UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToyFare Marvel Minimates Visual Price Guide

I want a gold spidey! I've been collecting minimates for about a month and have never herd of it

I've been trying to get one since 2004, and let me tell you it would be far less suffering and torment if you'd never heard of it. I finally got a Silver Spidey last year.

Although it is claimed 50 Gold Spideys exist, very few have ever made their way to MMMV members. Rumor has it many of these were distributed to Marvel employees as product examples. In 2006 at a Con, I spoke with a comic vendor who claimed to be a personal friend of Adam Unger, and he claimed to have one he would sell to me. The man and his comic store vanished from earth shortly after the Con.

Gold Spideys pop up on Ebay once every few years, BHM could probably list the dates and times, but verifying the authenticity is very challenging. After the Toy Fare article debuted, a lot of fake Gold Spidey's began appearing on Ebay. (That in turn prompted me to create the Fake Gold Spidey character for my now defunct JP1000 stories.)

I'm guessing a few Gold Spideys line the long forgotten desk drawers of Marvel and Art Asylum employees circa 2003.

Gold Spideys pop up on Ebay once every few years, BHM could probably list the dates and times, but verifying the authenticity is very challenging.

:lol: I think you'll find that youbastards is our current authority on Gold & Silver Spideys .

Timbo used to go on about a master-list he had , correlating number on baggie with current owner ,whilst I have total respect for Tim I just couldn't get my head around that one ! :unsure:

I love all this nostalgia .

I'm guessing a few Gold Spideys line the long forgotten desk drawers of Marvel and Art Asylum employees circa 2003.

(guy cleaning out desk)

"Dammit, why does this drawer always stick?"

WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM

"Oh it's one of those Mini guys stuck in the track. Huh, a gold Spider Man. Wonder what that's worth."

(throws in trashcan)

Although it is claimed 50 Gold Spideys exist, very few have ever made their way to MMMV members.

:whistling:

Hey Zach, I have been looking for that for awhile now, the part about the goldie, I have the issue with him on the cover, but couldn't find the one inside the book. I feel foolish if it was here all along. Need it for a certain display I have been putting together

3 minimates later and even some atlantean guards to back him up...i say poor alpha flight ;)

Yes, poor Alpha Flight. :unsure:

And I forgot they ran that Galactus art in a Wizard poster book! And that Uriel drew it! Hmmmmm.... :)

Gold Spideys pop up on Ebay once every few years, BHM could probably list the dates and times, but verifying the authenticity is very challenging.

:lol: I think you'll find that youbastards is our current authority on Gold & Silver Spideys .

Timbo used to go on about a master-list he had , correlating number on baggie with current owner ,whilst I have total respect for Tim I just couldn't get my head around that one ! :unsure:

I love all this nostalgia .

Yes, on one of the early iterations of the MMMV Community, Timbo put together a list. It may have been on the Art Asylum forum. Each Gold Spidey was bagged in a numbered baggie 1 to 50. We got about 6 people identified. I suspect that some of those six Goldies have shuffled around between community members here over the years.

I do have a Jatta Pake Bomb-mate though, so Goldie and Silver Gator are my current collection holes.

Although it is claimed 50 Gold Spideys exist, very few have ever made their way to MMMV members.

:whistling:

Hey Zach, I have been looking for that for awhile now, the part about the goldie, I have the issue with him on the cover, but couldn't find the one inside the book. I feel foolish if it was here all along. Need it for a certain display I have been putting together

Very intriguing sir. Your already masterful collection of He-Man and Joe customs may be getting some company.

We still have the list of MMMV owned gold & silver Spiderman minis, but I pulled it. An unscrupulous ex-member was attempting to use it to create fakes without getting caught with a number that a MMMV member owned. I have it on very good authority that many more than 50 gold Spidey's were created, but only 50 of them got the numbered baggie treatment. I am lucky enough to own a silver Spidey, but never scored a gold one.

Nice stuff Zach. About 6 years ago I saw you taking photos on Preview Day (SDCC) and threw my arms up and yelled "Oooaaaattttt!" You turned around and looked at me very worriedly. Next time we meet, I will try not to frighten you.

I was with Shane and remember this well... I was like who the hell was that Shane?!

As for the Timbo keeping Gold/Silver lists, not sure I actually created it but helped to keep it updated for a while & I think we knew where far more were than you guys are giving us credit for. As for owning Gold/Silver I owned both but sold them to another rabid collector a few years back when I hit on hard times.

Am I the only one who misses minimates being simple block figures with little to no sculpting? (and made of much better quality plastic!)

I'm curious about the smokey grey Stealth IM in that pic, I have several and they are all* the much brighter inky blue, I thought the grey was only from a test shot run they did.

T.

*I actually have one of that color but have always believed it a rare test shot ( esp as the hair matches the armor color).

I have come to terms with the sculpting, but I agree 100% about the quality of the plastic used now is nowhere near the quality it was when these started out.

TBT - I've been looking for one of the Stealths in that color scheme for a long time, I have one, but it isn't complete (missing the helmet). If you ever want to part with your figure, please keep me in mind.

Also, if you guys are still maintaining that Gold/Silver list, let me know if you need my info. :thumbsup:

weird....I just got done watching this.

Nice interview by the way. love the chops!

Stop the video at 4:37 and look at the douche who had to walk through the set.

@youbastards, I still have the list but it has not been updated in a couple of years. Feel free to send me your #'s. If folks want the list back, maybe we can rebuild it.

Ugh, a Zach Oat captured on film! Kill it!

Anybody who sees me out and about, please say hi. I get confused when people just shout my last name from across a plaza, because my last name is essentially a common vowel. But if you introduce yourself, I promise to look less worried.

FYI, the interview is by MMMV member Mnemosis, my local TRU guy (not the creepy older guy who comes across like a potential pedophile, the other one).

One of the sickest moments in my life was being at C2E2 and seeing production sample gold and silver Spider-Mans being united for the first time. I have every mate made (including some that never got made) except those two and have always written it off of ever owning one. Then not only seeing them in person, but seeing samples was very taunting. Congrats to the owner. dry.gif

But if you introduce yourself, I promise to look less worried.

Deal... Just imagine The Tick yelling "Oat" instead of "spoon". Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

Pfff... Gold Spider-Man... if it's not comics accurate, it's CRAP!

Now, now, hp, you gotta get the accent right:

"If Itz nah comics accurrate, itz CRRRRRRAP!"

Roll the R's.

Man, I had this issue of Toyfare ages ago... Looking back at this list I realize still that I need that Carnage minimate and given how much it is to get nowadays makes me sad.

An unscrupulous ex-member was attempting to use it to create fakes without getting caught with a number that a MMMV member owned. I have it on very good authority that many more than 50 gold Spidey's were created, but only 50 of them got the numbered baggie treatment. I am lucky enough to own a silver Spidey, but never scored a gold one.

Wow, crazy. I never knew that happened.

I'd actually prefer an unbagged loose Gold Spidey. My Silver is loose.

Timbo! Hope all is well!

Pfff... Gold Spider-Man... if it's not comics accurate, it's CRAP!

Now, now, hp, you gotta get the accent right:

"If Itz nah comics accurrate, itz CRRRRRRAP!"

Roll the R's.

In my head, they were rolled.