UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thundercats Minimates

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how is the tamaya clear holding up?

No problems at all... And on one of the two sets I used it on, i redid most of the symbol with a sharpie, and nothing smudged or bled or anything else.

I hope this doesn't affect the other releases at all, since it seems like it is only happening on lion-0's belt. I hope noone is demanding all the parts be replaced either

I think that it is highly improbable that this particular set would turn up at TRU,these are after all an AFX licence.

Well, it's an Icon Heroes license in general, and an AFX exclusive set specifically.

I only split hairs here because the IH website lists a number of different online stores on the "where to buy" page, suggesting that different sets could potentially be distributed through different channels.

Perhaps one of our enterprising citizen journalists could nab an exclusive interview with IH and learn more about the future plans for this, and other licenses?

I was thinking about the best way to handle the belt issue from a marketing stand point, and I am wondering if it would be feasible to put an extra Lion-O belt, with a non-removable tampo, in one of the next 3 sets. Kind of like the Halo Prophets, where the last one fixes the first two. After all, if you pick up the first one, you are more than likely to get the others. And if you get one with an extra Lion-I belt, you are more likely to hunt down this one (if you don't already have it).

With this wide spread of an issue, I would think something more than an email to CS may be required. I do not have mine yet, but am hoping I do not goof it up befor getting some clear cot paint on it.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Onyx_6

I'm assuming he just did all of the symbols as a precaustion, all I've heard about rubbing off is Lion-O's belt.

I too would like to know if the brush works fine since that's the only clear coat I have right now

Yep, that's right, I only did the symbols. I did them all for two reasons, as a precaution, and it gives a sweet shiny glasslike look just to the symbol. I'll try to get a picture of them.

I use a tamiya clear brush on. It only takes about a minute to do them all. Just one dip, get the excess off, then one stroke across the symbol.

Hope this helps

How's it holding up? After reading Mystery Man's post about the clear nail polish that started good but has now had what sounds like a chemical reaction with the logo paint, how's the Tamiya clear holding up?

How's it holding up? After reading Mystery Man's post about the clear nail polish that started good but has now had what sounds like a chemical reaction with the logo paint, how's the Tamiya clear holding up?

*ahem*

No problems at all... And on one of the two sets I used it on, i redid most of the symbol with a sharpie, and nothing smudged or bled or anything else.

*ahem*

No "Ahem" needed. I saw that post as well. I'm curious if there's *still* been any reaction. Mystery Man saw his after a day or so, so I'd still love a progress report from Nervous.

Just a stab in the dark (no pun intended) but worth a try..... give the affected areas a dose of ultra violet light .

Some inks(paints) are UV curable,they set when exposed to UV ....just try it you've nothing to lose & even leaving the sealed packs in direct sunlight could help but of course only the side being exposed will be affected.

No joke.

I could of course be way off with my suggestion & the ink/paint may be of a completely different nature .

Just a stab in the dark (no pun intended) but worth a try..... give the affected areas a dose of ultra violet light .

Some inks(paints) are UV curable,they set when exposed to UV ....just try it you've nothing to lose & even leaving the sealed packs in direct sunlight could help but of course only the side being exposed will be affected.

No joke.

I could of course be way off with my suggestion & the ink/paint may be of a completely different nature .

You first ;)

Seriously, I'd like to try ideas like this, but I'm nervous enough about screwing the logo up that first thing out of the package, I'm slapping clear paint on it

Edited by Shogi

I appreciate that many might not be taking me seriously....I stress that I am . Leaving a pack in direct sunlight in a safe place can't hurt anything can it ? I am not suggesting that people sit in a suntan parlour with their Minimates.

I'll take it on the chin if someone says I'm talking bollocks about UV curing but I'm sincere on this one.

Mine will arrive early next week & I'll keep you posted.

I'll try sun curing mine whenever it arrives. How long do you think it should sit in the sun? If that doesn't work, the consensus is that tamiya clear coat is the way to go?

Edited by Turtle

I'll finally stress that what I'm suggesting is perhaps a waste of time but what have you got to lose ? UV is absorbed by glass & to a degree the plastic bubble so I expect this could be a long haul if you them packed indoors,try lea ...sorry guys I haven't a clue how long this will take .....even if it is feasible :confused:

I appreciate that many might not be taking me seriously....I stress that I am . Leaving a pack in direct sunlight in a safe place can't hurt anything can it ? I am not suggesting that people sit in a suntan parlour with their Minimates.

I'll take it on the chin if someone says I'm talking bollocks about UV curing but I'm sincere on this one.

Mine will arrive early next week & I'll keep you posted.

Yeah I know UV rays can have affects on plastics (and probably paints) I've seen enough people whiten yellowed plastic with sun rays and peroxide to accept that it's possible. My issue is how does one test if it worked or not? That's really my only hesitation, I know the clear paint will seal in the factory paint, but I won't know if I've left the item in the sun long enough to keep the logo from rubbing off without running my finger over it, possibly ruining it.

I'll definitely be interested in seeing your results

Two things:

I heard back from Brigid with Customer Service, who said that when they got parts in from the factory she'd email to see if she'd be able to help. That was nice.

I applied some of the same nail polish (Maybeline New York: Express Finish) to a few other random extra 'mate pieces I had. Nothing ran at all after applying it and letting it sit for 2 days time, so it was either my lousy "first attempt" at this on the Thundercats logo's or the paint on the logo's themselves.

I didnt want to post untill i had given it a chance but this stuff worked perfect and it also comes in a flat or matt finnish and it is also a quick dry :) .You dont have to apply alot either.I pushed and rubbed on the logo after it healed on the plastic and nothing happend :biggrin: .I sealed Lion-O's belt and swords the chest piece on Panthro and Jagas cape and helmet everything turned out great.here is a pic of the stuff

Krylon Acrylic clear gloss finnish

I hope this helps some of us out :)

post-3300-0-61569500-1343351803_thumb.jp

I'll finally stress that what I'm suggesting is perhaps a waste of time but what have you got to lose ? UV is absorbed by glass & to a degree the plastic bubble so I expect this could be a long haul if you them packed indoors,try lea ...sorry guys I haven't a clue how long this will take .....even if it is feasible :confused:

Mine just shipped. I think I'm going to call the Post Office to request that my set get a window seat with plenty of sun during the ride.

Somebody else can give you more detailed info, but DST usually solicits these to comics shops via Diamond sometime after the con, usually several months. But you can get 'em from Luke right now (unless he's already sold out).