UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The person in charge of DST's Facebook page will censor your post if it's negative

Dio

I simply stated on one of their recent photos that both of the comic book stores I go to don't carry new Minimates anymore because of the shelfwarmers they've created in the past, and then they deleted my comment because they didn't like it.

If that's the case, i would ask Zach about it on here. He's been pretty direct with all questions here and i think he has some input into the Facebook page too. If anyone knows what's going on there, i'd say it would be him.

Sorry to hear that Dio. I for one am all about free speech and as long as one isn't being vulgar or detrimental, one's opinion SHOULD be heard. Then again, maybe DST doesn't want one of their biggest selling products to be labeled as "peg warmers" , so they made the call to omit your comment describing as such. I get it that you were just venting about your comic book shop choice not to carry minimates and NOT about DST's products. But it's their FB page and I guess they get the last word on what get's shared on their wall posts.

I'm not sure why you felt it was appropriate to post that in the first place?

especially on what is essentially free advertising for a product you are a fan of....

no offense but iI would have removed your post too... it has no place in an add for new product.

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

Is this DST's fault the comic book shop aren't stocking them? :unsure:

I'm not saying they were in a right to sensor you from the fb page i'm just wondering why the local comic book stores stopped carrying their biggest product. I'd say the best thing would be to chat to that Zach guy that Nessex mentioned, I'm still relatively new again here, I do understand where you're coming from though mate.

Theres absolutely nowhere near where I live that carry Minimates at all, we do have Tesco & Entertainer Toystores within about 10 minutes walking distance but they aren't stocking them, my nearest comic book shop that actually stock them is in the main town centre, even though i am registered as Living in Manchester and my town is in Manchester it still takes 45 minutes there and back on a painfully slow bus ride to get there.

Factoring into those problems and the fact that i can't always rely on my bowel to behave itself i opt to order online. :)

I have made at least one gently off color comment on the FB page in the past and was very gently asked to curb my behavior , to which I was happy to oblige. but I cant say I ever noticed them deleting a comment. (for those that must know I referred to minimates as "plastic-crack" which they very much are}

Like MOC says, DST set the page up for advertising purposes. Free speech doesn't really play a role in this context. I'm sure that they would like to not offend anyone by removing their posts, but they figure the benefits of only showing praise for their products on that sites outweighs the cost.

The "peg warmer" comment probably was the reason for its removal.

DST has every right to remove posts from their Facebook page, just as Ady (and staff) have every right to remove/edit posts made here. The only problem I've really noticed lately is the increase of members posting the same thing both here and at DST's Facebook page, and while it is great to be a fan and show DST how much you like their stuff, these are 2 entirely different venues and should be treated as such.

I'll just ask if you're certain the post was removed? I've had several times where I've posted something on different pages (including DSTs), seen the post and then later it's gone when the person didn't delete it. I know I've seen some negative things on their page before so I don't think they just delete things because they don't like what's said (although I know I might be wrong). Seriously, it's not like they're Shocker Toys (who I watched delete negative comments on their message board, then claim they didn't even though the original message that started the thread was gone and the only comments in there were from Shocker).

I simply stated on one of their recent photos that both of the comic book stores I go to don't carry new Minimates anymore because of the shelfwarmers they've created in the past, and then they deleted my comment because they didn't like it.

I removed it. You called our product "pegwarmers" on our Facebook page. Any other word, I probably would have left it. But calling Minimates "pegwarmers" on a consumer-targeted site is definitely not going to get comic stores to order more of them, if that is indeed what you want.

I've been pretty lenient with what gets posted up there. I let people post fun pics of our product. I let people post fun custom figures. I let people post their tattoos. I let people post pictures of characters they want MADE as product.

I DON'T let people talk about how awesome other companies' products are, and I DON'T allow blatant criticisms of our product. Not that they're not valid -- you should just make them here, where we're not trying to run a business. I don't let the Trek fans do it, so why should I let Minimates fans?

No offense intended by the deletion, Dio, although I certainly took offense to your comment. It hurt me. Inside. We never set out to hurt retailers, and we never released figures we intended to become pegwarmers. My job is to increase awareness of how great Minimates are, and drive customers to retail, and MAYBE reverse retailer attrition, and that comment did not help.

cat-moderator.jpg?m=1272633962

THIS.

I removed it. You called our product "pegwarmers" on our Facebook page. Any other word, I probably would have left it. But calling Minimates "pegwarmers" on a consumer-targeted site is definitely not going to get comic stores to order more of them, if that is indeed what you want.

I've been pretty lenient with what gets posted up there. I let people post fun pics of our product. I let people post fun custom figures. I let people post their tattoos. I let people post pictures of characters they want MADE as product.

I DON'T let people talk about how awesome other companies' products are, and I DON'T allow blatant criticisms of our product. Not that they're not valid -- you should just make them here, where we're not trying to run a business. I don't let the Trek fans do it, so why should I let Minimates fans?

No offense intended by the deletion, Dio, although I certainly took offense to your comment. It hurt me. Inside. We never set out to hurt retailers, and we never released figures we intended to become pegwarmers. My job is to increase awareness of how great Minimates are, and drive customers to retail, and MAYBE reverse retailer attrition, and that comment did not help.

cat-moderator.jpg?m=1272633962

THIS.

