UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

End of the World

Jatta Pake

Between the 2012 Mayan apocalypse and the hit shows like "The Walking Dead", end of the world scenarios seem to be all around in pop culture. Economic collapse, climate change, robot uprising...there seems to be a world ender for everyone's tastes.

I recently stumbled across Exit Mundi and have been marveling at all of the ways human existence can end. What are your thoughts on the end of the world? Do you want to battle it out against the alien invasion, or fend off mutates after a nuclear holocaust? If the dead rise, what will you do?

Hrm, if I had to choose, I would choose not to fight off mutates of the post-apocalyptic variety, or any other kind for that matter. I saw both of the scientifically accurate docu-films Night of the Comet, and Hell Comes to Frogtown. In no situation does it work out well for us "normals." Aliens might be a'aight. At least you would have a chance against the Aliens aliens if you have the proper weapons (i.e., space vacuum or nuclear bomb). If it's Critters or Killer Klowns, though, I would not choose aliens as the means to the end of our times.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man it is!

Edited by karamazov80

is this the same "night of the comet" with the gal who is in the shielded radio station or whatever when a comet comes passing by and wipes out the population? If so I would kind of like to see a list of some of your other favorite "scientifically accurate docu-films"

I give no credence to the Myan "prophecy" It's a calendar, nothing more.

That being said, there does seem to be a general electric panic in the air lately. Like everyone is waiting for something big to happen. Governments all over the world are toppling. Western powerhouses are corrupt and flailing. Religions of all kinds, Christian, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, all say the end is near, within our lifetime.

Is this mass hysteria? Is there something to these claims? Honestly, I don't know. I do know that the world WILL end. The sun will burn out, the earth will incinerate. If we (or God?) takes action before that? Probably.

My bet in on nuclear fire, based on the Bhagavad Gita and Revelations 6:12-14

When he opened the sixth seal, I looked, and behold, there was a great earthquake, and the sun became black as sackcloth, the full moon became like blood, and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale. The sky vanished like a scroll that is being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

The world is definitely in one hell of a mess but that doesn't mean to say that things might eventually get better although my gut feeling is that they'll initially get far worse. Anybody with a modicum of knowledge knows what happened after the Great Depression in the 1930's & all the signs are unfortunately there yet again. I wouldn't worry too much about something from beyond the grave or beyond the stars attacking us ,I'd worry more about those elements that are playing on the fears of ordinary people like you & me.

Personally I've become more concerned about the people that are 'protecting' me rather than the people they're supposedly protecting me from.

"There is nothing so bad & so dangerous in life as fear" - Jawaharlal Nehru

Edited by buttheadsmate

I don't care how the world ends as long as I go with it. Post apocalypse makes for a nice video game, movie, book whatever... But I'd rather not live it myself. I'll be chillin in the afterlife and I'll see you guys there when you inevitably die of horrible postapocalytiosis.

I'll agree with bhm about how things have been in bad shape before, but I'll add that with the technological boom of the 20th century things have the potential to get a lot worse a lot more quicker than ever before in the history of the planet. Not to turn this into a religious discussion, but if you look at the signs of the end of the world that are presented in the New Testament of the Bible many of the things that it fortells can now be explained or accomplished through technological means whereas throughout history it would have had to happen through supernatural means. Just throwing that out there.

And yes, I am one of the people convinced the world will end at some point. My guess is it will probably involve David Hasslehoff in some way.

Oops.

Kinda hard to discuss this without religious implications. Anyhow, I've heard Christian prophets from my country say that the End is really near. Although 'near' is very vague. Is it within 5 years, 10 years, within or the century? I highly doubt it. As I am not religious, I don't particularly subscribe to any supernatural end scenario.

The Sun will last for another 5 billion years, so that's definitely a deadline. But will the world survive long enough to witness that? I don't think so. Humanity will exhaust Earth's resources way before the Sun grows into a supernova. But I do believe in human resourcefulness, so I believe we will find a way to adapt and colonize other planets or systems.

Of course, if it's the Universe's demise we are talking about, then poof, we are all gone, physically anyway.

Oh, and the signs of the end of times, same old story. Bubonic Plague, Great Depression, The World Wars and the minor wars, Y2K all produced similar 'signs'. But we're still here.

