UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Back from the dead!

Siiigh...

I was at TRU today (looking for the new Marvel wave) and saw the miniflyers along with about three full pegs of BSG mates. Ghostbusters are long gone. There's one or two T2 sets left. Marvel is turning over well. And then there are these. Just sitting there, sadly.

I really hope the BSG mates don't kill TRU's interest in Minimates in general. As a big fan of the show, I'm deeply appreciative they took the risk and helped us die-hards finish our collections. But, I hope it doesn't come at the cost of other lines in the future... hopefully TRU will look at Marvel and GB's strong sales as the primary indicator of interest.

I think that it is all subjective at best. In other words, what you are experiencing is not necessarily indicative of the sales as a whole. Granted, GB seems to be selling like wildfire (before a refresh), but at the moment in my local they have reached a pentacle of peg-warming equal to the T2 (which is over-flowing and showing no signs or future movement without a clearance). However, I just bought all four of the Mini-flyers that they had stocked. One looking at the pegs would assume that they were moving fast (compared to the flooding of T2, GB, and Marvel), but that was just one single purchase from a miniac. Geography and numbers play a huge role. We really need to get our "trade forums" cracking to level the playing field (if people are having a hard-time finding any of these).

*I did snag a Molecule Man/Spiderwoman, Angel/Warpath in addition to the Minifliers (2 each) tonight ....wheeee! :D

Edited by cdubya

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Diamond Select/Art Asylum,

I just bought one of your Mini Flyers at Toys 'R Us last night, and I encountered this as I took my Viper out of its package:

TwistieTies.jpg

DON'T

YOU

EVER

DO THIS

AGAIN!!!

I mean it. If this happens to me ever again . . . I'll find you.

Seriously.

:lol: Yeah, weren't those fun? It was like a toy and a brain-teaser all in one! And by the time you figure-out how to remove it, you'll be intrigued (or just pissed) by how they got that wire threaded in the first place (I assume it was added before they joined the two sections).

*the trick is to snip the wire close to the ship on one side and then pull it out from the other.

I can't believe that I never noticed that peg-hole on the underside that could attach to a base-stand before. While looking at your photo, I had to go get mine just to see what the heck that was. That was kind of a cool surprise (if they had only supplied a stand). B)

Saw the miniflyers in TRU yesterday and passed on them, probbly the first time I've ever passed up on something minimate I dont own!

IF anyone has a spare Hot Dog character from buying multiples they want to trade shoot me a PM :)

T.

p.s. for the most part BSG mates are pegwarming here too.

Someone bought three out of the four flyers at my local TRU, but they haven't touched the latest wave of BSG Minimates.

And following Timbo's example, if anyone has an Gold Cylon from buying multiples they want to trade shoot me a PM :)

After opening mine and throwing out the packaging I was looking at Hot Dog and realized I didn't have the gun so I had to go and pull it out of the garbage as the gun was in the bag that had the stickers. I was a little peeved that there were no instructions for where to put the stickers and I was also quite annoyed at the plastic twist ties that held the miniflyers in the package as they were a pain to get out.

I wasn't as satisfied with these as I thought I would be after opening them.

So, does anyone know where the stickers are supposed to go on the miniflyers? The ones for the console I can figure out, but even looking at some reference pictures online, I can't figure out the rest.

BTW, I really, really dig these. They are probably a little overpriced at 15 dollars (they should be around 10, max), and the twist ties are horrible, but the packaging presentation and product are A+.

BSG mates are warming the pegs around here too. I bought two sets to use as custom fodder since there were no new Marvel minimates, and I have to at least buy one set of minimates when I see them. I just can't resist. I am kinda pissed that they are all out of the Terminator minimates too. A few weeks ago they were warming the pegs and I bought two sets. I went back to buy a few more (I really want a couple sets with the SWAT guys) and they were all gone :( I'll have to check out the Madison TRU next.

I can't believe that I never noticed that peg-hole on the underside that could attach to a base-stand before. That was kind of a cool surprise (if they had only supplied a stand). B)

I just got my Viper and I'm using a Marvel Legends flight stand... Works pretty good

Maybe I've been through just a few too many "Some Assemby Required" Christmas seasons w/ kids - but that wire tie through the bottom of the toy isn't exactly new or unique to DST - and didn't prove too challenging with the miniflyers. I've learned to keep utility shears or wire nippers someplace near my desk or the kitchen for just such an eventuality.

By the way - I have an interesting question - what is it about the BSG license and mates that seems to invite all this negativity? Is this one of those love 'em or hate 'em licenses? There seems to be 2 types of posts - the "I'm really excited and can't wait to get mine" posts or the "I really don't like these, and I'm not gonna buy them, and they're clogging the pegs, and the mini-flyers suck too" posts - anyone else notice how much hate there seems to be for this license (and the fact that TRU has brought it back from the dead)

I for one am totally happy that these were made, they are probably my favorite line. The bitter taste that was left in my mouth was from all the deception about the line being cancelled, etc. I actually considered to stop collecting mates when they said they were cancelling these.

Remember when these were gonna be released as a wave 5 and 6. Then Diamond needed a deal with Toys r Us.

Toys r Us said they wanted figures that had vehicles ( I think this was said in one of the Q & A's), so I believe thats when Diamond told us all these were canceled. Then a couple months down the road they announced the deal with TrU, and told us all about them "resurrecting" the line---the rest is history.

Edited by mav-man

By the way - I have an interesting question - what is it about the BSG license and mates that seems to invite all this negativity? Is this one of those love 'em or hate 'em licenses?

I don't know if it is the license or not, but having seen the entire series and re-watching again, there seems to be a LOT of love/hate throughout the entire show. I think it is the nature of BSG in general. :D

It's not quite a love/hate thing but rather a pervading pessimism about BSG minimates in general that's overshadowing the optimism over them. Even on the outset of the line a number of very vocal people seemed doubtful it would even last.

Maybe it was the lingering animosity towards waves and waves of uninteresting-looking civilian mates. Maybe it was the Sci Fi Ghetto at work, or that thing about "serious" BSG fans not bothering with collecting Minimates. Or maybe it was the observation that DST just didn't get the same level of success with the BSG license that they did with Marvel or DC.

In any case, the fact that the line got unceremoniously cancelled certainly worsened things. And now that it's been brought back for TRU, the negative naysayers have come crawling back out too. "If BSG didn't survive last time, what would make it last this time?"

Again, if I was living in the States near a TRU I would have snapped these up in a heartbeat, me being a fan of the show and all. Sadly the overseas thing and the "me not having regular employment" thing makes it trickier for me to justify prioritizing these as far as finances are concerned. (Don't ask :()

I had a large collection of BSG 'mates & had seen the line cancelled before I had even seen an episode . My comments on BSG 'mates prior to seeing & falling in love with the show were pretty consistent .....not enough 'immediate recognition' of individual characters & a tad generic.....guys in uniform with a head-swap. I still enjoyed the BSG line however & once I'd seen the show in its entirity (within a few months) I appreciated them even more . I was amongst the most optimistic & vociferous regarding their return & even mentioned TRU being their potential saviour moments after the disclosure that the W5/6 of the original series were cancelled. When the TRU deal was announced I was pleased but reserved...."lets just hope for the best,skin jobs + few others to round things out".

Two waves into the TRU Series & I just feel that 'that' should be it & that the Vipers/Raiders 'suck'.....I am not afraid to say it although I am record as saying that I doubt that they were designed with 54 year old men in mind as their target-group :D On the plus-side the quality of these 2 waves exceed anything we had seen before in the line & if they are indeed selling well at TRU ......brilliant.....let's look forward to Wave 3!!!!

However.........if Cornerstorecomics can't shift the 90 complete sets of variant Wave 4 of BSG that have sat in their inventory at $10 a set for the last 2 months.......... "what would make it last, this time?" http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/index.cfm...;Product_ID=314

However.........if Cornerstorecomics can't shift the 90 complete sets of variant Wave 4 of BSG that have sat in their inventory at $10 a set for the last 2 months.......... "what would make it last, this time?" http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/index.cfm...;Product_ID=314

I think that has less to do with the BSG mates' popularity and more to do with all the credit card scam problems CSC has been dealing with in the last 6 (?) months...

I think that has less to do with the BSG mates' popularity and more to do with all the credit card scam problems CSC has been dealing with in the last 6 (?) months...

I don't see your logic.