UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU WAVE 12

buttheadsmate

The Marvel movies were great. Green Lantern was the flop...

The timing could have been better, but I'm excited for this wave. I can't wait to find it for myself. I can tell I'm going to love Balder, Thor, Crossbones and Zola. I also like that jacket for Cap. It might have been nice to have a separate wave for Cap and Thor instead of sharing.. could always use more villains for these guys.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer? They were just late getting this wave out in time for either the movie's theatrical or home video release. These were meant to be the comics tie ins for the Cap and Thor movie waves.

Untrue. This wave was simply meant to be a follow-up to a summer that generated a lot more interest among casual fans in Thor and Captain America. Although I believe production did slide slightly, and having it out for the DVD release would have been ideal, no intended milestone was missed.

Today I learned three things:

1- The Wave has yet to reach the TRU in Burbank. However, there was a fresh batch of wave 11 there, along with plenty of First Class and Captain America Movie mates.

2- Hitting that place before noon is totally the way to go this time of year. I think I might check the other, closer, TRU tomorrow right before I treat myself to breakfast.

3- I experienced first hand (via evesdropping) the power of the big name redos that are somewhat loathed across the board. As I came to the collector's aisle, there was a mother and son standing in front of the minimates with very unhappy looks on their faces. The mother ran off to grab an associate and ended up asking if they had any minimate Wolverine's. "I want on that looks like this," she said pointing to the Wolverine squaring off against Ryu on the MvC3 packs, "I don't care who he's with, but I need that one." The associate, of course, had no good answer for her and I believe they without getting anything (I kinda walked away before the very end of it, I didn't want to be some creeper). Point is, I saw in motion, exactly what Zach's been talking about in terms of why we see so many Vanilla editions of the big guns every wave.

Point is, I saw in motion, exactly what Zach's been talking about in terms of why we see so many Vanilla editions of the big guns every wave.

Once again, Funkguerrilla has taught us something about ourselves, and about life.

Kind of ironic there isn't a Wolverine on sale now. If only they'd found a Series 10 or Series 9 two-pack -- even then, it's a shirtless version and a brown-costume version. Might not have been good enough.

Untrue. This wave was simply meant to be a follow-up to a summer that generated a lot more interest among casual fans in Thor and Captain America. Although I believe production did slide slightly, and having it out for the DVD release would have been ideal, no intended milestone was missed.

I just meant there was no room on the schedule to get these out along with the two theatrical waves, and you had mentioned the slide that missed the DVD release earlier. But I was trying to go with a digest version for brevity's sake. Hence the term "Short answer". That said, I'll try to be clearer next "Short answer", since I did not mean for it to sound like something went wrong on your end.

Got my SW Cap/Crossbones backordered pack today... pretty nice. Like Crossbones a lot, and I appreciate all the different display options for him. Cap... well, he's there. If we were going to get a short-lived Cap costume, I would really prefer Nomad (from Steve Englehart's seminal '70's run), or the Captain (AKA Steve Rogers in the US Agent outfit), or Man Without a Country (from the Mark Waid/Ron Garney run). Man, that Cap Through the Ages set just seems like such a missed opportunity to me....

3- I experienced first hand (via evesdropping) the power of the big name redos that are somewhat loathed across the board. As I came to the collector's aisle, there was a mother and son standing in front of the minimates with very unhappy looks on their faces. The mother ran off to grab an associate and ended up asking if they had any minimate Wolverine's. "I want on that looks like this," she said pointing to the Wolverine squaring off against Ryu on the MvC3 packs, "I don't care who he's with, but I need that one." The associate, of course, had no good answer for her and I believe they without getting anything (I kinda walked away before the very end of it, I didn't want to be some creeper). Point is, I saw in motion, exactly what Zach's been talking about in terms of why we see so many Vanilla editions of the big guns every wave.

