UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

WWE blackballs folks for going to TNA? What if they weren't even pursued by the WWE? Christian didn't seem to have any problem coming back. Most of the others who left were either over the hill has-beens like the Dudleys or overrated, talentless hacks like Mr. Anderson. Angle just couldn't seem to handle the schedule anymore. Jeff Hardy was too much of a problem.

Would love to see Angle and Samoa Joe in the WWE.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate it when that happens.

I was working out during most of Raw, but I caught the end, and am watching the after show here. Looks like that Cena/Hogan thing was pretty cool. The Bryan decision was the logical move. He will obviously beat HHH, but I wonder if he will win the title. The battle royal thing is a good idea IMO, and harkens back to WM2. Why not give the undercard an opportunity to perform on the biggest stage?

WWE blackballs folks for going to TNA? What if they weren't even pursued by the WWE? Christian didn't seem to have any problem coming back. Most of the others who left were either over the hill has-beens like the Dudleys or overrated, talentless hacks like Mr. Anderson. Angle just couldn't seem to handle the schedule anymore. Jeff Hardy was too much of a problem.

Would love to see Angle and Samoa Joe in the WWE.

Look at it this way: name one guy that was relatively important in TNA that went on to do anything in WWE that hadn't been in WWE previously. I can think of four guys: Monty Brown, Senshi, Consequences Creed, and Chris Harris. Those guys didn't (or in Creed's case, haven't) set the world on fire. I guess it's overstating it to say they blackball them, but they sure don't have any interest in bringing them in. They could have signed AJ Styles and brought him out to Raw while he was TNA champion (his contract expired before all his TV appearances had aired) and they didn't.

Meanwhile, look at all the guys they have that came from ROH: Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, ect. They'll take an indie guy and remake them, but not the TNA guys. It's really career suicide at this point.

I see. Yeah, the way I've thought of it is, McMahon likes to think of himself as the guy who makes superstar wrestlers. So, he'll take guys from ROH, who only geeks on the internet know about, and try to mold them into something he can call his own. I think it was pretty similar when WCW was around. There wwere exceptions of course, of guys who were really damn good and had a pretty seamless transition to the WWE (Flair, the Brainbusters, the Radicalz, Booker T), but most of the WCW talent were treated as second class citizens for the most part. Look at how they treated DDP. Even Vader was given a pretty half-assed push, and he was the greatest monster heel of the era. On the other hand, WWE welcomed a lot of ECW talent that McMahon could treat as his own, even if they didn't all get big-time pushes. Mick Foley, the Dudleys, Rob Van Dam, Tajiri, Rhino, even Taz (as an announcer) and Al Snow. So, I can definitely see how TNA can work against some of those guys, unfortunately. They have some real talent, too.

I always thought that Bobby Roode would be a perfect WWE guy: he's got the look, the size, can talk, and can wrestle. But apparently they weren't interested in him the last time his contract came up. And you could have said the exact same things about Chris Harris, and he lasted what, two weeks on TV?

The big knock against Vince has always been that he doesn't understand how to book anything he didn't create. That's why guys that came to WWF/E with an established gimmick always floundered (see: Rhodes, Dusty). He's always been more comfortable following his own vision, for better or for worse. During the Monday Night Wars period, there was a brief time where they would basically bring in guys and let them be who they were. But even then is was a struggle. Giant/ Big Show was able to step in and be, well, a giant, but he never really got over the way they wanted him to. It took Jericho years to finally find his groove in WWE, as it did the Radicalz (and poor Saturn and Dean Malenko never really got there). Rob Van Dam is an interesting case, because he really bucked the trend by being his own guy (if you remember, he was the one guy in the Alliance that was getting cheered), and he got a lot of heat for that.

Of the current scene, I think Punk really was a trendsetter. He was the first guy on the current indie scene that I can recall making the jump, and he was of course not their idea of a WWE superstar. But he still got over, and then when they finally let him do what he wanted (reprising the Straight Edge gimmick), he became the most interesting guy on WWE television. And even then he still floundered in the midcard until the Pipe Bomb. But still, he was the first. And then Bryan came along, and even though they started him on NXT they acknowledged his background, which seemed shocking at the time. And now you've got tons of indie stars, even if they can't use their real names. Still can't believe they didn't sign Edwards & Richards or the Briscoes, though.

Anyway, if I was an indie wrestler, and my goal was to make it to the WWE, and TNA called, I absolutely would not sign with them.

Edited by hellpop

I believe London and Kendrick came in prior to Punk in the WWF, not that they were main eventing or anything. I just saw a really wacky episode of Eastern Championship Wrestling, where Terry Funk and Arn Anderson were brawling with Bobby Eaton and Sabu.

So I missed the big Bryan/Hunter showdown last night, but I just watched it back on Hulu. Man, what a good segment. Give the WWE credit: when they have to get their shit together in a hurry, they usually come through. By turning Batista, they have pretty much muted the reaction to him (which isn't good, necessarily, since he was supposed to be a big returning star, and I think that, now that the audience isn't being asked to cheer for him, they will just stop caring), and they've saved the title match and probably WrestleMania. I'd be astonished if Daniel Bryan isn't walking out with the title.

You want to know how to get the fans to care about Batista? Let him win the title instead of Bryan. Fans would hate his stinking guts. I was thinking about this last night. It does seem like the Authority stringing Bryan and the fans along has to stop at some point, or the fans will get tired of it. But. . .I dunno, if I were in charge, I might give the strap to Batista for awhile :lol

I don't know, I think WM30 has to have a huge WM moment that they can market and cheer about for years to come. I said it at the top of the page, but I'm hoping it ends up like Bret at WM10. They can screw with Bryan for the rest of the year and get their heat back.