I didn't say all of your products were pegwarmers, I said that you have created pegwarmers in the past. This doesn't mean all of your products are pegwarmers. What were you thinking making the Hulk movie wave and the Thor army builders? They're so bad. Those are so hard to sell it's not even funny. My stores had to put them on clearance to get them to move.

What were you thinking making the Hulk movie wave and the Thor army builders? They're so bad. Those are so hard to sell it's not even funny. My stores had to put them on clearance to get them to move.

Dio, this is the kind of comment that the mods here may choose to censor/delete as it is directed at an employee of the company whose product we are here to discuss. Chin up and let it go.

Not to mention that Zach wasn't with DST when either of those items were released.

Not to mention that Zach paid you the courtesy of coming here to explain why he did what he did.

Edited by youbastards

I am good friends with an ebay pro seller. He is a big math nerd, and tracks every aspect of his ebay sales and trends. He tells me that each negative feedback left costs him $500. He has the numbers and proof to back that up. That is just one negative feedback on one guy's ebay profile. Imagine how much damage it could do to a big company like DST on a public Facebook page?

What were you thinking making the Hulk movie wave and the Thor army builders? They're so bad. Those are so hard to sell it's not even funny. My stores had to put them on clearance to get them to move.

Dio, this is the kind of comment that the mods here may choose to censor/delete as it is directed at an employee of the company whose product we are here to discuss. Chin up and let it go.

Not to mention that Zach wasn't with DST when either of those items were released.

Not to mention that Zach paid you the courtesy of coming here to explain why he did what he did.

I certainly don't take any of those comments as directed at me. I don't do line planning, and the Hulk line is three years old. But a few things:

1. You didn't say that all of our products were garbage, only that SOME of our products were garbage? Thank you for that. Still qualifies for deletion

2. Hindsight is golden. When you plan a line based on a script and a few photographs, you assume that the movie will be successful and all of the characters will be engaging. When the movie comes out, sometimes that isn't the case. I loved the movie, and I WISH I had all of those figures (I was on a toy hiatus at the time), but we are certainly not the only company to have made a line of toys that didn't sell.

3. When you pay for the Hulk movie license, you need to make a certain amount of product to recoup. We can't make two Minimates and call it a day. Should we have made more Hulks instead of Emil Blonsky, who is the awesomest character to ever appear in a movie ever?

4. I believe the only secret character in the Hulk wave was Abomination, and the Thor single packs were not secret. If the retailer didn't think they were going to sell, he wouldn't have bought them. So you're criticizing us for making them, and the retailer for buying them. And also any fan who bought and enjoyed them.

5. Here's what nine frost giants looks like in one place:

Captain-America-Mini-011.jpg

Kinda cool, right? (courtesy Idle Hands: http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-geekbook-2011-avengers.html)

Very cool. I mixed and matched Frost Giant parts (that sounds gross) to have more unique baddies for the Asgardians to battle.

Deleting a negative opinion from the FB page seems fair enough to me, for all of the reasons cited above.

I am good friends with an ebay pro seller. He is a big math nerd, and tracks every aspect of his ebay sales and trends. He tells me that each negative feedback left costs him $500. He has the numbers and proof to back that up. That is just one negative feedback on one guy's ebay profile. Imagine how much damage it could do to a big company like DST on a public Facebook page?

No one is perfect. Besides, I'm not the only one who has had a negative opinion about Minimates.

I certainly don't take any of those comments as directed at me. I don't do line planning, and the Hulk line is three years old. But a few things:

1. You didn't say that all of our products were garbage, only that SOME of our products were garbage? Thank you for that. Still qualifies for deletion

2. Hindsight is golden. When you plan a line based on a script and a few photographs, you assume that the movie will be successful and all of the characters will be engaging. When the movie comes out, sometimes that isn't the case. I loved the movie, and I WISH I had all of those figures (I was on a toy hiatus at the time), but we are certainly not the only company to have made a line of toys that didn't sell.

3. When you pay for the Hulk movie license, you need to make a certain amount of product to recoup. We can't make two Minimates and call it a day. Should we have made more Hulks instead of Emil Blonsky, who is the awesomest character to ever appear in a movie ever?

4. I believe the only secret character in the Hulk wave was Abomination, and the Thor single packs were not secret. If the retailer didn't think they were going to sell, he wouldn't have bought them. So you're criticizing us for making them, and the retailer for buying them. And also any fan who bought and enjoyed them.

5. Here's what nine frost giants looks like in one place:

Captain-America-Mini-011.jpg

Kinda cool, right? (courtesy Idle Hands: http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-geekbook-2011-avengers.html)

You're just taking it personally. EVERY toy company puts out SOME garbage.

first of all, no matter the company, a toy company will never agree to have made 'garbage' and of all the you companies i can think of, DST (at least minimates, since thats all i collect) have NEVER released 'garbage'

second of all, no ones squandering your opinion, i think whats being said is there are appropriate places to vent, and inappropriate places to vent

You're just taking it personally. EVERY toy company puts out SOME garbage.

Regardless of whether you think a line of toys -- that went unsold due to an unpopular character lineup, not due to any defect, mind you -- are "garbage," you can't say it on a company's FB page. I know not every company monitors their FB page. Marvel's page is like the wild West. I WISH I could delete comments there. But you can't dis DST on the DST page. Them's the rules.

Sorry for the deletion Dio. I almost didn't, but then figured, "this guy probably isn't on the MMMV, because nobody on the MMMV would say something like that"... off of the MMMV, I mean.