And I'm sure we'll still play with our minimates on January 1, 2013. Wanna bet? :D

Well, 12 years ago the world was going to end as we knew it too. Y2K was going to wipe out all the world's computers, kill millions, eliminate all records, and send us back to the 1800's technology wise. I knew people who stocked up on no parishables, gasoline and generators. And on January 1 2000... nuthin'.

And that the best hyped end of the world senario in my lifetime. Let's not forget the american "prophet" who predicted the world would end twice this year. I remember many other end of the world dates being given in my life, and the world spins on.

On December 22, 2012... also nuthin'.

But... if pressed to choose the adventurer in me would prefer somthing we could struggle against and maybe win. But that gets messy, slow, and probably painful. The father that I am would prefer if it's going to end, end quickly, painlessly, and without a lot of warning as the idea of my kids suffering scares me far more than the end of the world.

There are plenty of other things that seem kind of spooky happening in 2012. Do I believe they will end the world? No, but spooky none the less. We have solar storms/flares (only thing scary about this is the discussion I over heard at work, and where I work does not allow me to discuss what I heard as it is for the military, nuff said. Of course it was speculation.). Also, we have planet alignment. Potential for epic seismic events as well as minor polar shifts.

One thing I find interesting that is sort of the same subject is the fact a lot of folks seem to think this insane weather we have been getting this year and last has something to do with the end of times. Of course, anything is possible, but again after doing some research you will notice that it is very common to hear "This is the worst we've seen in 100 years". Well, there is a theory and it's one that I believe in, that the Earth shifts about a single degree diagonally off it's axis and shifts back, this takes a year and happens every hundred years or so.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see these things occur next year. However, if anything catastrophic occurs. I believe it will be caused by PEOPLE freaking out and causing mass hysteria. Sorry, thought way to into this.

I'm not too worried. I figure there've been people claiming the end is near for hundreds, nay, thousands of years, and look, we're still here. And in terms of Christian Biblical study, there's that whole no one can know the day or hour thing, so every time there's a prediction, I can rest easy knowing that the simple act of predicting has made it incorrect. Of course, the end of the world would be a pretty crappy time to find out the Bible is wrong. That would probably shake some faith.

I actually know a guy in that Christian Family Radio Cult. Thats the one where the old guy keeps saying the world is going to end... Really sad. This guy has given everything he owns to this cook and really believes in all this BS... Really really sad. Im just glad they havent all killed themselves, yet...

The problem with the weather is that it's just that... weather. As far back as the 1970's there were front page articles in Time magazine about how we were heading into a new ice age, and how we should nuke the ice caps to melt them. When I was younger they announced a "New" weather system not seen in 2000 years, known by the Myans (anything strange, pick Myan. there's some interesting psychology there, but that's another discussion.) called El Nino. The next year it was followed by La Nina.

But hat didn't sell enough news papers, so they invented Global Warming. Never mind you that we had 'El Nino' twice this year and it didn't even make the headlines, unlike in the 90's when it was causing panic and going to kill all out fish. Now we're all going to die because the ice caps are melting, the exact thing they wanted to happen in the 70's.

Now Global Warming in on the way out, and it is currently called "Climate Change". Why? Because people are acclimated to "Global Warming" and it doesn't instill panic and drive media ratings like it did 10 years ago. Give it another decade. Climate Change will be passe and something new will be ready to kill us, with the news media ready to pronounce gloom and doom.

In the meantime, I will continue to call it 'weather'.

It has been foretold..............

"The Mayans shalt turn to Myans thenceforth El Dino shalt speak with tongues from Hizoneass"

"Locusts wilt flourish in the bay from dawn to dusk" post-638-0-16683400-1322729731_thumb.jpg

"He shalt arrive & his head will bear the marks of the butt & he shalt devour the articulated until they are no more"

"....yay verily..... another will arrive early on the first day & scalp the newcomers that hang with peg "

"They that test the oracle each day at early rise will know that he that is Trudotcomus still sleeps "

"Give me your gold & I shalt send thee plastic" Luke Ch.4 v.3

"The pig that lays on the ground shalt be ignored"

"There shalt be a great wave & we will forget all our old customs"

"Three Angels shalt appear & thence disappear leaving great misery & a warpath "

Edited by buttheadsmate