UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wizard World Philadelphia highlights

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool News! Now if only we could get an authentic Peter Parker wearing Johnny Storm's Fantastic 4 costume with bare feet and a paper bag over his head....

Honestly, I think when it comes to Marvel, they are bravely going forward through that massive universe with Kang and Jim Lee's X-Men not very far off. Good news for everyone!

:banana:

With so much mini news in so many different areas of comics, movies and television.. I am really surprised the DC license doesn't try and jump back in. DC Box set + TRU = solid.. (IMHO).

I'm still thinking that a Jim Lee Cyc/Jean Grey might show up as a TRU Exclusive when the Storm/Black Panther wave comes out (if those show up at TRU).

:wub:

Oh please, DST. PLEASE!! I mean, i totally agree with you, except on waiting for Wave 29. I think it might be another case of "let's slap a few figures from new waves together" syndrome. Look at TRU wave 3; i think the "whole wave" thing died in wave 1.

Personally, i'd have waited to release wave 3, and WOULD NOT have released Bullseye and Moonstone with them. Think about it; there's a two pack of Jim Lee Logan and Jim Lee Sabretooth. A Jean and Scott two-pack would have fit perfectly here.

However, this isn't a possibility anymore, so it's up to the future. I'd hope to see Wave 28 in full hit TRU, and this as that exclusive. I mean, it's an all-X-men wave, minus the Skrull!! This would make the perfect set to accompany it.

And, ya know, it's SCOTT AND JEAN GREY!!!!! :lol:

I'm still thinking that a Jim Lee Cyc/Jean Grey might show up as a TRU Exclusive when the Storm/Black Panther wave comes out (if those show up at TRU).

Only if it's more than 1 per case.

grumble grumble stuipid shortpacked moonstone grumble grumble

I am really surprised the DC license doesn't try and jump back in. DC Box set + TRU = solid.. (IMHO).

I plan on asking about this at Comic Con (as are, I'm sure, many other people), but from what a few other sources and interviews say, it sounds like the DC thing wasn't a problem with profitability as much as DCD just not having a good working relationship with DST. It may be that no amount of cajoling, reasoning or rationalizing can get two companies back together when they don't like each other...

Personally, i'd have waited to release wave 3, and WOULD NOT have released Bullseye and Moonstone with them. Think about it; there's a two pack of Jim Lee Logan and Jim Lee Sabretooth. A Jean and Scott two-pack would have fit perfectly here.

However, you could argue that it's exactly the right time for two characters who are 1) related, although obliquely, to the current Dark Avengers storyline and 2) directly related to the Thunderbolts pack at SDCC. The iron doesn't get much hotter than that, especially for characters who aren't Marvel mainstays like the X-men. It would be a shame to miss the boat on those two and never have another justifiable slot to put them in.

Cool News! Now if only we could get an authentic Peter Parker wearing Johnny Storm's Fantastic 4 costume with bare feet and a paper bag over his head....

Honestly, I think when it comes to Marvel, they are bravely going forward through that massive universe with Kang and Jim Lee's X-Men not very far off. Good news for everyone!

With so much mini news in so many different areas of comics, movies and television.. I am really surprised the DC license doesn't try and jump back in. DC Box set + TRU = solid.. (IMHO).

I was wondering about this myself. With what appears to be minimates at their most popular time...I wonder if DC is starting to feel they left the party just a bit too early.

- Paul

More news highlights:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/v...pic.php?t=14922 :)

I wonder what the BSG ones will be?

Minimate pack-ins with the BSG season boxsets? Sounds sweet, though if any of those will actually see distribution across the Pacific then I'll be even more impressed. As for what figures they'll be, if it'll be anything like Ultimate Avengers 2 then I predict the "big name" ones: a generic Cylon, Starbuck, Lee, Six, Adama... who knows?

Perhaps the bigger shock for me though was the actual possibility of Joss Whedon minimates. Just the thought of official Buffy, Firefly or Dr Horrible mates sorta gave me goosebumps. Hope the man reconsiders.

