UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's high time we started speculating about something.So here is some new stuff:

This pics was taken from mcrawford's coverage of DST'S BOOTH! Notice something strange about this?Yep,the dc characters!You can't help but wonder what the deal behind this is.Maybe it's the first step.In my opinion there is bad blood between dc and dst due to that batman animation which was made without permission.Maybe they (warner bros) after the success of thundercats and the fact that most of dst and aa has changed want to give it another go but not immediatelly.They will produce banks which if the proccess is smooth may lead to dc mates.That or they're being jackasses and like to tease us.One thing that surprised me was that when people asked about star wars minimates Chuck always said never say never.Though from when disney bought lucasarts his responses are :i don't think it's gonna happen".What caused this?

tf2013_diamond_65.jpg

Lucasfilm has had a history of licensing to anyone, especially smaller companies where their proerpty wasn't competing with many others. In a smaller portfolio within a modestly sized company, Star Wars can get the attention it demands.

DST has approached Disney on a few occasions and has been turned down. Chuck's concern probably stems from a belief that Disney will take over Lucas Licensing and so far that's not true at all. In fact, Disney doesn't even handle Marvel's licensing. They bought these companies because they were doing things right, not because they needed fixing. Disney has told Lucasfilm employees – from ILM to Lucas Licensing – that it's "business as usual."

However, when it comes to DC licensing, WBCP took the reins when WB cleaned house in NYC and moved all businesses except publishing to California. Hopefully with a different cast of characters at DC/WB and AA/DST, the chances of getting another shot at DC Minimates is better.

Diamond Comic Distributors (our sister company and specialty market distributor) distributes toys from dozens of companies through their Previews catalog, including Monogram, who have been making Marvel and DC banks forever. There are often unpainted prototypes at Toy Fair, and Monogram wanted to show those to buyers, I guess. The Diamond Comics booth is full of stuff from other companies, and some press still don't understand the difference, since our booths are connected.

And there is no bad blood between DST and DC Direct. DC Direct is also connected to our booth, because Diamond Comics distributes their product to specialty, and we actually distribute DC Direct product to Toys R Us. We are all friends, that is purely a business decision that now probably involves more companies than just the two of us.

Sorry I have been absent from this thread, was waiting for a green light on the reveal. When I first teased it, I thought the toys were a lot closer than they were. They'll be out in early March, and I'll try to post the story on Monday. It's written and scheduled. I even took a couple of action shots I'll show later on.

Edited by Zach Oat

I can't find the post now but it had to do with the dave school batman animation (i'll keep searching).When warner bros were gearing up for the gritty reboot they wanted all campy batman stuff removed (logical,everyone new that).Digger though,with dave school and made that animation without wb's permission.Wb found that bad so they didn't move forward with the batman begins mates.This was brought up recently but i don't remeber who posted it.Dc direct is another thing.Bassically IF there is some bad blood it was between wb and old dst.And that's a big IF.

At this point, I think yes they are just being contrary, or there is some really bad blood with DST? Maybe they just view Minimates as a "Marvel" vehicle, on top of the fact that DST makes other Marvel products, that they feel DST are an outright competitor to DC products. Aside from the DC Minimates licensing agreement, has DST EVER produced anything DC related?

Someone's being contrary.

I read something a while ago on Facebook that led me to believe that bad blood between DC and AA went all the way back to Digger. I don't recall the specifics but that was the impression I got.

As for viewing Minimates as a Marvel vehicle; no more than LEGO or Funko or Hot Toys or Squinkies. Seems like someone at DC/WBCP has blacklisted AA/DST from ever getting a WB license.

And it really isn't just about the DCU license. DST can't even get rights to a WB property like Thundercats unless it's as a third-party licensee. The closest AA's ever come that I can recall is with Lord of the Rings and that was through WB's sister company, New Line.

I've mentioned before that WBCP licenses certain properties seperately. If The Powers That Be really wanted DC Minimates on the pegs, they'd be offering DST the rights to everything from Young Justice and The Brave and the Bold cartoons to Arkham City and Injustice: Gods Among Us video games.

