UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wizard World Philadelphia highlights

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about this myself. With what appears to be minimates at their most popular time...I wonder if DC is starting to feel they left the party just a bit too early.

DC Direct thinks they are the party. They are content to largely ignore the goings-on in the rest of the toy universe, and operate independently of trends, fan wishes and market conditions. And, since there's always someone who will by another 5 POA artist's rendition of Batman, it seems to work out for them.

Wow, that sucks that they're sitting on designed Buffy and Angel sets... the perfect time to release them would've been when the Season 8 comic debuted a year or two back, since that dragged a huge number of Buffy fans into comic shops that otherwise wouldn't have stepped foot in one. Even now, when a lot of those readers are probably on subscription or buying it in trades online or at bookstores, DST could still advertise the mates in the comic. If they were up to moviemates standards with the likenesses, I think they'd sell fine.

Yes, but it doesn't surprise me. Back when the Palz line ended there was questions about DST continuing the line. They said "we make minimates" and the topic to the best of my knowledge was never brought up again. Which is weird because I think Buffy stuff was still selling decently back then. A lot of the lackluster sales for the BTVS lines have been due (and this is coming from a board where the fans tried to save the line various times) to poor quality control. Lots of the Xander/Cordelia line snapped instantly, scale issues, lack of character likeness and poor selection for the remaining characters. Instead of finishing off the Angel line with main cast members like Gunn or Connor we got Kendra and Kennedy. Maybe nice additions but when you have a feeling that the line is ending it would have been nice to have a complete set of the main characters.

I would like to get After the Fall minimates. Just think of it. Angel, Spike with interchangeable vampire heads, Illyria, and

Gunn with an extra vampire head

could be the first box set.

Edited by Starlight

Although X-Files Palz had their faults to say that the series 'only had two main characters' 'wearing plain suits' is just silly . Whether you mean the show or the palZ is not clear but take 'this' to the palZ thread & I'd happily elaborate on either. ;)

But I didn't criticize X-Files Palz...? :blink: I only mentioned the line to say I liked them. Before that I was talking about the show, which does have only two main characters, who do wear suits 99% of the time -- my point being I think they would make for a kinda boring Minimates 4-pack, same as the Godfather set. Which is the same old conversation about plain clothes mates not being that interesting or eye-catching, so I didn't go into it again -- sorry if that made my post a bit confusing. No need to call me out into the street -- er, the Palz thread ;).

After all that, I'd still buy X-Files minimates of course :lol:, but I don't feel like there's a real need thanks to the Palz line having covered it -- Buffy I feel like there's more of a "need", since that Palz line sucked. They just didn't get the likenesses right, IMO anyway.

I would have thought the Buffy and Angel fanbases would be large enough to support a couple of boxsets at least. They both have large ensemble casts to pick from. I was a big fan of the Palz releases and would love to see them as Minimates.

Yes, but it doesn't surprise me. Back when the Palz line ended there was questions about DST continuing the line. They said "we make minimates" and the topic to the best of my knowledge was never brought up again.

Yeah, I can understand DST not wanting to be seen as "following up" on Palz immediately after the line ended, but outside of block figure message boards I'm not sure how many people really remember them at this point.

With line-ups, I'd love the see the Buffy set based on the first season to get the iconic versions of the main three plus Giles, whereas an Angel set I think would be much better based around the last season (Illyria would make for an awesome minimate, Spike was there, etc).

But I didn't criticize X-Files Palz...? :blink: I only mentioned the line to say I liked them. Before that I was talking about the show, which does have only two main characters, who do wear suits 99% of the time -- my point being I think they would make for a kinda boring Minimates 4-pack, same as the Godfather set. Which is the same old conversation about plain clothes mates not being that interesting or eye-catching, so I didn't go into it again -- sorry if that made my post a bit confusing. No need to call me out into the street -- er, the Palz thread ;).

After all that, I'd still buy X-Files minimates of course :lol:, but I don't feel like there's a real need thanks to the Palz line having covered it -- Buffy I feel like there's more of a "need", since that Palz line sucked. They just didn't get the likenesses right, IMO anyway.

I obviously read your post incorrectly ...my bad! ;) I loved the X-Files & I loved the X-Files palZ which had 4 different of each of the Scully & Mulder figures which is about 50 or so less than Wolverine or Spider-Man Minimate variations .

In conclusion I agree with everything you said :ohmy:

Yeah, I can understand DST not wanting to be seen as "following up" on Palz immediately after the line ended, but outside of block figure message boards I'm not sure how many people really remember them at this point.

