UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates Wave 51: Marvel NOW!

Jatta Pake

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bigvis and Miry! Has there been any story around the colors chosen and how it does look a bit like Mainframe?

IIRC the main thinking was to convince the public that it was neither Stark nor Rhodes (who had faked his death) in the armor. Because in the wacky world of comics logic the best way to regain public trust is to lie to them. What the artist was thinking, I don't know, my guess would be the Mainframe nod is some what intentional. Since in story 616 Tony has absolutely no knowledge of his 928 count-part's creation, we'll count it as coincidence.

Truthfully I've skimmed more than read MN Hulk... I know Banner's with SHIELD, and Hill is their handler, but the specifics didn't stick in my brain.

I'm very glad to be getting Sauron (as with all new things X-Men) though for some reason I'm slightly annoyed that he appears to be nude...

Apparently, though I never knew it before now, I'm a loincloth Sauron purist. I'm just getting weird vibes from this "party" Sauron.

And by the look of him, he's re-using movie Lizard parts, so I couldn't even swap in a Smeagol loincloth without removing his tail. Though speaking of his tail, that also slightly annoys me, since as a lizard repaint, it's not a forked tail, as Sauron's tail is.

Still, better than no Sauron, and that's something.

I'm very glad to be getting Sauron (as with all new things X-Men) though for some reason I'm slightly annoyed that he appears to be nude...

Apparently, though I never knew it before now, I'm a loincloth Sauron purist. I'm just getting weird vibes from this "party" Sauron.

And by the look of him, he's re-using movie Lizard parts, so I couldn't even swap in a Smeagol loincloth without removing his tail. Though speaking of his tail, that also slightly annoys me, since as a lizard repaint, it's not a forked tail, as Sauron's tail is.

I'm the same way. Which is why I plan on drilling a hole in the back of the loin-cloth piece, cutting off the Sauron tail and gluing it in the hole on the loincloth. To make sure it stays put, that's why you drill the hole and fit the tail through... then glue it. In fact, depending on how the figure turns out I may even glue the tail to the back of the crotch piece.

Luckily, if you buy both waves, you'll have a spare Sauron to 'dress-up'.

I'm over all excited by the LCS and TRU Marvel Now waves, normally I pic and choose, but I will be getting every single one of these. Sauron absolutely should have a loin cloth, but whatcha gonna do. I just hope that wolverine will be released with that sweet new mask and we won't get a bait and switch like they did with the curse of the mutants box set.

I wonder if Sauron is sans loin-cloth due to parts re-use? There's a bit of new sculpting across this wave (and it's TRU counterpart), so maybe they're just re-using the ASM Lizard waist piece to attach the tail?

Called it!

"Yes, you're very smart.Now shut up."

-Grandpa the Princess Bride

teehee.gif

I wonder if Sauron is sans loin-cloth due to parts re-use? There's a bit of new sculpting across this wave (and it's TRU counterpart), so maybe they're just re-using the ASM Lizard waist piece to attach the tail?

Or maybe Marvel NOW! Sauron doesn't wear pants....?

So I just re-read Savage Wolverine #1(Wolverines new Marvel Now title.) and its got me thinking that the pterodactyl like character we're getting may not actually be intended to be Sauron. There is a gang of pterodactyl men called the Reapers that attack Wolvie and shanna, and they're going commando just like our new mate, and seeing how they're packaged together and in the same story I'm thinking it might not be Sauron. But that's only one issue, Sauron could pop up in issue two buck naked, you never know. Just making an observation.

Radioactive were-pteranodon, HS, gotta remember that radiation. And at least one source claims his hypno-power is his latent mutant power now linked to his transformation. That's right gang, Lykos is a mutant (maybe) who was bitten by a radioactive pteranodon, which turned him into an energy draining were-creature with "wacky vision".

Sauron: so much more complicated than you ever imagined.

Oh wow - is *that* his origin?

I always thought he was a mutant and that his mutation caused him to crave the energy of others, but when he fed on other mutants, he transformed into his dino-form.

The radio-activity was news to me.

I haven't actually read any of his early appearances, so my knowledge of how his powers work came mostly from the 90's cartoon, which is not exactly 100% accurate.