So now we have "confirmation" of Gambit and Wraith in the Wolverine movie boxset... I'm betting my left shoe Barakapool is gonna be in there too, making that final spot up for grabs... Oh, what am I talking about? It;'s gonna be another Wolverine. (Maybe it'll be one of the "flashback" variants... American Civil War Wolvie FTW! :P)

And I am now more excited for the playsets than ever. And if they're coming with two Minimates... maybe they'll be army-builders? :D

More news highlights:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/v...pic.php?t=14922 :)

I wonder what the BSG ones will be?

Minimate pack-ins with the BSG season boxsets? Sounds sweet, though if any of those will actually see distribution across the Pacific then I'll be even more impressed. As for what figures they'll be, if it'll be anything like Ultimate Avengers 2 then I predict the "big name" ones: a generic Cylon, Starbuck, Lee, Six, Adama... who knows?

Perhaps the bigger shock for me though was the actual possibility of Joss Whedon minimates. Just the thought of official Buffy, Firefly or Dr Horrible mates sorta gave me goosebumps. Hope the man reconsiders.

So now we have "confirmation" of Gambit and Wraith in the Wolverine movie boxset... I'm betting my left shoe Barakapool is gonna be in there too, making that final spot up for grabs... Oh, what am I talking about? It;'s gonna be another Wolverine. (Maybe it'll be one of the "flashback" variants... American Civil War Wolvie FTW! :P)

And I am now more excited for the playsets than ever. And if they're coming with two Minimates... maybe they'll be army-builders? :D

Little Wolverine from the beginning maybe? Like, 1800s Wolverine. Or naked Wolverine from the escape from the Weapon X Facility.

I can't believe that the Wolvie: Origins 'Mates have sold well enough to warrant more being produced. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person to have bought any from any TRU that I've been to since their release.

If we have to get a Wolverine, I'd love to finally see a battle-damaged version.

And as to DC finally seeing the light about now being the time to sell Minimates, I have to go back to my theory that DC Direct is a company that just doesn't want to make money. They just don't have a clue. With a little re-organizing, DC Minimates could be a big seller.

Some collective thoughts:

Wow. BSG complete Series with Minimate exclusives. Dammit; i was just about to order that too, since it came out today, with free 2-day shipping so i could hurridly watch Season 3 (the one i haven't seen yet) and play with my Cylon. ;) I just really hope this is something like the GB Game's ex-Minimates, in which it's a Four-pack and not "buy here for [x], and here for [y]." Oh, maybe DST was spying on me last night when i drew up the plans for my next customs, "D'anna Biers TTA..." :lol: No, really. I actually did that...

Now i have to wait even longer. BUT that does give insight to AA's blog post about it. "What? A Complete Series Box Set with a Cylon figure? More on this later. Stay tuned." Wow...that was MONTHS ago...

And playsets with minimates. I smell my AIM army posting recruiting-fliers in the local Toys R Us. This sounds really great; i can't wait for this to spread to other licenses and i get my CIC or Galactica Hallway...

TRU thought that DA was going to be the next big thing in comcis, and demanded it for SDCC?! And they think it's a fluke?! Sure, it'd be better for collectors if it was an entire wave, but it certainly isn't a fluke.

So Wolvie still isn't done. Wonderful...my TRU sold out of it's stock, but my LCS is pegwarming the hell out of this wave. Let's just hope the last spot (since we all know Barakapool's in there) is Scott. Or Emma. Or, hell, BD Logan, since HE HASN'T HAD A BD YET. And his would be the most epic of all. Huh, isn't that ironic.

DCD is a total joke. "Money?? WTF is money?! All we know are barely-articulated toys meant to be semi-poseable STATUES and other things buyers aren't interested in (Hi, we're DCD, and these are our Blammoids...)"

I was wondering about this myself. With what appears to be minimates at their most popular time...I wonder if DC is starting to feel they left the party just a bit too early.

- Paul

I hope so. And they plan to rectify a huge mistake by bringing them back rather than continuing solely with those chump lookin' Blammoids.