If DC fans really want Minimates, I'd seriously recommend a Kickstarter campaign. Get enough cash together to get a DC property from WBCP for Minimates and hire DST to develop, manufacture, and distribute the line. Worst case scenario: You'll learn why DC Collectibles isn't interested in DC Minimates based on their experience doing it as DC Direct.

Now I remember. Back when Digger did the Batman: New Times video, he did it without DC's permission. That's a pretty big no-no, especially for a licensee.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Digger back in January 2012 courtesy of some guy named Jeff at Portrait of an Addiction:

"Shortly after this DC was giving us heat about Batman Begins; they wanted us to make sure any and all signs of 60's bat campiness were erased from the planet Earth. We did Batman New Times with DAVE School completely without permission. This was before the majority of the fan films you see on the net and we were trying to get them to sanction this killer DAVE School Batman animation. They told us NO."

Some might recall that AA had put together Minimates designs specifically for Batman Begins in anticipation of continuing the license. While AA intended to move forward, apparently DC/WB did not.

I found the posts.

Edited by Kostisfire

sarcasm-1.gif

I asked DST on Twitter about the retailer exclusive and all I got was "Not 'till early March."

Well, everything's going to hell. Sounds like it's going the way of the Mummy 4-pack. Another missed window of opportunity due to factory issues. First that, then the shortage on Marvel Series 48, and now this. I hope DST gets a handle on these problems in China soon or we'll ALL be collecting Funko Pop this summer.

I knew there was a reason I stayed out of this thread. Too much RAMPANT SPECULATION. At least it's contained here. Since speculation and I don't get along, I'll stay out after this one last post.

There are NO factory issues, the retailer just has a long distribution time to their stores. Mummy 4-pack was a miscommunication with the factory (lso not a "factory issue") that was discovered too late. The retailer already HAS this new exclusive. It's not going away unless they decide to dump it in a landfill like the old ET Atari game.

And I don't think any of that DC stuff is anything other than speculation on a lot of people's parts. We have a WB license right now, in fact. Digger said WB didn't like New Times, but I don't think that's why the Batman Begins Minimates didn't happen. When there are multiple licensors involved, that changes the game. Also, that was AA, not DST.

Well speculation leads to many things in the long road. I created this thread so we could talk about little bits and pieces of info like the "Peter pan" set or the bag of bases (what happened to that?) and not speculation on what happened 5 years ago. Though sometimes one things leads to another (like how the wd mates lead to who is a virgin in the marvel u in the toy fair thread). Not being here at the start of dc mates I can't talk about anything regarding that (only wish for their return) so I just copied/pasted these posts regarding that. We should all just blame mcrawford and his misleading pics! Right?

Also that WB licence is thundercats right?

Edited by Kostisfire

oh man.. Zach stops by and not a single comment as to which Disney Princess he was with on Valentines Day.. I kind of see him as a Belle type of guy.. .. maybe Rapunzel. ...but I digress.

This has been my favorite thread to catch up on day to day. I look forward to March.. I seriously love not knowing! for whatever reason it makes me more interested. tongue.png

If this turns out to be just about any Disney license, I will buy up every bit of it. I absolutely love how vast and different the Minimate world has become. Even though DC, Doctor Who and Star Wars would be my 1, 2, and 3 greatest minimate wish.. I still get excited to see every new license that comes along!!

Long live the Minis!!

Edited by The Vox

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things but what if it isn't a Disney Store exclusive?

Walmart is selling Minimates online now and Zach just mentioned that DST does have a WB license. Of course if we're talking about a retailer that has a long distribution time to their stores, look no further than TRU.

I'm not trying to kill any fairies here but maybe it's not Peter Pan after all, especially since it didn't coincide with the release of the Blu-Ray after all.

I'll stay out after this one last post.

That makes me sad sad.png

Thanks for clearing up the DC/DST stuff, I was about to sharpen my pitchfork!

Please feel free to keep posting in this thread!

I have to pick a nit here. Zach specifically said "DC Direct."

I don't think there's any bad blood between DC Direct/DC Collectibles and AA/DST at all. I do think that someone at WBCP could have a long memory about Batman New Times and has been reluctant to work with AA due to that. However, if DST has a WB license, I'd love to know what it is.