• Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think DP is a "household name", more of a strong B-level character.

I think you could make a strong case for a B+. Maybe even an A- if he could do some extra credit or something. I think it depends on who you're defining as the target poller. Any casual comic fan has probably become aware of Deadpool in at least the past few years, but the regular person on the street doesn't know who he is. Having said that, there's a lot of regular people who have know idea who Ghost Rider is.

Well he was kinda sorta almost in the Wolverine movie. At least a wise cracking guy with swords named Wade Wilson was, and he was turned into this... thing... that didn't bear resemblance to Deadpool, yet was almost sorta refered to as Deadpool in the script.

Yeah, okay, definitely not a general public A-lister yet. Sorry, Wade, I tried.

Luke is atleast a B-lister, he appears in just about every Avenger title, he runs his own team, he has appeared on two cartoon shows, one as a recurring cameo (Avengers EMH) and another as a main character (Ultimate Spiderman)

Deadpool is probably an A-lister, he has been in a movie, has a huge fanbase, has appeared in animated marvel films and has numerous action figures, shirts, etc.

id also say Daredevil is an A-lister, as is Beast i believe

I would like to think DST wouldn't shove an A-list variant down our throats.

A villain or Supporting character would be best.

And yet the poll has two Iron Mans on it. And one of them is getting a decent chunk of the votes. :P

I don't know why only Spidey and Wolverine catch the crap, Iron Man has just as many minimates, they're all in that 30-40 range... and between a couple dozen movie waves... many of the Iron Men we have are far far far more re-hashy than alot of the Wolverines we have out there. (Though maybe not more re-hasy than most of the spideys).

Anyway, I KNOW that these figures aren't the ones we likely want, or will see getting variants... I said as much IN my post... and did so intentionally to try and nip responses like this in the bud. I'm just SAYING lets discuss it ANYWAY because these are the options we currently have on the table! I'm trying to stimulate friendly discussion. Yeesh.

No harm in shamelessly planting variant ideas in Zach's head. And it's not as if we won't be able to do it again next week when the next poll hits.

Frankly I'd like a different but still thematic character as the variant. Akin to Aunt May and Jameson, Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy, or Spider-Woman and Spider-Woman, as some waves have done in the past. I don't need two new Mystiques, but I'd take Mystique with a Destiny variant in a friggin' heartbeat. Which is why I'd like to start a dialogue about it. Who WOULD be the BEST variant... given the characters we have on the table. (And the same can be discussed in future weeks as more characters are revealed.)

Not arguing that Cage is not an A lister. But if you are wondering why the Luke Cage love, well... This was his last minimate.

Actually this was, if one wants to nitpick. But the point still stands that he could use an update that doesn't suck, isn't out-dated, and isn't an alternate reality niche version.

Edited by Gillbob316

First- HUGE difference between direct to video animated movie and a big box office release. DP has a stronger case from his various video game appearances.

Second- He has a very strong following among the comics reading community, outside that community not so much. Remember his big boxed set release was a comics convention exclusive, not TRU or even LCS. It's like the Hoff bragging about being big in Germany.

Now if he ever gets that movie they've been talking about, or even a recognizable supporting role in someone else's, or even (God forbid) his own cartoon show, then we'll talk.

Just glad i got my Scarlet Spider Minimate cause he's a D-lister for DEAD!

First- HUGE difference between direct to video animated movie and a big box office release. DP has a stronger case from his various video game appearances.

Second- He has a very strong following among the comics reading community, outside that community not so much. Remember his big boxed set release was a comics convention exclusive, not TRU or even LCS. It's like the Hoff bragging about being big in Germany.

Now if he ever gets that movie they've been talking about, or even a recognizable supporting role in someone else's, or even (God forbid) his own cartoon show, then we'll talk.

But isn't that what an A-lister is someone who is everywhere in some sort of fashion ? For example lets pick some mates that made it and haven't seen any type of Media hype...Sin-Eater,Nova & Gamora,The Dark Avengers set..

A-List are people that you can reasonably expect anyone to know-- and that's a small, exclusive club. I've always defined B-level as guys that can carry their own title indefinitely-- Thor, Daredevil, Flash-- and I'd say that's Deadpool now. You could make a case that guys that are regular, prominent team book members are B-listers, but I personally think those guys are a step below, which I guess is the C-list. That's where most of the individual X-Men belong, where JLAers like Aquaman and Hawkman belong (though Aquaman may have jumped up a level, if he can hold his title), and that's where I'd put Cage. Definitely deserving of an update, though.

Which is why I'd like to start a dialogue about it. Who WOULD be the BEST variant... given the characters we have on the table.