Wow, that sucks that they're sitting on designed Buffy and Angel sets... the perfect time to release them would've been when the Season 8 comic debuted a year or two back, since that dragged a huge number of Buffy fans into comic shops that otherwise wouldn't have stepped foot in one. Even now, when a lot of those readers are probably on subscription or buying it in trades online or at bookstores, DST could still advertise the mates in the comic. If they were up to moviemates standards with the likenesses, I think they'd sell fine.

Anyway, I guess I'm just backseat toy-company-running, but still... WANT.

Playsets - coming soon. An they will be awesome. Generic playsets will be in scale for both minimates and 3 3/4 with just some minor adjustments. They will be cardboard like game boards and will come with two minimates.

Marvel Select Deadpool - it is on a list, but not coming soon. There is two years left on the license so we will see in time.

Wolverine Origins Minimates 4 pack with gambit wraith or other major characters - not done with this line.

Dark Avengers TRU box set was a fluke cause TRU head demanded "the next big thing in comics" to sell at SDCC.

BSG complete dvd box set with exclusive minimates. He said what it was but i missed it.

A lot of retail comic shop requests for Marvel Select exclusives since the marvel legends line is dying. No plans for any large chains to carry the figures as, again, comic shops are the focus of this company.

Cool!

EDIT: Oops, apparently missed an entire page on here. :P

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

DCD is a total joke. "Money?? WTF is money?! All we know are barely-articulated toys meant to be semi-poseable STATUES and other things buyers aren't interested in (Hi, we're DCD, and these are our Blammoids...)"

IMO, With the exception of a few statues/busts, it seems that DCD is very weak product wise.

Their main selling point is their "action-figures", but DCUC is far superior.

They have 1/6th Figures, but companies like Hot Toys and Sideshow make theirs look like crap.

And Blammoids? I don't even have to explain this one....

Buffy and Angel Minimates are on a short list of mine that I don't want to see as Minimates. It was the same when people thought X-Files was going to show up (when it was really T2).

Do you mean you don't like those franchises, or like them but not as mates? Any reason in particular?

Comparing the two, I wouldn't be as interested in X-Files because it really only had two main characters, both wearing plain suits. Plus I liked the PALZ versions just fine. But Buffy/Angel have more than enough main characters for a couple 4-packs, and if they translated the likenesses well (unlike that PALZ line) they'd be great -- the characters have "costumes" of a sort, or at least some recognizable outfits/styles, like the BTTF line. And as I said, the crazy popular S8 comic means there's a current audience and an advertising venue to that audience, unlike X-Files where they finally made another movie and it tanked. Also DST already have the license/designs for the Buffymates, which means it's just production costs to put them in our hands...

Oh well, getting off topic I know! :P It was just interesting to hear about these designs gathering dust in that DST vault!

I hope they make dr. horrible minimates! now whedon needs to get on board :D

the only mates from the buffy universe I would feel the need to own would be buffy, angel and spike. and maybe xander... maybe (eyepatch variant anyone?).

and playsets! that's gonna be amazing. maybe a playset of the raft? that'd be great, all these jail cells to put villains in... but they're probably just sticking to basic cardboard from what it sound like... but I can dream :D

omg, A DANGER ROOM PLAYSET! ...sorry :X

as for the origins boxset, I wouldn't mind a civil war wolvie variant... but all four would inevitably be torn apart for custom fodder (starting with baraka's scythes.)

Buffy and Angel Minimates are on a short list of mine that I don't want to see as Minimates. It was the same when people thought X-Files was going to show up (when it was really T2).

Do you mean you don't like those franchises, or like them but not as mates? Any reason in particular?

I don't care for the franchises. But since I get everything that's been Minimatized, I'd buy them and then have more Minimates that I don't like (to join my DSS and Silence of the Lambs mates). It's the same reason I'm not too excited about Godfather mates. If it was some huge license that would attract a larger audience to Minimates in general, I'd be all for it. But I'm not sure Buffy or Angel would bring that kind of crossover audience that would then start supporting everything else.

I imagine the playsets are going to be generic, meaning we won't be seeing specifically Avengers Mansion, the Raft, the Danger Room, etc. We might see A Mansion, A Prison, or A Generic Room That You Could Put Saw Blades In Or Something Equally Dangerous On Your Own.