Blame it on that passage from the Savage Land into South America. A somehow radioactive mutant pteranodon makes it's way through it and attacks an expedition in the Andes, which included a young Carl Lykos. Several members of the party, including Carl's father are killed and Carl himself is bitten. Somehow, the creature's bite passes it's radioactivity to Lykos, making him something of a life-force vampire needing to drain others to survive. Carl does his best to control his condition, becoming a phsycian and hypnotherapist that drains a little of his patients' energy with each visit. But when Carl takes Alex Summers as a patient and gets his first taste of mutant energy, he transforms into into a pteradactyle like monster with hypnotic powers while retaining his energy draining nature. Thus began Lykos' Jekyll and Hyde existence. The more mutant power the self dubbed Sauron drains, the longer he can remain in monster form. There is some evidence to suggest he copies certian abilities along with a mutant's energy, he has claimed to have absorbed Wolverine's healing power on a number of occassions.

These days, a stint with Weapon X gave him the ability to project bio-energy force bolts from his hands and the ability to breathe fire, though the latter ability maybe have been a hypnotic illusion.

There is a race of flying lizard men native to the Savage Land called Pterons that look exactly like Sauron, but without any exotic powers. No firm conection between the Pterons and Lykos has ever been established. It's possible the Reapers are members of that race and maybe they'll explain why Carl transforms into essentially one of them.

Blame it on that passage from the Savage Land into South America. A somehow radioactive mutant pteranodon makes it's way through it and attacks an expedition in the Andes, which included a young Carl Lykos. Several members of the party, including Carl's father are killed and Carl himself is bitten. Somehow, the creature's bite passes it's radioactivity to Lykos, making him something of a life-force vampire needing to drain others to survive. Carl does his best to control his condition, becoming a phsycian and hypnotherapist that drains a little of his patients' energy with each visit. But when Carl takes Alex Summers as a patient and gets his first taste of mutant energy, he transforms into into a pteradactyle like monster with hypnotic powers while retaining his energy draining nature. Thus began Lykos' Jekyll and Hyde existence. The more mutant power the self dubbed Sauron drains, the longer he can remain in monster form. There is some evidence to suggest he copies certian abilities along with a mutant's energy, he has claimed to have absorbed Wolverine's healing power on a number of occassions.

These days, a stint with Weapon X gave him the ability to project bio-energy force bolts from his hands and the ability to breathe fire, though the latter ability maybe have been a hypnotic illusion.

There is a race of flying lizard men native to the Savage Land called Pterons that look exactly like Sauron, but without any exotic powers. No firm conection between the Pterons and Lykos has ever been established. It's possible the Reapers are members of that race and maybe they'll explain why Carl transforms into essentially one of them.

WOW, Miry your the man, this is like reading marvelwiki, I'm like Nessex, the only stuff I really knew about Sauron was from X-Men TAS, which stayed close but is not exactly like its source material.

Ok after reading issue 2 of Savage Wolverine I really don't think we are getting Sauron. The Reapers just seem to be Savage Land anthropomorphic dinosaurs from the island this storyline is set in. So looks like we're getting four possible army builders in Wave 51, male Shield agent, female Shield agent, different Nova centurions and these Pteranodon.

Now that I see Emma and Colossus are indeed being made...

I said this in the original boxed set thread and I say it again, if it's not too late (and I assume it is) please, please, PLEASE let them include a non-firey cape for emma. I just hate it when characters are locked into one permanently "powered up" look, through lack of non-powered up parts (IE. Shadowcat & Vision, for instance)

I don't really like the idea of an Emma minimate that is never not on fire and floating. :/

I think the cape can be adjusted. At least if you zoom in I think you can take off the fire at the bottom - as for the cape and her floating if you look closely I think you might be able to move around the cape it looks like it can be taken off so I don't see why it couldn't be adjusted so you could lift it up so she's not floating. But that's just from speculating the picture, here's to hoping!

Also, i hope we eventually see Phoenix Namor and Phoenix Magik... if i don't get all 5 i'm not sure i'll want any of them.

Yeah I hope we see P5 Namor & Magik in the near future as well. It would kind of be just a waste to see only 3 out of the 5.

Edited by TonezBalonez