Better would be ending it like they ended Wrestlemania 9! Batista wins. Hogan is pissed, and gets in the ring to keep Batista, Orton, and HHH from beating Bryan anymore. Batista challenges Hogan, right there to a match, HHH laughs and says he will allow it. Bryan urges Hogan on, then Hogan gets in the ring, Hulks up after a Batista bomb, punches Batista a few times, big foot, leg drop, 1-2-3!

Then, of course, the ultimate swerve. Hogan, HHH, and Orton start beating the crap out of Batista and Bryan, and Hogan rips off his shirt to reveal an NWO shirt underneath! Garbage will be hurled into the ring, etc.

Edited by karamazov80

But then, there is a glass shattering noise, and Stone Cold walks with a purpose down to the ring. He stares down the dastardly trio. . .then proceeds to give each the Stone Cold Stunner! He then pins Hogan: 1-2-3! Batista stumbles into the ring to shake Austin's hand--Stunner! Bryan is nearly unconscious, but Stone Cold tries to help him to his feet. . .Stunner! Guy at the Mexican announce table tosses Stevewiser after Stevewiser to Stone Cold to drink, and the audience goes wild as the show ends.

I have to leave some of the mystery, or you guys won't buy the PPV to find out for yourself! When I was posting that, I was brought back in time about 20 years, when me and a buddy of mine would come up with "dream" Survivor Series teams, and each write out how the match would proceed. His usually involved Vader going crazy and beating the hell out of his own team and my team, while mine usually had Owen Hart and Dean Douglas somehow taking on unbelievable odds and coming out on top.

Dean Douglas LOL.

Actually, I was doing a similar thing today and started thinking about what my absolute dream WrestleMania would look like. You know, if I were the Beyonder or something and was able to bring forth wrestlers across time and space in their primes to put together the ultimate card. I tried to limit it to matches that we haven't seen (Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels absolutely would have been on my list otherwise). And I'm trying to stick to one on one matchups. But there would have to be a Money in the Bank match.

So, at least a partial card:

-Stone Cold Steve Austin vs CM Punk

-Shawn Michaels vs Bryan Danielson

-Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle

-Chris Jericho vs Flyin' Brian Pillman

-The Shield vs the Four Horseman (Arn, Tully, and Barry)

-Randy Savage vs Eddie Guerrero

-The Midnight Express vs the Hardy Boyz

-Money in the Bank: Ricky Steamboat vs Rob Van Dam vs Jushin Thunder Liger vs Dean Malenko vs Owen Hart vs Dynamite Kid vs Rey Mysterio vs Edge vs Cesaro

- Hulk Hogan vs Triple H (Hunter's third H on the line!)

-Ric Flair vs the Rock

Yes... no Undertaker. Honestly, the opponent I'd most like to see him against is Brock Lesnar. No Cena either, because my dream WM is Cena free. biggrin.png I'd like to get more tag teams in; it kills me to not have the Steiner Brothers on this show. Maybe I'd swap them for the Midnights. Oh, and I seriously thought about putting on the Ultimate Warrior vs Goldberg. That would be kept short.

Anyone else have dream cards?

EDIT: Decided to replace Randy Orton with Eddie Guerrero vs Randy Savage, and to put Owen Hart in the MITB match. Randy gets blasted to atoms by the Beyonder.

Edited by hellpop

Hmm, I haven't thought much about that, but one I always dreamed of back in the day was Dynamite Kid in his prime vs. Benoit in his prime. I can also only imagine how great a mid-1990s Mysterio vs. Sayama Tiger Mask would be.

I tryed to watch the TNA PPV but gave up as it just couldnt hold my attention. I enjoyed Muta and wow he looks much diffrent then I remember not just with the power ranger baddie mask but he seems alot bigger. I still get big grins with the mist attack, I've always found it cool no matter who does it.

Not watched all of RAW yet but enjoyed the UT/Hyman segment.

Hmm, I haven't thought much about that, but one I always dreamed of back in the day was Dynamite Kid in his prime vs. Benoit in his prime. I can also only imagine how great a mid-1990s Mysterio vs. Sayama Tiger Mask would be.

I decided against putting Benoit on my dream card, otherwise I would have put that match on there, no question. I wish I was more versed with international wrestling; I know that Hiroshi Tanahashi is considered the best in the world right now, but I've only seen a few of his matches (he will be at the ROH show).

I tryed to watch the TNA PPV but gave up as it just couldnt hold my attention. I enjoyed Muta and wow he looks much diffrent then I remember not just with the power ranger baddie mask but he seems alot bigger. I still get big grins with the mist attack, I've always found it cool no matter who does it.

Not watched all of RAW yet but enjoyed the UT/Hyman segment.

Muta's in his 50s, and I think he still gets around pretty well.

Yes, the Heyman/ Taker segment was really good. Heyman is just incredible; in one segment, he did more to put over the Streak then anything else they've ever done. I hope they get him a new "guy" to keep him on TV regularly, since Axel was such a dud.

One nice thing about the modern world is that you can find just about anything you want to on Youtube, so you have a chance to watch some amazing wrestling for free on demand. Last night, after posting here and thinking about it, I was watching Tiger Mask vs. Alex Wright's dad (Steve Wright), in a cool mix of Japanese and British styles. I was just watching Tiger Mask II (Mitsuhara Misawa) against Dynamite Kid. It still somehow surprises me how, back in the '70s and '80s, the actual wrestling matches surpassed the best of what you'll find today.

Back in the 1990s when I started really getting into wrestling, I could only get these stuff through bootleg tapes, with limited match selections and varying quality. And that's also where I discovered this, perhaps the greatest thing ever to come out of pro wrestling in the world:

http://youtu.be/7FgN3UEM2P8

Who knows what other gems are out there? biggrin.png

Edited by karamazov80