UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blind Bag discussion!

That $5.99 price point seems a little too high for impulse buys. I figured they would be around $3.99 since two packs are $7.49. I've never bought anything that used blind bags (except maybe baseball cards. That's kinda similar, right?) but I'm willing to give them a chance. I've got nephews, cousins and family friends that are little kids that might be turned to the dark side of Minimates instead of Lego's/other mini figures if I give them my duplicates.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said some pretty tough things about blind-bags [in general] but I'm now struggling a bit to see what the problem is with what we have now gleaned from DSTZach ?

I'm stressing the 'DST' bit because without his info we would know diddly about this line .

quick edit: just seen Sam's post & it might seem as if I'm kissing his ass ..........no way sick.gif

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm sure we'll lose some collectors who dislike blind bags, but I think we'll pick up more blind bag fans/people who understand blind bags than we'll lose.

Come on Zach. This statement makes it sound like we who are against the blind bags are too dumb to understand it.

It does read as condescending.

I'm sure we'll lose some collectors who dislike blind bags, but I think we'll pick up more blind bag fans/people who understand blind bags than we'll lose.

Come on Zach. This statement makes it sound like we who are against the blind bags are too dumb to understand it.

I agree. I guess that means I don't understand blind bags.

I don't know that "us collectors" as a whole would agree with that. Any change may lead some away from a line, while bringing new collectors to it, whether it be more sculpting, different licenses, different outlets, new packaging, etc. It isn't like a company is going to survive focusing on re-releasing the same figure over and over again in the same manner in order to hold onto the handful of collectors who will revolt from any decision to do otherwise. Zach's just telling it the way it is IMO

Who suggested them re-release the same figure over and over? if anything that IS their view I think they should make new and intersting figures but I understand the need for them to always have core characters in the assorments to bring in new blood, but attracting that new customer should never come at the expense of just writing off old customers/collectors. make the best product you can to satisfy both dont rely on gimmicks and flippantly just give up on a segment of your customers.

I am thankful that Zach comes here and "gives" us info but remember its a two way street we "give" DST lots of free input and Ideas as well I just find it foolish to not take advantage of it(and before someones says" what they are supposed to make /do everything we say" no but compannies spend big bucks on focus groups here we give it for free.Its just kind of sad when the Marketing supervisor comes here and basically says this is what we are doing if you like great, if not dont let the door hit ya on the way out, we dont care because we'll bring in more people than we will lose.)anyway with all that said I like TMNT and despite the non-sculpted heads and the blind bags I will try to get a set, I just dislike the Blind bag Gimmick!.

Edited by Mattallica

I believe a lot of people didn't understand blind bags & if I've helped just one person understand the pitfalls of what I've personally encountered then I feel I've succeeded ..........others might feel that I've been condescending as well . I could give one.

edit: Could you guys type slower ! laugh.png

Edited by buttheadsmate

I didn't think it was condescending at all. Didn't Zach say from the beginning that it was going to have pretty polarized views? DST is taking chance to try and widen there product which is a good thing. I don't understand how this in anyway affects current collectors. If you want the figures you can buy blinds bags or buy the individuals you want secondhand if you are opposed to the blind bags. If you don't want the figures you don't have to worry about it.

It isn't a question of how blind bags work, but of the realistic perspective of what might happen to the customer base when any change occurs. Sounds to me like a legitimate explanation of business expectations, and not one that is really aimed at harming existing collectors in any serious way, except for the smallish group (I'm guessing) who will really not collect them simply because of the blind bags. And that would apply to any notable change. The excess sculpting often turns me off to figures/lines (like Battle Beasts), but I get the business decision, and I certainly don't feel like it's some personal slap in the face. My earlier point is that businesses have to evolve and change to maximize profit. I could see some changes totally disregarding existing collectors somehow, but don't really see how blind bags fit that description.

I didn't think it was condescending at all. Didn't Zach say from the beginning that it was going to have pretty polarized views? DST is taking chance to try and widen there product which is a good thing. I don't understand how this in anyway affects current collectors. If you want the figures you can buy blinds bags or buy the individuals you want secondhand if you are opposed to the blind bags. If you don't want the figures you don't have to worry about it.

Great post .

