UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Curse of the Mutants

Nessex

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan of the excellent Captain Britain and MI13 I may get this for Blade and Dracula. Couldn't care less for Wolv and Jubilee though, but in the past I've ended up spending as much as the boxset, if not more trying to get just one/two/three of the figs, so I may buy this as it is when I have some spare cash.

Wolverine does have his mask included, right? They showed that at one of the shows or something. I like that version of his costume, and the good Lord knows I have plenty of spare Wolverine heads to de-vamp him, so if he does come with the mask that would push this set out of "undecided" and into the "want" category. (what? you guys don't have a colunm in your minimate spreadsheets that details whether you own it, want it, or don't?)

I too, have been thinking about getting this set for Blade and Dracula, with the intention of sticking a 'proper' Wolverine head on to get an updated modern version.

I did actually enjoy the storyline itself, but have no interest in vampire versions of X-Men.

They've missed the real star of the show though, who was (as always) Cyclops.

I like the new Blade, and Dracula looks good. Not as keen on the other two, but I'll pick it up. This Blade made me think though, we really need a new Luke Cage. I get tired of rehashes, but he really needs one.

Also, every one of the four bios on the back mentions Xarus, but he's not getting made? That doesn't really make sense.

Also, every one of the four bios on the back mentions Xarus, but he's not getting made? That doesn't really make sense.

Maybe there's a Xarus planned for an upcoming TRU pack.

The thing that bothered me about the actual story was the further blurring of the science/magical line about the nature of vampires. The Blade movies introduced the idea that just being bitten once was enough to become a vampire. To be fair, other vampire movies at the time and since have continued that impression. But in the 616, actual turning from living human to undead vampire required, well, death. More specifically, being drained by a vampire till it kills you death. Sure there were some viral properties to vampires that would change the dead body into an undead thing, and being bitten by a vampire could weaken a living person's ability to resist vampiric mind control powers.

But now vampirism is a virus that can be beaten by Howlette's healing factor like it were a Brood implantation. Sah-Ree... but if you used nanotech to "turn off" Jimmy's healing powers, and he is turned into a vampire in the traditional sense, well then he's dead. There's nothing to turn back on. He's gone and mystically raised and any healing ability he has is related to his now undead state. Turning the nanites off later would do nuthin'. But that's not what happened. As always, Wolverine "got better" and his restored healing factor beat vampirism. This says plainly that vampirism is just a virus that can be cured, and thus in the realms of science. And yet the same tale was full of the mystic aspects of vampire lore.

To my mind, vampires are magical undead monsters, making them anything else lessens them.

The most interesting thing about the entire box set is that 'Dracula' is actually a Marvel TM ! These look OK & I guess that Dracula is comic -accurate (?) .... but WTF are his teeth ?? I'll be buying them of course (yawn) but am I excited ? Nope.

I reckon the way it works at DST is like this .........

"OK guys what's gonna sell?"

"I'm not sure Chuck but those guys on the 'verse are on about the Winter Soldier"

"Nuts to them....anyway he's dead .....I said who's gonna sell?"

"Howzabout The Falcon ,Chuck?"

"Too obscure .....we need something different (pause).....I've got it :ohmy: ....howzabout a Wolverine variant...."

"Howzabout a vampire Wolverine ,Chuck?"

"GREAT idea .....GREAT IDEA ....we can have Dracula as well !!!!"

"Isn't he dead Chuck?"

"Undead Zach undead" :rolleyes:

"What about Morbius Chuck? He'd be amazing"

"He's a living vampire Zach completely out of context with the rest of the set :rolleyes: "

"OK Chuck you're right so why don't we have a box set with Morbius,Damon Hellstrom,Brother Voodoo & a brand new Doctor Strange?"

" :rolleyes: As if that would sell :lol: "

Bloody bloody hell .

Some small part of me is interested in Blade, but. . .not that much. Dull, dull, dull looking figures. This just doesn't work with Minimates IMO, and I have a tough time seeing this sell.

Edited by karamazov80

Well - this box-set does check a few of the right boxes for me.

New character? Check - Dracula

Character in need of a upate? Check - Blade

Much requested costume variant? Check - Current Wolverine

Obscure character that is not important enough for a 2-pack? Check - FA Vampire Jubilee

Unfortunately, none of those guys excite me very much. I will still get it - but i'm not chomping at the bit the way i was for the AoA packs.

I do hope we will see a Xarus down the road. I think his costume could look good as a Mate and he was the main protagonist for this story.

I know BHM is joking - but we have been given some pretty obscure/un-toyetic characters now and then. Perhaps not as often as we'd like, & perhaps not always the ones we all want - but i can't imagine too many other toylines making good on Stilt Man, Spymaster, Selene, Jewel, Gwen Stacy, JJJ, Karma, DoomBots, Gamora, Sif, Meggan etc . . .

this set is not a 'must have' for me. But i can't really begrudge them releasing it.

Edited by Nessex

I'm pretty sure buttheadsmate is joking, but I'm positive that's how it goes at DST.

Of course I was joking & DST have my total respect in all that they do but a bit of criticism delivered in a friendly way won't hurt will it? One of the most beautiful set of Minimate characters I've ever seen was the latest MvC SDCC box set & the character choice is just incomprehensible to a non-gamer like myself BUT the characters themselves are stunning. On the face of it we get another Iron Man ....in reality we get one of the best minimates I have ever seen & undoubtedly one of the best of the whole ton of Iron Mans previously seen. In the same pack we have a new Rulk which attains the rank of 'bhm's most improved version of any Minimate ever' .....the previously released version was garbage IMHO & wrecked an otherwise classic wave(25).....this character is brilliant. The Capcom characters are a 'struggle' for me ...purely because of my ignorance of the characters...... but there is no denying that they are colourful ,beautifully executed & interesting to the casual buyer.

All that said I'll come back to the Curse set....what can I say that is constructive? Very little except to make it clear that I,for one,am disappointed with what I perceive to be a bland .....& somehow dark ....set of Minimates that is aimed at exactly who? I realise that these characters are dark but I'm getting a tad tired of dark characters,in fact can anybody name the last Marvel Minimate character that had anything like a smile on his face....goofy Parker excluded?

Edit: OK... OK... Vampire Jubilee.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm looking forward to this set, mostly for the very reasons Nessex already posted. There are some cool new pieces used on Blade and Dracula that will make me pick up another set for parts, and I can't tell from the picture, but from the look of his neck, does Wolvie come with his 'hanging mask' piece they used on Brown Wolverine? It would be nice to get that in yellow.

EDIT: Yep, it looks like we are getting the hanging mask piece with Wolvie, per the picture on the back of the box.

Edited by youbastards

Ah, Cap-Wolf. Not Gru's proudest moment. Better than the time Superia tried to turn Steve into a woman, but not quite as interesting as Sersi transforming Cap into a teenager. (note- when all you can come up with is to transform you're lead character into different things, you have probably been on a book too long.)

I would like to see some Mummy Avengers.

That would wrap things up nicely & we could possibly have some sort of pharaoh character ......a villain .........maybe ..........

RAMA-TUT :thumbsup:

Like the way you're thinking, my good man!:highfive2:

Ah, Cap-Wolf. Not Gru's proudest moment. Better than the time Superia tried to turn Steve into a woman, but not quite as interesting as Sersi transforming Cap into a teenager. (note- when all you can come up with is to transform you're lead character into different things, you have probably been on a book too long.)

Heh. I remember Cap-Wolf, as well as skinny teen Cap :lol