UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Birthday Elephant 2013

It's been a year, and, aside from a few little hiccups, the inaugural MMMV Birthday Elephant gift exchange was a smashing success! And so, by popular demand, it's back for another year.

Before we begin, I'd like to give a heartfelt thanks to all of the participants from 2012. I was admittedly a bit leery about launching this concept; whereas Secret Santa is contained within a month or so timeframe during which everyone is in "gift buying mode," this was spread out over a year during which any number of circumstances could change for people who signed up. It could have easily fallen apart, and I'm so thankful to everyone who stuck to their word and made sure it didn't. I really do believe 'Versers are a unique breed of boardies, and the kindness, generosity, and thoughtfulness of everyone here makes things like this possible. I will be posting positive feedback for each participant in last year's exchange. (We do have one recipient whose birthday hasn't come round yet, so there will be a slight overlap between this sign-up period and the end of last year's exchange period. I'm sure that last recipient won't be disappointed HINT HINT. :lol: )

On with The Rules:

Participants in the MMMV Birthday Elephant gift exchange will be assigned a "birthday elephant," another board member who remembers your birthday and sends you something special.

1) The most important rule: Elephants. Do. Not. Forget. This will be a little trickier than Secret Santa, as you may not be in gift-buying mode when your recipient's birthday rolls around. Nonetheless, you will be expected to remember his or her birthday and send your gift within an appropriate mailing timeframe (2-3 weeks for US members, 3-4 weeks for international members). I'll send you a reminder email one month before your recipient's birthday, but if you're planning a time-intensive gift like a custom, you'll need to schedule your time accordingly.

2) There is no minimum trading feedback needed to participate. However, if you have been on the board for less than six months you need to contact me prior to signing up so you can be approved.

3) There will be two groups you can participate in: those who only want to ship within the United States and those who are willing to ship outside of the United States. See below for specific shipping dates.

Signing Up

If you want to sign up, please email minimatebirthdays@yahoo.com with the following info (with Birthday Elephant Info and your MMMV board name as the subject). For ease of recordkeeping, please don't send your information via PM.

• Minimate Multiverse board name

• Your birthday

• E-mail address

• Name and address for packages to be shipped to

• Special shipping instructions (if any):

• Are you willing to be a backup Elephant?

• Do you want to only ship within the United States or are you willing to ship internationally.

• Anyone you DON'T want to be assigned to for whatever reason.

• Items you're interested in receiving or absolutely do not want.This should be a general list of reasonable items. Of course we'd all like a toilet made of solid gold, but it's probably not in the cards. Because this will be going on all year, new items may crop up on your wish list; if you'd like to send an updated list, please do so at least one month before your actual birthday.

• Any additional info your Birthday Elephant should know.

This info must be submitted no later than Friday, January 11 to participate. Once I have everyone's information, I’ll send out emails to each participant by Wednesday January 16th. You’ll be responsible for the name you receive (no trading allowed). People will be paired up randomly from within the pools of "US shipping" and "International shipping" participants.

Sending and Receiving Your Gift

As mentioned above, you'll need to remember when your recipient's birthday is and send his or her gift with an appropriate amount of shipping time:

International packages should be sent with a three- to four-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Tuesday May 15, you should send no later than Tuesday, April 24).

US packages should be sent be sent with a two- to three-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Tuesday May 15, you should send no later than Tuesday, May 1).

The sooner you can send the better; nobody hates getting an early birthday present, but a late one is kind of lame.

In order to give people with January birthdays a fair shot, the official gifting period will run from February 16, 2013 through February 16, 2014. So, if you want to participate, but your birthday is, say, tomorrow, don't worry, you'll still get a gift (it'll just be a bit of a wait...)

When you receive your gift, please post in this thread with pictures, guesses of who sent it, and thanks to your Elephant. By posting here, it’ll be easier to keep track of who has received their packages. And for those who can’t guess their Elephant correctly, I’ll reveal all in one year, in February 2014.