Sadly, by eavesdropping, you missed a great opportunity to tell them about the upcoming LCBS wave 44 with Wolverine, and encouraging them to try different minimates in the meantime until Wave 44's release :biggrin:

Sometimes, minimates cool factor isn't as strong in the package as they are in hand. I showed my father some at TRU yesterday, he just shrugged his shoulders. He was more impressed when he saw them in hand at home (Dracula & Frankenstein). Maybe minimates need action-poses in the packaging to show off their articulation better?

Sadly, by eavesdropping, you missed a great opportunity to tell them about the upcoming LCBS wave 44 with Wolverine, and encouraging them to try different minimates in the meantime until Wave 44's release :biggrin:

Sometimes, minimates cool factor isn't as strong in the package as they are in hand. I showed my father some at TRU yesterday, he just shrugged his shoulders. He was more impressed when he saw them in hand at home (Dracula & Frankenstein). Maybe minimates need action-poses in the packaging to show off their articulation better?

Next time this happens, grab a pillow and SMOTHER THEM. That's the great opportunity you missed.

:teehee:

That is so very true ,absolutely spot-on .

Perhaps somebody someday will explain to me why Marvel Waves 4 to 22 never even allowed the Minimates to be seen in the package ,I've always been amazed by that decision .

Saw all but the Crossbones/SW Cap today at TRU surprisingly as only a few weeks ago did they finally get in wave 11. Fortunately, I already got my TRU order of the exclusives sets yesterday in the mail.

I got Thor/Balder and Cap/Zola today (I'm behind the curve getting this one, I know). Just two great Minimate packs. These are the kind of things that remind me why I love Minimates so much. Even the re-releases are great. Two thumbs up from me. I'm anxiously awaiting Crossbones.

Those little boxes and their pop up counter display always struck me as an effort to make minimates something of an impulse purchase. You know the kind of small item near the register that doesn't cost too much and might be fun. Todays Mates are a little beyond that and demand exposure. I agree that a little effort posing them might go a long way for sales. Even the group photo on the back has them in a fairly static pose. The mini poster with the AIM agents was a step in the right direction but you had to buy the mates to see it. That kind of photo on the back of the box could be inspiring to a new buyer. I still love that shot with all the aim agents and the claw hands flailing around

Perhaps somebody someday will explain to me why Marvel Waves 4 to 22 never even allowed the Minimates to be seen in the package ,I've always been amazed by that decision .

Don't listen to Youbastards. It was entirely based on license restrictions. We would have shown them, had we been allowed to. Shelf/counter display vs. peg display might have been a licensing issue, as well.

Except there is no Wolverine in Wave 44! He should have told them about Curse of the Mutants. Until MvC3 Series 2 hits, that's their best bet.

Don't listen to Youbastards.

Isn't that kind of a general rule of thumb around here anyway? :tongue:

I'm still exceedingly happy with this wave. One of the nice details that I think gets overlooked is the little flag on SW Cap's arm. It's one of those things that if it weren't there, I wouldn't have noticed, but it is there and it's done well. The entire wave is done well with plenty of nice details. I'm still just in love with it. :wub:

Don't listen to Youbastards. It was entirely based on license restrictions. We would have shown them, had we been allowed to. Shelf/counter display vs. peg display might have been a licensing issue, as well.

That has to be the absolute strangest restriction I've ever heard. :confused:

Except there is no Wolverine in Wave 44! He should have told them about Curse of the Mutants. Until MvC3 Series 2 hits, that's their best bet.

I think he probably meant the "Best Of" wave. Have you guys ever considered doing a box set or wave for TRU that would be in semiregular production (say twice a year) to keep the big guys on the shelves?

Always good advice. Think I'll put that in my sig...

Crossbones and Balder arrived today. (thx Mattallica) This is a good news bad news thing... great that I got them in hand... not so great because since they arrived before Christmas, my wife has claimed them as part of Santa's present to me so I can't open them till Sunday. I think it's the first time ever I've been disappointed to get fast shipping.

Isn't that kind of a general rule of thumb around here anyway? :tongue:

Always good advice. Think I'll put that in my sig...

Aww shucks guys, you really know how to flatter a guy! :wub:

In my defense Miry, that signature does count as the most concise post you've ever made! :tongue: