UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Here's a note from the Wrestling Observer:

Daniel Bryan debuted his new character last night in Hampton, VA. He was introduced as Daniel Wyatt, worse the same type of costume of Erick Rowan does and was billed to face Bray Wyatt in a cage match. Bryan let Wyatt beat him up, offered no resistance and Bray pinned him with Sister Abigail.

This seems specifically designed to troll us all.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not that worried about the Daniel Bryan joining with the Wyatt's. The way I see this panning out is that Bray maybe telling DB that he cant beat the machine and its keeping him down and only he can free him. but its actaully part of keeping DB down or the underdog that ppl love at the moment. When its actually revealed that the "devil" that Bray speaks of is Vince Mc or some other authority figure and its all part of their plan then DB can turn on the Wyatt's and back to whatever title he will be lined up for.

Honestly DB as the underdog or everyman wrestler of the ppl is what he does well. Him being the unbeatable champ just doesn't fit at the moment, it will come in time I do think that will happen.

I don't think he should be considered an unbeatable champ, like a Hogan or Cena. Bur surely he could be a great scrappy, fighting, and vulnerable champ like a Bret Hart. He's done so many things well so far--from the traditional fan-favorite face and then great, smarmy champ heel in ROH, to the comedy routine with Kane to the heel Smackdown champion to the fan favorite underdog chasing Cena. He has earned my faith in his ability to do any number of things well. So I think he could be a great champ. I also think he can make the Wyatt thing work, assuming they don't de-push him so hard that he just isn't allowed a chance to do. . .anything.

Like HP, I'm not so sure about WWE management right now. On the one hand, the WWE has done a lot of things right over the years, and is still doing enough right to keep me watching--including allowing Bryan to get as far as they allowed him to get. But the Bryan thing seems so new and unusual. Their fear of change seems to be outweighing their courage to actually try something different.

Edited by karamazov80

The rumor going around now is that Vince came up with the bright idea to have Daniel Bryan join the Wyatts (because beards?), and that creative isn't really on board and doesn't have much of an idea where this is going. But I think it's clear it's because they don't want him getting such big reactions. Because he's not THEIR guy, or at least not the guy they want to be on top. So when the guy we like is so over he hijacks the main event promo with John Cena, Randy Orton, and Triple H, what happens? Does he get pushed because of that? Of course not! gah.gif

Every time I turned on Raw last night, it seemed like something stupid was happening, like a Great Khali match. I did tune in for the main event, which was pretty good. It was cool to see Jake Roberts again, even if I didn't recognize his music at all. And it was hilarious that Dean Ambrose couldn't hide his smile when he got snaked.

Bummer about Mae Young, but she lived a really long life, and was active and enjoying it at that age apparently.

You didn't recognize Jake's music??? Crazy talk. Was good to see him, and him apparently not stoned out of his mind at that. But I reckon this does mean he's not behind any of what the Wyatt's are doing, which is too bad.

It seems like Bryan at least is trying to do something with his character, by already sowing some potential seeds of dissention by the others not letting him get the pin, or possibly jockying to make himself the head of the Wyatts by proving that he can help those guys win better than Bray can. Maybe he's just making the best of a bad situation.

But when I hear stuff about creative being unable to do this or that with a given character in a given situation, it really makes my eyes roll. I'm no creative writer, but you give me any given wrestler in any given situation, and I'll come up with something. Damn.

I haven't watched wrestling in probably over 15 years, but I'm going to a house show in Glens Falls NY this weekend with my brother who never stopped watching. I'm excited and I've always loved the Royal Rumble, so I'll probably watch that too coming up. Not sure who I'll be rooting for, probably anyone familiar. Is Kamala still active?

I'm undecided about the network. $10 a month is certainly doable (even with the six month commitment), but I just don't know if I would watch it enough to justify having it. I will probably sample it, and if I haven't really used it in the time, not renew.

I haven't watched wrestling in probably over 15 years, but I'm going to a house show in Glens Falls NY this weekend with my brother who never stopped watching. I'm excited and I've always loved the Royal Rumble, so I'll probably watch that too coming up. Not sure who I'll be rooting for, probably anyone familiar. Is Kamala still active?

I think kamala had a foot amputed or something. so I would surprised if he was wrestling anymore.

The network seems like a great deal for diehard fans who regularly bought the PPVs. Now they have access to every PPV ever. I don't know how many more casual fans they'll attract or if the diehards are enough to make it profitable. My brother plans on getting it, so I'm sure I'll be watching some classic stuff from our youth with him.

My impressions from seeing WWE live last night:

Even having hardly any knowledge of any of the wrestlers, all of the winners were pretty predictable. I think that's just the nature of house shows though.

I was impressed with the female wrestlers. They are much more skilled than they were 15 years ago.

Hellpop was right! CM Punk does look like Zach now.

Edited by Zombie Shakespeare