The minimum amount to spend is $10 (US).

There is a minimum, but no maximum. If you want to shower someone with gifts, that’s awesome, but just make sure you’re prepared to possibly receive a gift from someone who can only afford $10. And however much you spend, please be considerate and not send anything that could be deemed offensive.

Worst case scenario

If you can’t send your recipient a gift, please, please, please contact me as soon as possible.

By signing up, you are expected to send something. If you feel you can’t live up to your end of the bargain, please don’t sign up. We've been running Secret Santa and Birthday Elephant for several years running and haven't had major problems with volunteers sending gifts; however, this event is running over the course of a year, and I know circumstances can change a lot in that time. If something happens after you’ve signed up and you are unable to fulfill your duties as a Birthday Elephant, please contact me as soon as you know that you won’t be able to send a gift so that an alternate Elephant can make sure your recipient gets a gift.

Again: please, please, please contact me as soon as you can if something goes off the rails and you can't send a gift. I plan to make sure every participant gets a gift one way or another so please try to be respectful of everyone else. For anyone that chooses to not send something and doesn’t work it out beforehand, you’ll be banned from future Birthday Elephants and you’ll receive appropriate feedback in the Feedback Forum.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me if you need to. Thanks in advance to everyone interested in bringing birthday surprises to their fellow 'Versers (and helping us go two-for-two with this crazy experiment)!

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My gifts arrived today & Phil, I am just blown away . I'll say no more for the moment but I'm going to get some photographs of these to show off to the world.........stunning Minimates & so much fun .

Digger wanted "how much?" for a 'Minimate of your likeness' .......me ,I just get one in the post for my birthday tongue.png

Thankyou very very much thumbsup.gif

My gifts arrived today & Phil, I am just blown away . I'll say no more for the moment but I'm going to get some photographs of these to show off to the world.........stunning Minimates & so much fun .

Digger wanted "how much?" for a 'Minimate of your likeness' .......me ,I just get one in the post for my birthday tongue.png

Thankyou very very much thumbsup.gif

Rob,

you were a tough one to crack, but I'm glad. It allowed me the opportunity to make you something special rather than just getting you items off a list. My firts true customs have a very good home, and I'm happy to hear they didn't arrive too long after I mailed them. I know I missed your birthday by a couple days, and I apologize for that but I'm glad you like what I sent smile.png I did snap some pics before I sent them off, but I completely understand if you would rather be the first to show them off.

Happy birthday mate!

Feel free to post my friend because your pictures will undoubtedly eclipse my legendary skill-less efforts & my internet service is currently playing havoc with my patience.

Honestly ,I'd have been happy with anything but... I kid you not.... one of those items in particular....you know which one.... almost brought tears of joy to my eyes.

.....& another thing ,,,,,if those are your 'first true customs' then you are going to be amongst the best here & that is not just flattery.

......yet another thing ....you're amongst those people that have helped me get my collection together ,I never forget & just because I'm about the worst person in the universe at typing & PM'ing regularly it doesn't mean diddly . You're a great friend amongst many here.

OTT ? Nope just the truth from a very happy Butt.smile.png Thankyou.

My Birthday Elephant knows that finding Minimates isn't usually a problem for me, so he sent me some exclusive colors of the OMFG figures that I love!

Neon Green:

s2_neon_green_with_can_zps1a25a32e.png

Translucent "Ice":

News_zps28b037a0.jpg

And also Blood Red, which are a preorder that should be arriving in the next few weeks.

Thank you so much, minijeff! I love them!

The Birthday Elephant visited me as well this week, with a well-decorated package:

post-66-0-46080900-1361674493_thumb.jpg

I got a bunch of Minimates, some cool Franken-Mates, a great set of paint brushes and a Kuma / Rolento set, which is great because that wave still hasn't shown up around here! Plus I got a very cool sketch card of Minimate Professor X.

post-66-0-57128400-1361674503_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, Undeadpool!