lead it.

Now, Wolverine as both teacher and Avenger worked for me, if you keep him reigned in in both roles. Show him FINALLY becoming more than what he was bred for. Then kill off half his class and watch him sink back into his old ways.

Ya know, wolverine as an avenger rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but up until new avengers came out, I never messed with anything avengers. I kind of hated them, thought they were second rate heroes. Then they put spiderman and wolverine on the team and of course I started reading. The whole civil war and house of m happened, and it turns out the avengers are freaking awesome. And I found a great fondness for Cap and ironman who I couldn't care less about before. So really is wolverines over exposure such a bad thing?

So you guys think we will or won't be getting mates for this film? It's kinda lookin grim.

Grim is an understatment, since I agree with Valo.

Usually Zach pops on to drop torturously vague clues by now, but he's still in TF recovery mode.

Yep, this is why I wish marvel studios held the lisencing for x-men instead of fox. We would be getting the full treatment for this movie if they did. Instead, if I wasn't a die hard x-men fan I probably wouldn't even know this movie was comming out. No trailers, very little advertisement, I feel like I've heard more about the next spiderman movie and the DoFP movie than this one and its out this summer. But we will see I guess, the first class mates kind of came out of no where, so I will hold on to a small shred of hope.

Not looking good, boys.

The Select figure is looking GREAT, though.

ugh this makes me sad right here...was hoping for a few new mates that may fill voids in the Marvel universe, be it comic or movie versions

Jeff of the Miniacs

Isn't that every wave of Marvel Minimates? 50 and 51 definitely fill voids. The Thor Movie wave will, too.

Marvel's not even pushing a licensing program for this movie. The last solo Wolverine flick didn't do particularly well in terms of merchandising. It's too big of a risk for retailers, especially when you've got so many other genre properties to compete with and a toy market that's more volatile than ever.

Back in my day, toys came out after the movie. That way the property would prove its popularity at the box office first, manufacturers could feel more confident acquiring the license, and licensors got to enjoy bidding wars over their properties. Given the economy and frugal corporate spending when it comes to risky investments like this, we may be seeing this trend returning.

That's because the last Wolverine movie was less kid friendly than the previous X-films. Ditto X:FC. It's why, IMO, Dark Knight toys never seem to move as well as they "should" because despite it being Batman; the movies just aren't kids appropriate. (forget friendly, I have a decently mature 11 y/o that I won't let see Dark Knight. Too intense, there will be nightmares) Marvel self produced films somehow manage to be entertaining to adults, and mostly kid friendly, so their toys sell better. (at least from my limited observations) "The Wolverine" and X-4 are going to be dark, dark movies just from proper treatment of the subject matter. That limits the kids audience (at least it should from parents with sense), thus limits the toy sales.

Or Disney is just being jerks and trying to pressure Fox into handing things over by limiting the licensing revenue. Wouldn't rule that out either.

As far as minimates... Maybe a boxed set honoring the Wolverine miniseries with a black clad Wolverine, Silver Samurai, Yukio, and ninja could serve as a "oh what a coincidence" not-movie tie in.

As far as minimates... Maybe a boxed set honoring the Wolverine miniseries with a black clad Wolverine, Silver Samurai, Yukio, and ninja could serve as a "oh what a coincidence" not-movie tie in.

Replace the ninja with Viper and I'd say they pretty much covered it.

Not looking good, boys.

The Select figure is looking GREAT, though.

I hope you're not referring to the upcoming Days of Future Past movie! Is DST actively pursuing minimates for that movie? Because it sounds like it's shaping up to be something awesome!

No, I'm referring to the subject of this thread. DOFP is a ways off.

Well no great loss if there are no minimates from the movie since most of us were hoping for either comic-based minimates of the characters in the movie or movie-mates that were close enough to pass as comic versions.

Maybe no one was interested due to Origins and First Class sales.