UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 5: Fighting for Japan

Super Fighter Extreme Vs. Ultimate Tournament 5: Fight for Japan sounds great to me!!

I'll have to get this one finished rather quickly since I'll be moving in 2 weeks.

(Sorry about the theme name there, just kinda popped in my head when I was about to type this out....lol)

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing whoever is in charge (Luke?) will post the rules and guidelines soon and all our questions will be answered.

For those who are new to the project, I imagine the fifth incarnation will run much like the first four. Here are some links that will explain how the project works:

The first Charitymates project was called 'Monsters for Blood' - we created monster minimates and chose to support America's Blood Centers. The second project was called 'Manimals for the Animals' - we created anthropomorphic animal minimates and supported the World Wildlife Fund. The third round was called 'The Mind's Eye' - we created famous literary characters and supported Books for Kids. The fourth Charitymates project was called 'A Convoy of Robots' - we created Robot customs and supported Convoy of Hope.

And if you haven't already, you should check out Luke's Charitymates site that he created last year.

Edited by Fujis

Wow! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Fujis. It's been a while since I've seen all those customs all grouped together. Boy, did we as a group ever do some fantastic work. Can't wait to get going on this new venture.

Thats awesome, i almost forgot what minimates we made.

Cant we make a history page on the Charitymates site?

And maybe we can dig up all the older Pics of the other years?

Charitymates 5: Fighting for Japan (Auctions starting June 1, 2011)

A tournament of legendary fighters from all over the world is about to begin!

Current Participants

*MINI MYTE

*groundhog7s

*jcastick

*robotmate

*brobotc

*drgnrbrn316

*koi-girl

*buttheadsmate

*Mattallica

*Ivan

*boyd

*Punisher

*Bob Harris

*pawcanada

*TM2 Dinobot

*luke314pi

*minimadman

*Aapje

*Fujis

*eclipse

*bobafett

*youbastards

*Shamrock

*SErge

*A.J.V.

I will update this list as people respond (let me know if I forgot anyone!). I set a date for the auctions to begin on June 1st, so I should really receive them at least a week beforehand.

I will put together a logo for this event in the next few days based on A.J.V.'s design, and then I will send it out to toy news sites along with a press release.

Each fighter will need to be your own creation, and please create a bio for him/her/it.

Nice, so its about different kinds of warriors?

And Luke, do you think my request is possible?

Can i get dibs on a buddhist shoalin monk?

First, Luke, correct me if I'm worng, but I never said anything about participating, did I? Anyway, putting me on the list just because you had the subconscious sentience I'd already said yes, gives me a fuzzy feeling* of beeing welcome. So, yeah, I try my best to get one of these guys done in time! ;) (But don't try this in other situations, like inviting you on a drink or something like that...)

Something else: I really like the idea of going all SF style with the player select screen etc. What do you think about also taking pictures of the actual one-on-one fighting screens? We could draw by lot or somehow which customizers' characters will match up in these scenes - like Granny's Vs. BHM's (which means nude Bea Arthur vs, erm, Zorro?). I think that would especially be funny, before we actually know which characters everybody will do.

*: Not in this particular sense.

Hey, that's a good idea, Bob. It'd of course be up to Luke, as it would mean more photography for him once he has all the entries.

I was starting to wonder if we should be keeping track of what everyone plans to do, like way back in charitymates 1 (maybe the others too, I didn't participate) to make sure we don't wind up with duplicates. In this case duplicates of the same fighting game stereotypes. Though that could just add to it, because fighting games are known for their clone characters.

I'm lost, what are we doing?

We are making tournament fighters for charity. Other than that, we are just discussing different ways of presenting and marketing these.

First, Luke, correct me if I'm worng, but I never said anything about participating, did I? Anyway, putting me on the list just because you had the subconscious sentience I'd already said yes, gives me a fuzzy feeling* of beeing welcome. So, yeah, I try my best to get one of these guys done in time! ;) (But don't try this in other situations, like inviting you on a drink or something like that...)

Something else: I really like the idea of going all SF style with the player select screen etc. What do you think about also taking pictures of the actual one-on-one fighting screens? We could draw by lot or somehow which customizers' characters will match up in these scenes - like Granny's Vs. BHM's (which means nude Bea Arthur vs, erm, Zorro?). I think that would especially be funny, before we actually know which characters everybody will do.

*: Not in this particular sense.

Bob, I am sorry I put you on the list without your consent! It was not intentional. I am glad to hear you are going to try and get an entry made. :)

Hey, that's a good idea, Bob. It'd of course be up to Luke, as it would mean more photography for him once he has all the entries.

I was starting to wonder if we should be keeping track of what everyone plans to do, like way back in charitymates 1 (maybe the others too, I didn't participate) to make sure we don't wind up with duplicates. In this case duplicates of the same fighting game stereotypes. Though that could just add to it, because fighting games are known for their clone characters.

I think taking 1-on-1 pictures is a great idea, and when the time comes for me to take pictures, I will probably just match them up in the way that makes the most sense visually. I don't think that declaring your custom ahead of time should be required, as some people might not even know what kind of fighter they are making until they actually sit down and make it, but it is definitely an option for anyone who wants to do that.