Fair enough...

Hydro Armor Iron Man - Space Armor variant

Blue Ghost Ketch - updated modern Ghost Blaze or updated original Ghost Ketch.

Cap Wolf - Man-Wolf

Wasn't there a month when Marvel did Deadpool variant covers for all their regular titles? That's not a B-lister move. And if we're talking about being on the A-list means regular people know who you are, why is Ghost Rider considered one? just because he's had two movies doesn't mean people know who he is. Not saying I don't like him on the list, but you have to define who the target audience is that defines the list.

And if Cyborg Spidey makes it, Deathlok as a variant would be cool (although seeing him as the troop builder would be even better).

Wasn't there a month when Marvel did Deadpool variant covers for all their regular titles? That's not a B-lister move. And if we're talking about being on the A-list means regular people know who you are, why is Ghost Rider considered one? just because he's had two movies doesn't mean people know who he is. Not saying I don't like him on the list, but you have to define who the target audience is that defines the list.

And if Cyborg Spidey makes it, Deathlok as a variant would be cool (although seeing him as the troop builder would be even better).

I thought they only did that to promote Deadpool Corps and since Deadpool is self-aware anyway, not because of his popularity.

I still don't get how Thing is on the list. AT ALL. Thing over Thor?? REALLY??

I hope Winter Soldier isn't in the supporting character selection, which would indicate he's in their plans. He's a viable enough character with his own book, it shouldn't take a poll to get DST's attention. Of course, I've been wrong before.

I hope Winter Soldier isn't in the supporting character selection, which would indicate he's in their plans. He's a viable enough character with his own book, it shouldn't take a poll to get DST's attention. Of course, I've been wrong before.

You do know that Thunderstrike and Quasar had their own comic too right?

I think considering Winter Soldier/Bucky has been in video games, movies, a major player in several recent story lines plus the star of a new book, as well as having had a Marvel Legend and 2 Marvel Universe figures, I think he's way too high profile to not be in their plans at some point. I mean, Darkhawk had his own book but he's just gotten his first figure ever this year, so its not so much just that he's had his own book, but that he's been growing in awareness and in other media, and now has developed to the point where he carries his own title, so I would hope a character of that importance wouldn't need to get voted into the 'mate line.

That being said, if he's a choice in the poll, I'll definitely vote for him. But I hope DST would recognize he deserves a 'mate on his own right, not just because he's popular with fans.

I can totally understand people disliking these options. For the most part they're weird or obscure (which is why I love them) so they're obviously not for everyone.

But is anyone else surprised by the complete hatred this is getting over in the MMHQ comments?

In defense of MMHQ commentors,I think a large number of readers don't spend much time at MMMV, thus lacking the context provided by Zach. So to someone who collects but doesn't spend time digging through the forum format, the offering of a fan poll with options for yet more Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. seems ... disappointing.

I prefer new characters over costume variants myself, and with my busy schedule MMHQ is my primary source for Minimates news. I think Dragon offers an appropriate reply and next weeks poll will be more exciting for hardcore fans.

I retract all defense of MMHQ commentors. :P

I think everyone I put in the poll is worthy of a mate -- not having plans for them doesn't mean this is their only shot. If someone is as worthy as you say, then people will vote for him or her. Or maybe we'll look at them in the future.

Thunderstrike is definitely worthy, and he got one. No Quasar yet, right?

And the Thing is famous! Sure we've made a few lately, but we've made a lot more Thors. I'm surprised people are asking where Thor is.

And I'm going to try not to make the variant an A-Lister. But we'll see how the votes shake out.

And, just like that, Gladiator was dropped from next week's poll.

I'm tempted.

In my book both ghost rider and deadpool are A-listers. Know why? People in Greece know him. Yep,if the people who never read comics or go to the movies know you,then you're pretty famous in my book. Also he got minimated like what,3 times in one year? He appeared in cartoons,he starred in the hulk vs animated movie,starred in mvc3 and other video games,had a crapload of figures and appeared in wolvie's movie. Same goes for gr. He's marvel's most famous dark superhero alongside blade.

Edited by Kostisfire

Which is why I'd like to start a dialogue about it. Who WOULD be the BEST variant... given the characters we have on the table.

Fair enough...

Hydro Armor Iron Man - Space Armor variant

Blue Ghost Ketch - updated modern Ghost Blaze or updated original Ghost Ketch.

Cap Wolf - Man-Wolf

Not to beat a dead Minimate, but... since they're not recognizable enough for a regular 2-pack, variant's fine with me. :thumbsup:

Cap Wolf - Commander Rogers

Cyborg Spidey - Amazing Bag-Man