• Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how a company can actually go out of their way to try and please people and will still get crap from somebody because it's not good enough. There are very few companies that have cooperative reps that will grace fan boards and give out info and try and work with the small percentage of their consumers that are hardcore fans on fan boards. Wookie, I'm not offended by what you say, but could you please stop being a jerk to someone who's doing something that most company marketing guys won't do (fraternize with the fans). It's really out of place when it starts looking like a personal attack and I, for one, appreciate DST having a presence here and I'd rather it not go away because of unnecessary crap. When it comes to most topics, we all seem to pick sides, but we still act civil. As pointed out, it is something that separates us from most boards.

I can understand not being able to produce control art for this fan wave and to be honest I got a bit confused with the TRU fan choice stuff then when you said 32 choices I realised the TRU choices are on a much smaller selection.

As I lied in bed last night... my last post got me to thinking (Yes, I actually fell asleep thinking about minimates, lol)...

In any given case, no matter which one of these figures won... who would make a good variant for that figure?

I mean... since from what I can tell, in this wave/poll, the variant is yet to be determined based on the winners... the suggestion of what it should be is still more or less up for discussion is it not? So why don't we DISCUSS IT! lol...

I'm not saying one of these figures necessarily NEEDS to be the variant... it could easily also be from poll 2 or 3 (and it's probably more likely to be). But these are all we have for the moment... so to get the ball rolling, here's what I came up with...

Wolverine: Team X Sabretooth, I feel would be a good choice. Remember, nothing really says the variant HAS to be the same character. We've seen alt characters as variants before. He's close enough to Wolverine to re-use some parts, but non-essential enough to not sour collectors over being shortpacked. And it's the only way I ever see him being released frankly, and think it would be cool to have him to go alongside a hopefully eventual Wolverine, Maverick and Silver Fox (Maverick seems possible. Silver Fox might take a little praying.)

Iron Man: I think either of the two Iron Men on the poll (btw, who did Tony pay off to make that happen? :P) would make a good variant for eachother... might be too big a parts difference though. Though that's not absolutely unheard of with variants. I Dunno.

Hulk: A no-brainer seems to be a green version. Not saying it's the most tantalizing or inspired choice... but it IS a no-brainer, lol...

Ghost Rider: Does this look come in Orange? I feel like I've seen it in Orange. If so, that would be a logical variant. If not, I got nuthin' lol.

For the other characters... I have no ideas really. But feel free to toss'em out there!

I thought it would be fun to discuss. To strategically place ideas in Zach's head now... for when the polls end, and the variant needs to be chosen. :P

And as I said, we can discuss potential variants from poll 2 and 3 when the time comes.

Edited by Gillbob316

And yes, I'm MSWord. "MS" could stand for Marvel Select or Marketing Supervisor, but I probably should have just gone with DSTZach. I was supposed to be that on here, but I got my fields mixed up.

That's a relief. I thought you had an unnatural fascination with a bit of word processing software from the big company in Redmond, WA. :)

As I lied in bed last night... my last post got me to thinking (Yes, I actually fell asleep thinking about minimates, lol)...

Wait, I thought this was normal... They told me this was normal. The psychiatrist said this was normal.

Not... normal??

In any given case, no matter which one of these figures won... who would make a good variant for that figure?

I mean... since from what I can tell, in this wave/poll, the variant is yet to be determined based on the winners... the suggestion of what it should be is still more or less up for discussion is it not? So why don't we DISCUSS IT! lol...

I'm not saying one of these figures necessarily NEEDS to be the variant... it could easily also be from poll 2 or 3 (and it's probably more likely to be). But these are all we have for the moment... so to get the ball rolling, here's what I came up with...

Wolverine: Team X Sabretooth, I feel would be a good choice. Remember, nothing really says the variant HAS to be the same character. We've seen alt characters as variants before. He's close enough to Wolverine to re-use some parts, but non-essential enough to not sour collectors over being shortpacked. And it's the only way I ever see him being released frankly, and think it would be cool to have him to go alongside a hopefully eventual Wolverine, Maverick and Silver Fox (Maverick seems possible. Silver Fox might take a little praying.)

Iron Man: I think either of the two Iron Men on the poll (btw, who did Tony pay off to make that happen? :P) would make a good variant for eachother... might be too big a parts difference though. Though that's not absolutely unheard of with variants. I Dunno.

Hulk: A no-brainer seems to be a green version. Not saying it's the most tantalizing or inspired choice... but it IS a no-brainer, lol...

Ghost Rider: Does this look come in Orange? I feel like I've seen it in Orange. If so, that would be a logical variant. If not, I got nuthin' lol.

For the other characters... I have no ideas really. But feel free to toss'em out there!

I thought it would be fun to discuss. To strategically place ideas in Zach's head now... for when the polls end, and the variant needs to be chosen. :P

And as I said, we can discuss potential variants from poll 2 and 3 when the time comes.

Well, the last page of Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies had Ash running from Marvel Werewolves, so take your pick of any of the other Wolf-Heroes. Plus the 90's X-men toon had the High Evolutionary turn Wolverine into a big Were-Wolverine.

Or preferable - CapWolf/Man-Wolf or Cap-Wolf/Werewolf by Night.

And yes, the Marvel Legends Blue GR has an orange flame variant.

Cyborg Spidey/Deathlok

Hydro IM/Space IM/Space Nick Fury/Space Cable... (taking my cues from Toy Biz of the 90s.)

Grey Savage Hulk/Grey Kirby Hulk

And yes, I'm MSWord. "MS" could stand for Marvel Select or Marketing Supervisor, but I probably should have just gone with DSTZach. I was supposed to be that on here, but I got my fields mixed up.

