UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The end is nigh? Talk amongst yourselves.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they made a handful of Pathfinder characters,  as well as Dragon's Age minimates a couple years ago.  They were great figures but I think a lot of people passed on them because Pathfinder isn't as widely known as Dungeons and Dragons outside of people who actively play.

50 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Most of the line was exclusive to a retailer as well.

I'm not an RPG player so I can't say for sure but I doubt you could convince too many to play with minimates instead of miniatures.

An RPG may not work, for exactly that point. But I’ve long held to the thought that Minimates would make a great base/gimmick for a board game of some sort. Maybe a TCG or something akin to Munchkin

As was mentioned previously, the customizable nature of the figures is a huge draw. and they could thrive off of regularly released expansions. It’s just a matter of finding the right gameplay mechanics and character/IP/theme. Maybe Battle Beasts or Calico Jack?

Art Asylum tried to get RPG going with Minimates.  I remember them offering to work with game makers to create something for Minimates, but it never appeared that anything would come of it.  The idea was to create a game where Minimates were used as game pieces that could be collected and customized.  Think Heroclix with interchangeable parts.  

I've been doing this for years with a Walking Dead-esque tabletop game I've been running, and modified the rules for Aliens.  It has its pros and cons, but overall works quite well and my players enjoy tweaking their characters by swapping out parts and gear.  For gear that I don't have a physical representation for, I bought blank playing cards and write as needed.

I'm actually part of a group that rotates in the old Marvel RPG from the 80s and we use minimates in our game, but I wasn't really talking about for RPG purposes.  I was coming from the point it's a license that is known thanks to a cartoon, movies, a current tv commercial and longevity of a game with both visually appealing and deep line of characters that could likely be more than a four figure boxset.  Fantasy figures do have a strong fanbase, MOTU, Mythic Legions, Vutruvian H.A.C.K.S do fairly well. it might seem to be a niche market to people that only collect comic or movie lines but it's there.  Most of the people I know that play RPGs do collect figures outside of the ones used for games, myself included.  It was just a thought.

That's Mattel, isn't it?

I know we all know it's never going to happen, but I'd love Star Wars minimates. Solo reminded me of why I love the property so much, and I've been much more excited about it since. DST is releasing Star Wars product now, but things don't seem like that could expand to minimates.

If DC Collectibles moving away from action figures and Mattel losing the license won't let DC minimates be made, I don't really see what could.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I know we all know it's never going to happen, but I'd love Star Wars minimates. Solo reminded me of why I love the property so much, and I've been much more excited about it since. DST is releasing Star Wars product now, but things don't seem like that could expand to minimates.

Everytime Star Wars minimates are mentioned I have a brief heart palpitation which quickly  turns into sorrow after remembering it's near impossible.

This for sure is never going to happen but an Anime/Manga license would nice. Most anime collectors have to buy very expensive import figures from our favorite series, since there is not a lot of American companies really producing them and I figure it's hard to get the licenses. But I'd love to get cheap two packs of characters from Dragon Ball, Naruto, My Hero Academia etc. Dragon Ball alone can last a while.

Edited by RedTiger95

Late to the game as usual but, if we were exploring licenses I would start with a few that DST already has like Buffy. DST rode that Buffy train for years but never took it to the minimate station and I think that there is a market for that. I am going to beat the damn TNG drum until it breaks. Especially with Picard coming back.  I would think too that the nostalgia wave that brought us TMNT and Thundercats could yield us other properties that were popular in the 80's like MASK, Silver Hawks, Jem, or my holy grail the Bionic Six as He-man may be too expensive. The youth often speak of Steven Universe, Avatar, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, and the Tick while I do love Saga and could see a wave or four from Riverdale.   

MAX and Battle Beast were my favorite lines. I also really enjoyed the Pathfinder stuff having zero knowledge of the property itself. I’d love to see them re-visit MAX and Battle Beasts, along with a deeper dive into Marvel Comics, not movies. But all of that is null and void if I can’t find them in any store they may be exclusive to.

I think the timing has been off on a lot of releases. This is not DST's fault, but it's been kinda odd. Godzilla line starts and dies before Godzilla's latest movie hits theaters. Sonic line starts and dies before Sonic movie hits theaters. It seems like there have been at least a few times that things like that could have provided a little boost. I'm sure there are other examples. Just bum luck on a few of those.

32 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

LEGO isn’t the issue. Hasbro has the action figure category cornered. 

But...Hasbro makes Marvel figures too and we have Marvel Minimates.  Or was Toy Biz still in charge of Marvel back when Marvel Minimates started and they were grandfathered in?

I can tell you for a fact that DST has been told by the Star Wars people in the past that they won't do Minimates because of Legos. Whether that's because of a licensing restriction or them deciding that they don't want to dilute their (very profitable) LSW line is not for me to say. But DST has tried, and was rebuffed, and that's why.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:38 PM, MisterMiracle said:

Or was Toy Biz still in charge of Marvel back when Marvel Minimates started and they were grandfathered in?

I believe I've read previous comments indicating that was the case with Marvel Select, pretty sure it would be the same for minimates.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:17 PM, Smashmaster12 said:

I'd be devastated if Minimates would end, but I'm happy I had the time of my life collecting over the years.

This is the best comment I've seen.

So I see Zach has been commenting on here, but nothing specifically saying that the line isn't ending, correct?

Edited by PrinceCuseCuse

5 hours ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

So I see Zach has been commenting on here, but nothing specifically saying that the line isn't ending, correct?

He has repeatedly said on this board that the line is continuing. And tbh I believe him although I am concerned about distribution, licenses, and now prices due to tariffs which will lead to a price increase but I am primed to believe we have at least 3 more waves for Marvel product.