With line-ups, I'd love the see the Buffy set based on the first season to get the iconic versions of the main three plus Giles, whereas an Angel set I think would be much better based around the last season (Illyria would make for an awesome minimate, Spike was there, etc).

Isn't the season thing what Palz tried to do? I think they were up to pre-orders for season 3 of BTVS (I remember this because they had new characters like Faith, Wesley and Anya offered) when the line ended. If they want to separate themselves from Palz a little and given the comic shops being a prime selling point, I'd think that the comics would be their first focus point before going into the seasons. Though given the things I hear about retailers not liking Max statues I guess that would mean no

Giant Dawn or Dragon Cordy

I'd love to have both comics and tv show 'mates. The four in the alley would make a nice connection between ATS and ATF though. But at this point I'd think I'd be better off making customs then waiting for these to be made. :(

I was wondering about this myself. With what appears to be minimates at their most popular time...I wonder if DC is starting to feel they left the party just a bit too early.

- Paul

I hope they are painfully aware of it, however, I have a feeling that their "powers that be" are not that intuitive. Their loss...and unfortunately ours as well. Brewer is rapidly transforming the "Distinguished Competition" into the "Dumb-ass Collective" and they Deserve to Collapse. :angry:

Edited by cdubya

Isn't the season thing what Palz tried to do? I think they were up to pre-orders for season 3 of BTVS (I remember this because they had new characters like Faith, Wesley and Anya offered) when the line ended. If they want to separate themselves from Palz a little and given the comic shops being a prime selling point, I'd think that the comics would be their first focus point before going into the seasons. Though given the things I hear about retailers not liking Max statues I guess that would mean no

Giant Dawn or Dragon Cordy

I'd love to have both comics and tv show 'mates. The four in the alley would make a nice connection between ATS and ATF though. But at this point I'd think I'd be better off making customs then waiting for these to be made. :(

I guess I just think Minimates are such a stronger brand now, and Palz are all but forgotten, so at this point there's really no need for DST to differentiate themselves from Palz at all.

But no, I didn't mean doing box sets for each season (as cool-but-implausible as that'd be!), just that if they have one Buffy and one Angel set designed, they'd likely set each in a certain time period of the series (or comics), and I think the characters would be most recognizable (in minimate form) as S1 Buffy (geeky Willow, flashy Xander, librarian Giles) and final season Angel (Illyria instead of Fred, Spike's around, bald Gunn, grizzly Wes, etc).

On the one hand I'd say don't hold your breath, on the other hand it was only a year ago we had a thread about how one lone set of Ghostbusters mates would be both great and unlikely, and now we're getting dozens of them. So who knows...

But no, I didn't mean doing box sets for each season (as cool-but-implausible as that'd be!), just that if they have one Buffy and one Angel set designed, they'd likely set each in a certain time period of the series (or comics), and I think the characters would be most recognizable (in minimate form) as S1 Buffy (geeky Willow, flashy Xander, librarian Giles) and final season Angel (Illyria instead of Fred, Spike's around, bald Gunn, grizzly Wes, etc).

On the one hand I'd say don't hold your breath, on the other hand it was only a year ago we had a thread about how one lone set of Ghostbusters mates would be both great and unlikely, and now we're getting dozens of them. So who knows...

I didn't mean to imply box set seasons outside the first set each offered just an idea of what a good starting point would be from their POV. I don't know, everyone seems to have a different idea of what is the iconic versions of the characters. Some see geeky Willow, others will say powerful near god level witch Willow. But I'd be more excited about the Angel sets.

Believe me after all the disappointing teases I've had with DST over more Jossverse figures I'm not going to believe it unless I see them in the store first. I'm already planning how to do a Fang Gang set.

I don't know, everyone seems to have a different idea of what is the iconic versions of the characters. Some see geeky Willow, others will say powerful near god level witch Willow. But I'd be more excited about the Angel sets.

Oh yeah, I'm with you on empowered Willow being way more iconic, in terms of the character. I just think I'd recognize geeky Willow more translated into Minimate form, mostly due to the bright hair/outfits. After the high school seasons, many of the characters had a more subdued/realistic fashion sense, which might make for more generic-looking mates.

Believe me after all the disappointing teases I've had with DST over more Jossverse figures I'm not going to believe it unless I see them in the store first. I'm already planning how to do a Fang Gang set.

My glimmer of hope is as small as they come! But still there, just... :)