UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thundercats Minimates

Got my Thudercats set today. Man, they're beautiful. Pictures don't do them justice either. The colors are all vibrate and amazing. All the paint apps are clean and amazing. I did have to clear coat the emblem as a preemptive measure, just in case. The tape pulled a few little flecks of the emblem on the large sword of omens, so I figured better safe than sorry. They're drying now, then probably another coat for good measure to dry over night, and then tomorrow I'll really play around with them. It's also going to be nice to welcome Jaga into TTFC. Mwahahaha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived last week but I have kept them in the bag Luke sent them in until me friend can lend me her husband's quick coat. I've personally never applied ANYTHING like this before and I am worried I could smear the emblems when I apply the coat. Can someone please give me some advice on the best way to apply the stuff without risk of smearing the emblems and are multiple coats advisable? How long does one take to dry?

Don't they look great :biggrin:

A 3000 is not unusual although I'd agree with 2000 more often being the norm .......I always feel kind of special when I think of how many other people collect Minimates . I guess I'd be happier if there were more of 'us' but it's a fact of life that not everybody is as discerning as a Minimate collector.

BHM, I think Minimates are getting more and more recognized. I'm not saying Marvel isn't a huge license, but one of these days, something is going to get the Minimate treatment that breaks this line even more wide open. It could be something big like Star Wars or small like Robocop, but it will happen. Or I could be totally wrong...

I believe you're right Shane & I believe that 'The Walking Dead' 'mates could well be the line to do it .

Dr.Who would definitely have been the licence to do it ....alas that will never be.

What's the deal with dr who? Why did it never happen and why can't it happen? I'm watching seasons 1-6 now (currently I'm in season 2 towards the end) and I'd really like some mates.

Edited by Kostisfire

Dr. Who would have been epic. The Walking Dead might have the legs to do it. Also, Marvel is a different beast these days since the breakout movies it has produced. It just might have the strength nowadays. Its interesting to watch kids get excited over "second tier" characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow.

I could be wrong, but I believe all box set exclusives are now 3k. I know the first T-cats set was.

And for the record, my three year old's favorite characters are Black Widow and Hawkeye, or as he used to refer to them, Blank Window and Hawk Guy.

Your son has some pretty good taste. Might as well complete the trifecta and introduce a certain Soldier... :thumbsup:

I could be wrong, but I believe all box set exclusives are now 3k. I know the first T-cats set was.

And for the record, my three year old's favorite characters are Black Widow and Hawkeye, or as he used to refer to them, Blank Window and Hawk Guy.

All three of my boys call him Hawk Guy too.

And just to riff on Shane's wide open point, I think we are one celebrity + Minimate Tweet pic away from Minimates exploding. I'm thinking the Gangnam Style guy.

Edited by Jatta Pake

I believe you're right Shane & I believe that 'The Walking Dead' 'mates could well be the line to do it .

Dr.Who would definitely have been the licence to do it ....alas that will never be.

What's the deal with dr who? Why did it never happen and why can't it happen? I'm watching seasons 1-6 now (currently I'm in season 2 towards the end) and I'd really like some mates.

The company that holds the merch license (Underground Toys?) contacted DST about doing Minimates, and had them draw up some designs, but for whatever reason decided not to pursue them. I don't think we've ever gotten any kind of official reason other then "thanks but no thanks".

IMHO, Dr. Who wouldn't have blown Minimates wide open, at least not in America. It's still too much of a niche property here. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the thing Minimates really needs to go to the next level is a second tentpole property with wide recognition and a deep stable of characters to make. In my mind, the three best choices are Star Wars, Disney (particularly the Princesses), and WWE.

I really hope that we see more properties like Thundercats, though. Small but distinctive cast of characters, easy to complete in just a few sets, and with a dedicated fan base outside of our little circle. I'm pretty sure that, in a few years, these 3-4 Thundercats sets will be among the most sought-after on the secondary market.

Don't they look great :biggrin:

A 3000 is not unusual although I'd agree with 2000 more often being the norm .......I always feel kind of special when I think of how many other people collect Minimates . I guess I'd be happier if there were more of 'us' but it's a fact of life that not everybody is as discerning as a Minimate collector.

Only 3000? Holy guacamole I'm glad I've got the first set! I reckon this set will be the most saught after in a few years, what with Lion-o and Panthro in it. These are some of the best Minimates, ans some of the best action figures, I have ever bought. I love these WAY more than the Bandai Lion-o and Tygra figures!

Completely irrelevent to this thread, but I just ordered the Thor Movie minimates army dump box from ebay and found out there's only 500 of Laufey and Selvig in the WORLD! I cannot WAIT to get Laufey!

That's what I love, you can, with a bit of patience, find all the minimates you are looking for!

The little addictive blighters! One day... one day those For a Few Dollars More minimates will be MINE!

When I get the mutant minimates I'm gonna rock up a Sky Cutter and Nose Diver out of lego, and post some plans of how to make 'em, if anyone else is interested. I might make a Mumm Ra sarcophagus, too!

Seeing the sculpts on the next Thundercats set over on comicsalliance.com, I'm really scratching my head as to why DST doesn't do the TMNT license. The new cartoon first episode had 3.9 million viewers thus securring them a 2nd (26 episode) season. It's only a matter of time before we start seeing TMNT everywhere again- why not in the minimate section? Make it happen DST!! :thumbsup:

I'm really scratching my head as to why DST doesn't do the TMNT license.

I completely agree although who knows what Nickelodeon is doing with the licensing. I think it could be an amazing line for DST and surely there are more TMNT fans than Thundercats fans in terms of sheer numbers. I would love to see a "new" line based on the current cartoon and a "classic" line based on the original comic.

Rant coming in 5....4...3...2..1:

With DST still dragging their feet on 'yet to be made' minimates like say, the brotherhood of evil mutants and only really churning out the 'must haves' with con exclusives like Thundercats- you wonder if they are hiding something from us- and not in a cool reveal way....more like a mattycollector 'screw you over with annoying fees and stipulations' way. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? <_<

Help me to understand DST:

When you have your fans telling you what they want and yet you still don't make it- despite being the ONLY toyline around to make it to a wave 50 in the first place- that's horrible. I can understand with any other toy line (especially from my youth) that hopes of 'character x' to get made are slim---how many years did we all have to wait before we finally got a decent Rouge figure?? But when you have 60+ years of characters to pick from without being hampered by likeness rights or characters of various contract agreements- it boggles the mind. You make them, we'll buy them--it's as simple as that. I know certain characters are left out of various waves to keep you guessing and ultimately continuing buying (who'd want to buy a complete team and never see any other 'new' figures to go with them?)but, why are there so many figures missing??

Are the superhero minimates not doing well? Is that why we've only been seeing movie-mates as of late and branching into other pop culture properties like Walking Dead, Expendables...etc?

If that's the case, why not more cartoons from the 70's and 80's?

Jeff,with respect,how many years did we wait for some f*cker to spell Rogue correctly ? Rogue. Rogue. Rouge makes me see red.Rogue for f8cksake.

Regards what franchises/licenses that 'they' can't get...give 'them' a break please. Do the math ...if it costs big dollar to get a licence ,say $3000 :no: that will add $1 to your average box-set which Captain Winge won't stomach .

TMNT would be great...but at any price ?

I want Ninja Turtles minimates! They're the worlds' most fearsome fight-ii-iing te-ea-am! They're heroes in the half shell and they're

gre-ee-een! Yep, now the theme tune's in your head! Raphael is cool but crude! gimmeabreak! Michaelangelo is the party dude!

PAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAARTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Guess I need to brush up on my x-grammar...or use spell check or people think you're ignorant. Take a breath...

We get tmnt or we don't. Not going to loose sleep over it. Just stating my opinion which doing so on any forum is like opening Pandora's box. Sigh...