As my name is currently missing from the list I'm going to sulk.... I might even have my own contest & none of you lot can enter :sad:

Fixed that. ;)

So here's something I want to ask that I'm sure will get denied:

Can we either COMPLETELY cut out knock-off characters like a yellow harpoon wielding ninja or blonde guy in a red gi clearly meant to be Scorpion and Ken BUT not called Scorpion and Ken OR allow those characters to be sold as custom versions of the official characters?

Last time we had a robot that was the Sinister Six but hidden with a wink and nudge, and robot that was blatantly Deadpool, yet at the same time the rules said if we had made say Robotman from Doom Patrol or War Machine it wasn't allowed because we can't make copyrighted characters.

I'd like to see the entries be all original, But if you MUST make a Scorpion like ninja, can we PLEASE just call a spade a spade and call him "Scorpion" not "Undead Fire Bug Warrior: with skull and chain-blade weapon ;)" throw some kind of disclaimer on saying "this is an unlicensed fan made figure not produced or endorsed by (the parent company)" and we should be okay, especially since I've never seen DST official endorse this event and yet we bandy about THEIR trademarked name "minimates" in the title.

If Capcom let's this sell for money http://cgi.ebay.com/Chun-Li-Bikini-Stree-Fighter-1-6-Resin-Model-Kits-/250788311897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6425f359#ht_1202wt_831 (search for 'Sexy Chun Li Resin' there's a WAY flithier one I didn't link too because this is a family site) for profit, I don't think they'll shut down an auction for charity because it claims to be Sagat and not "Eyepatched Muai Thai Fighter... LOL I gave him a video camera and his name is Bob ;)"

TL;DR: Can we either outright ban knock-off characters or just let them be sold AS that character instead of pretending a huge companies lawyers are stupid?

i think we should be aloud to do 'knock offs' if its actually intended, i want to do a sort of tribute to marvel vs capcom but with my own heroes and steriotypical capcom like characters.

Can we either COMPLETELY cut out knock-off characters like a yellow harpoon wielding ninja or blonde guy in a red gi clearly meant to be Scorpion and Ken BUT not called Scorpion and Ken OR allow those characters to be sold as custom versions of the official characters?

Last time we had a robot that was the Sinister Six but hidden with a wink and nudge, and robot that was blatantly Deadpool, yet at the same time the rules said if we had made say Robotman from Doom Patrol or War Machine it wasn't allowed because we can't make copyrighted characters.

Sorry you felt mine and Mattalica's entries for a Charity event weren't original enough...but technically they weren't copyrighted characters.

Sorry you felt mine and Mattalica's entries for a Charity event weren't original enough...but technically they weren't copyrighted characters.

You know Rob Liefeld tried that same logic on Marvel with "the Fighting American", they saw through his "technically he's not Captain America ;)"

You called it "the SyNISTeR 6.0" and had Norman Osborn (I'm sorry Norbert) standing next to it, it was designed to terminate Spiders, and each of it's weapons is named after a Spider-man villain (except for the 'Flame Thrower, Gattling Gun, and Missile launcher.'

My post wasn't meant to put down you or Matt, both your customs were amazing. But c'mon, you can say "technically weren't copyrighted" but if you expect me to believe it was in no way meant to HEAVILY evoke a copyrighted character that's silly. My post was meant to ask why you couldn't just call it "the Sinister 6.0" made by NorMAN Osborn to hunt Spider-man with weapons based on Spider-man's enemies. Would your genius parts reuse have been lessened if you said "Scorpion's stingers" instead of "S.C.O.R.P.I.O.N."? No, it's still terrific. Does the non-Spiderman backstory add to the custom? I'm sorry to say, but no... I honestly don't think whoever bought it is pretending it hunts Spiders in the year 2046, it's probably a Spider-Slayer that hunts Spider-man.

I just think if we're going to skirt the rule so blatantly we should do anyway with it. If someone wants to make a copyrighted character they should allowed to, and if someone wants to tie their backstory into a copyright character they should be able to, without everyone having to poke each other in the ribs and be all "I see what ya did there you made some well done M.Bison, Vega, Balrog, and Sagat customs people would like to own... but you called them the bosses from 'Boulevard Brawler 2' and said their names were B.Miceon, The Mighty Claw-Mask, Gandolf, and Saget so clearly they're not the Sf2 Bosses and for whatever reason that makes them not copyrighted!"

I guess that I'm with you dr baghead to a degree & if this were a competition I'd totally agree.....however it isn't so I don't. The essence of this annual event is to raise money for a charity or good cause & I wouldn't think that this year's choice of 'victim' would worry too much whether anybody's custom was called Sue Storm or Sue Nami,as long as they benefitted from the proceeds. The organisers of events such as this have enough to deal with already ,asking them to adjudicate whether this is right or wrong should be left to him/them & just left at that...in my opinion. Political correctness on the other hand could kill this event ...take the gloves off & let the ideas flow.