UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 6

Punisher

Not to condemn or condone any ideas, but I think in the past charities that are based on ideas that tend to be controversial are generally avoided to keep arguements and ideas from exploding and to best encourage all to participate. I would tend to think that a subject like GLBT would be about as controversial as you could get with some people (short of supporting a specific religion). That not only goes for people making the mates but for those buying them also.

Unless everyone else disagrees with me.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expanding on that idea, what about mythological characters? Roman, Norse, Greek, Hindu, Chinese - the list goes on and on - a plethora of creatures and characters to choose from!

Charitymates 6: Past Gods for a Better Future!

This is a great idea!!

Also, We could all check out Charity Navigator

I was looking and saw a few lists that are worth checking out:

Charities Routinely in the Red

Highly Rated Charities Relying on Private Contributions

Charities in Deep Financial Trouble

Inefficient Fundraisers

I was thinking maybe we could look into charities that could use our donation a little more than some of the bigger, more well known charities. Just a thought.

Edited by jcastick

I personally think sticking with mythological characters is a safer bet. Mohammed, Buddha and Jesus should be off the table since they existed historically (and anyone else that fits that category), but most anything else based in ancient mythology/ancient religions are only known by their imagined representations. Just my opinion on the subject.

Having said that, I suppose there's still room for controversy since I have heard rumors of their being real life pictures of Uranus that have been floating around on the internet for awhile...

Edited by groundhog7s

Sticking with Gods/creatures/characters that no one reveres today is a safe bet, I think. The aim of the Charitymates project is to raise money; not create controversy. Now that being said, I think a Jesus Minimate would sell very well. Making the mythology theme more specific we could create female mythological characters and support Because I Am A Girl.

"And yet research is also clear that when girls reach their full potential, through improved status, better health care, and education, it is the most effective development tool for society as a whole. As a country's primary enrolment rate for girls increases, so too does its gross domestic product per capita."

- Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary General

I was thinking about that... maybe "The Power to Stop Bullies" or something like that? Does the theme we pick have to be be directly tied to the charity? I know it makes the whole thing a bit tidier, but I'm not sure it's a deal killer if we like the theme and we like the charity.

Full disclosure (not joking) : I'm a Christian who has a relatively healthy respect for most other religions & an above average knowledge of what or whom they believe in . I say 'above average' not out of arrogance ....it's a fact .

My 'dibs' comment was purely mischievous but if somebody wereto create a custom of Jesus it would have to be respectful & in the spirit (..sorry.. :rolleyes: ) of things. That said..... whose opinion of respectful are we going to have,mine ,yours ? We immediately have a problem don't we ?! Be careful guys.

For the record I'm in no hurry for a Jesus Minimate but the more I think about the more I love the idea :biggrin:

What's the chances of a Disciple Dump ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...