UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Come back youbastards, we miss you.

Ivan

Yeah, I would think it a shame if YB was to leave because of some lame issues happening on eBay and a disagreement with a guy who helped create Minimates but has very little to do with what they are now, or with this site specifically (he created his account to shill his project, and left after he accomplished his goal).

And I also think that completionism would kill my potential interest in collecting. I mostly collect the stuff I want, and try to really rein in that urge to buy more to complete this or that line even though I don't need it. Seems like it would be a chore to collect in order to appease your obsessive dispositions rather than the real joy of enjoying your stuff if you start doing all that. No offense to those that do it, but that's how it would feel to me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of factors have contributed to this for me, Digger's Kickstarter project, compounded with lack of consistent Quality Control, compounded with costs involved of maintaining my collecting habits, etc. After the drama in the old eBay thread, I decided I was too emotionally invested in this hobby and the community and decided to back off and re-evaluate what is important to me. Ever since I contributed to Kickstarter, I have regretted it, and (as I am sure many of you can relate to the feeling) maintaining the hobby won out over practicality. There were also a few side projects that I was working on at the time I decided to stop, one being helping BHM with his Price Guide, the other being a Minimate-related personal project that some of you know about. I was neck deep in Minimates, and I think I just hit my limit and needed to step away.

I can relate to this feeling. When I first got into collecting toys seriously, my biggest passion was Justice League Unlimited. I also became a regular at AFI, the unofficial JLU board. After being an active member there for a few years (at one point, I was among the top 10 posters), I got what I took to be a somewhat nasty and unnecessary PM from one of the mods there (NOT Dan or Jason, I should point out) telling me to stop telling people not to start new threads or some such (I believe I'd written "there's already a thread for this" or "does this need a thread?" a few times). I started to compose a long reply, about how much I cared about AFI despite not being a mod... and then I realized, fuck it, I don't really care about AFI. It's just an internet toy board, with plenty of jerks, and I spent much too much time engaged in pointless arguments there. So I just stopped posting there. Now, I think the community's different here; it's smaller, and there's not really any jerks around here, and very few threads veer off into flame wars. But I can understand the need to dial it back. Collecting, whatever it is, should always be a HOBBY; any time it feels like a chore, or that the what you're getting out of it doesn't match what you're putting in (financially, emotionally, whatever) it's time to reassess. I do hope you hang around at least a little bit, YB, because I've always enjoyed your posts, but if you've gotta go you've gotta go.

I've had my 'wobbles' when it comes to collecting Minimates & yb's situation is no mystery to me....been there.

Regards Digger's antics ....I think I'm pretty much on record as to what my feelings are or were or will be ...odd very odd but also very very predictable .

QC ? Can be irritating especially when you KNOW what DST is capable of......I'm sure DST are just as irritated.

Completism ? God help me .....at the last count I think I have 6 of every retail Minimate ever made & apart from Gold & Silver Spidey 3 of everything else. WHY?? Don't ask me I have no idea....just collect them & shut the f*ck up :biggrin:

'Nil carborundum illegitimii' is my personal advice to yb . :thumbsup:

On the QC issue, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Minimate quality has been hit or miss from as far back as I started collecting. You get good waves, you get stinkers (Spidey Friends and Foes and Secret Invasion both stick out, and they were from a few years ago), and you get in-betweeners. I personally don't feel there has been a systematic downward spiral in QC. But it does suck when you just don't know what you're gonna get from wave to wave.

No offense to those that do it, but that's how it would feel to me.

I'm offended.

Even if you drop Minimates all together, I hope you continue to post over here from time to time.

I say if you stop with Minimates you get booted off of the site (unless you decide to pay the annual Minimate tribute necessary to stay-I can send you the address if you need it).

Man, sometimes it just sucks to be doing anything you like doing. While I've never been a completeist and never saw the draw of doing that (most likely because I just do not have th money needed for that, if I did, maybe I would, but I doubt it) everyone who does like YB and BHM and what not just have me in awe. YB if you have to leave for a while or quit collecting minimates altogether or whatever you have to do, by all means do it. But I would be remiss if I didn't say that I personally do not want you to leave completely. I'll understand if it goes that way, because really it's not up to anyone but you, but still, sad day that will be. I hope everything works out for you with the Kickstarter thing. The Internet is a scary place, and while I have no investment in that, I know people here do and if it turns bad, then that will be awful, I believe.

I'm sappy.

'Nil carborundum illegitimii' is my personal advice to yb . :thumbsup:

I had to look that translation up, as I didn't go to Hogwarts. :thumbsup:

I say if you stop with Minimates we get boosted off of the site.

Fixed! :highfive2:

Even if you don't return to the Minimate game, I hope we still get updates on your 1/6 stuff as I loved your Indy work.

Thanks! 1/6 (or 'dollies' as GH calls them) have been my primary focus lately.

Trying to be a Minimate completionist is practically impossible. At one point, up until about the time Marvel wave 16 or 17 hit the streets, I had every Minimate released to retail, both loose and MIP, plus packaging variants and most promos. ALL of them, not just Marvel. Collecting had started to get difficult to the point where I was starting to loose interest. I knew I couldn't do it anymore, so I shifted gears. Now I only collect the lines I like and I don't get crazy about rehashes or odd variants. I still give myself nightmares because my favorite Minimates to collect are promos and I haven't been to a con in about 3 years. I also love the errors pieces and protos, but those just don't fall from the sky...

My best advice, step away for a bit, check back in and see if the passion is rekindled. It was for me. :highfive2:

I say if you stop with Minimates we get boosted off of the site.

Fixed! :highfive2:

I saw what you did there ;)

However(addressed to all) .......forgive the sermon.... I'm confident that everybody here pretty much knows when they've crossed the line & when they have ....they reap what they sow . On the other hand nobody is perfect so maybe say your piece & then forgive & forget ?

I don't know about y'all, but I count on people forgetting. Otherwise I'd have been run out of town long ago. ;)

My guess (and the mods have my permission to trim this part out if it's too off-topic) is that the unnamed incident is so fresh in peoples minds, not because the fact it was super annoying, but because it was attached to a larger, more controversial event, and sometimes it's easier to take your frustration out on the underdog. So forgiving and forgetting sounds good to me.

I could never be a completest with Minimates, because I'm forever tinkering with them. Even before I started customizing hardcore (yeah, I know what I said! Get yer mind outta the gutter!) I was still forever swapping heads, giving accessories to someone else. I think Minimates are best enjoyed when personalized.

I basically only buy comics figures, so I usually just buy any non-Marvel figures if I think they're cool (or I'm going to canibalize them). I think that's the best way to approach 'em: buy the ones you think are neat, pass on the others.

just read through the last few pages of the last ebay thread, I do hope you stick around yb, and don't head off due to a few c*nts being c*nty.

It can't count as elitist if 'the elite' are simply trying to stop arseholes behaving accordingly.

... forgive me for missing it, was anything done by the mods if/when Luke's decals were being used for financial gain?

I have to say, I've re-evaluated my collecting a few times in the last ten years. I've gone from Collecting the largest figures I could possibly find in any series of figures that were available to currently being lucky enough to even get the very few minmates I am looking for. Being a freelance artist, I don't have a constant income but I do stash away little bits here and there and now, I only purchase the minimates I absolutely love. Sure it was a hard decision but after looking things over, I realized that there are a lot more important things that I need than my collections.

Best wishes to you YB, I do hope everything works out.....and do hope you stick around here!