That's a relief. I thought you had an unnatural fascination with a bit of word processing software from the big company in Redmond, WA. :)

I thought it was his hip-hop name.

I can totally understand people disliking these options. For the most part they're weird or obscure (which is why I love them) so they're obviously not for everyone.

But is anyone else surprised by the complete hatred this is getting over in the MMHQ comments?

Has anyone here ever dreamed about Minimates before?

No.... but I've had a few sleepless nights worrying about C...O..M..P..L..E..T..I...O...N. I'm ever so good about giving advice & being patient about stuff but I only wish I could heed my own words. Every time something comes out as a promo I just go to pieces....& ebay :confused:

Edited by buttheadsmate

To whom it may concern:

As the proud owner of 4 different Ghost Walkers ,20 or so different Hulks,26(?) Captain Americas, nearly 40 Wolverines , approximately 37 Iron Mans,40+ Spider-Mans & 10 Things.... I look forward to a few more joining the ranks. I'll moan a bit of course ....it is frowned upon in the UK but nowhere near as much as N.Korea apparently....but I'll still buy them.

Regards the 'furore' on MMHQ ....I can only comment with a ?????? Lot of un-American sounding names there ....needs to be looked into :rolleyes:

Seriously though I've got to say that over the years I've given DST plenty of stick & one helluvalot of support ......just like the majority of people here....isn't that the nature of things ? Zach appears to be between a rock & a hard place at times but there's no denying he cares about what we think & that, in my book...the only f*ck*ng book that I care about....is a damned fine cuppa coffee.

Embrace the opportunity ....perhaps the only opportunity you'll ever have of choosing a Minimate wave...it may not be to your liking & I'm not saying it's to mine but just bloody vote & in the meantime please just keep your f*cking attitude to a minimum.

edit: Please :thumbsup:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I can totally understand people disliking these options. For the most part they're weird or obscure (which is why I love them) so they're obviously not for everyone.

But is anyone else surprised by the complete hatred this is getting over in the MMHQ comments?

Well, it seems like it's only just one guy, really, who's usually pretty negative. I think every Minimate fan at some point will just have to accept that they're going to keep making the big names in new and different ways. For this poll, I think DST's really gone out of their way to find some interesting variations on the main characters (even if none of them are FROG THOR!:verymad:), and I wouldn't mind if any of them won. It's certainly not an "insult".:rolleyes:

Has anyone here ever dreamed about Minimates before?

Yep, here's the thread. Unfortunately it's been dead for two and a half years.

I can see it now. Zach dropping some dope rhymes over phat beats* about page margins, fax cover sheets, and mail merges. The world needs this.

*The kids still say 'dope rhymes' and 'phat beats' right? Wiggity wiggity wack?

Oh I just realized there's going to be some complaining again when the final results don't match whatever unofficial poll has their results public, be it here or MMHQ. And it's going to happen FOUR TIMES

Edited by Shamrock

I may have just dropped a little harsh knowledge on them. "Real fans" are they serious? Self-entitlement is a horrible thing to being to the hobby.

In defense of MMHQ commentors,I think a large number of readers don't spend much time at MMMV, thus lacking the context provided by Zach. So to someone who collects but doesn't spend time digging through the forum format, the offering of a fan poll with options for yet more Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. seems ... disappointing.

I prefer new characters over costume variants myself, and with my busy schedule MMHQ is my primary source for Minimates news. I think Dragon offers an appropriate reply and next weeks poll will be more exciting for hardcore fans.

I have laid in bed thinking of many things... but not my last post of the day. Unless of course the thought was "You've got to be out of bed by 6 AM, why did you sit there yammering on this late, you fat idiot?"

Wouldn't it need to be MCWord for that? ...I'm showing my age again aren't I?

Well, it seems like it's only just one guy, really, who's usually pretty negative. I think every Minimate fan at some point will just have to accept that they're going to keep making the big names in new and different ways. For this poll, I think DST's really gone out of their way to find some interesting variations on the main characters (even if none of them are FROG THOR!), and I wouldn't mind if any of them won. It's certainly not an "insult".

At some point, someone got the idea of "intelligent critical response" deeply confused with "hyper-negative douchbaggery makes me look smarter and cooler than everyone else". Apparently this error was the first thing to ever go truly viral online, as it persists strongly to this day.

Since this is wave 50, aren't we running out of A-listers variants? Won't we have to expand what an A list Marvel hero is? Like ummmmm Luke Cage I'm just saying....

We can't just expand the list of characters who are instantly recgnizable to casual fans, although the Avengers movie certainly did that with Hawkeye, Widow and Loki. If Luke Cage ever gets a movie or a cartoon, I'm sure he'll get an upgrade. A costume would help.

Since this is wave 50, aren't we running out of A-listers variants? Won't we have to expand what an A list Marvel hero is? Like ummmmm Luke Cage I'm just saying....

We can't just expand the list of characters who are instantly recgnizable to casual fans, although the Avengers movie certainly did that with Hawkeye, Widow and Loki. If Luke Cage ever gets a movie or a cartoon, I'm sure he'll get an upgrade. A costume would help.

His recent(ish) costume is really cool! :whistling:

TheHeroicAge-Thunderbolts-Shadowland-Cage-01.jpg

Not arguing that Cage is not an A lister. But if you are wondering why the Luke Cage love, well... This was his last minimate. Yeah. Now you know why some of would like to see another stab taken at his modern "not costume" look. It's not an immediate thing, he's B-list popular enough he'll make the cut eventually. But I thought you aught to know.