WARNING: Current collecting can be dangerous ........always go for DC rather than Marvel AC . Be positive out there folks .blink.png

It isn't a question of how blind bags work, but of the realistic perspective of what might happen to the customer base when any change occurs. Sounds to me like a legitimate explanation of business expectations, and not one that is really aimed at harming existing collectors in any serious way, except for the smallish group (I'm guessing) who will really not collect them simply because of the blind bags. And that would apply to any notable change. The excess sculpting often turns me off to figures/lines (like Battle Beasts), but I get the business decision, and I certainly don't feel like it's some personal slap in the face. My earlier point is that businesses have to evolve and change to maximize profit. I could see some changes totally disregarding existing collectors somehow, but don't really see how blind bags fit that description.

I agree I dont see the blind bags themselves as a disregard to collectors, its the attitude that comes along with it or any "change" in the brand if someone post their displeasure or dislike of whatever it may be they get attcked by those who like the new thing and are again basically told too bad this is what we are doing, we wont miss you if you dont like it as we will bring in so many new buyers. it seems short sighted to always chase that new customer when you have loyal repeat customers just looking to give you their hard earned cash, again make the best product you can let it speak for itself and both old and new fans will be happy.

Edited by Mattallica

I remember when I first stumbled across minimates back in the day, I hadn't seen any advertising, I didn't know anything about them or the company that produced them. there they were just hanging in a comic book store in their nice clam shell package, i could see how cool they were and just HAD to have them. I wonder what a "new" minimate buyers reaction is today. do they buy a TRU spiderman pack because they liked the movie, despite not really being able to see whats in the pack only to get it home and find mis-alligned tampos of the lack of webbing tampos on all sides of spideys legs? are they ok with it, or do they even notice?

will they Buy a TMNT blind bag or maybe a half dozen only to find they get multiple duplicates? are they ok with that or does it turn them off the entire brand?

Panglossian posts or don't post at all Mattallica.

Thanks Brother, I forgot THEY see everything.

01-My-pet-goat_zps0020dacc.jpg

Everything is Awesome!

Edited by Mattallica

I have to admit this may kill my collecting, at I've done minimates from the start because they reminded of the pocket heros as when i was a kid and now i'm 40+ years old. I have the main marvel stuff and have tryed to keep up with the other lines (thanks Winkerbean (I dont think you get the credit for keeping us addicts going in the darker times)) Luke is the god send as a fan and a shop. TRU and their major crappy ordering was the first nail that put me down but If blind bags have major charcters and I cant get em i would have to say Smurf it

I love Minimates but I'm not going to Kubrick nuts over them

I've been refraining to get too involved in these discussions, but oh well here I go anyway.

Given a choice, as a collector, I would definitely prefer NOT to have blind bags.

That said, I understand why, from a business point of view, DST would go with the blind bag route. Larger distribution and a potential to attract new customers with the "gambling" aspect. I've said before I also like to buy the occasional blind bag of some random line just to see what I get. In the long run, if this manages to increase the customer base for minimates, it *should* be good for all of us.

And, having said *that*, this absolutely affects current collectors, unless you can guarantee me a way to get a set of 8 TMNT mates at the price of four standard 2-packs that I can preorder from online retailers (e.g., Luke's, BBTS). Yes, I *can* get a complete set of blind-bagged minimates, but it will definitely cost me significantly more money/time, and that is why I'd prefer not to have blind bags.

And, having said *that* I will accept blind bags as a necessary evil if it means more minimates that would not otherwise have been made.

Try to keep in mind that DST was reluctant to offer blind bags. It's the retailer dangling the carrot. I can't blame DST for trying to broaden the market.

If you don't want the figures you don't have to worry about it.

Yet. And I think that's what concerns collectors opposed to this packaging; a change in the status quo away from window boxes and blisters toward more expensive blind bags.

And if you're is a completist, you're spending more than $5.99 per pack because you're probably spending $108.00 for a case of 18. That amounts to 8 (?) different figures you're keeping meaning you just spent $13.50 on them because the rest are so common they're worthless. And as a completist, you're not going to want to put the rarest one up for sale to mitigate the costs.

Assuming this does work out, what about Series 2? Would that include all new figures or would retailers insist that the main characters stay in the assortment?

For me, it's really a cost issue. Sounds like there are 9 unique minimates in an 18 figure case. That's 9 duplicates(ratio unknown) at $6 each. $54 worth of figures I won't want. However, outside of uncanny luck, the only way to guarantee getting the 9 unique figures is either buy a case, or buy them on the secondary market at a markup. Being cost effective, ie: cheap, and selective, is the only way I can continue to indulge this hobby. Real world expenses and family takes priority.

And for anyone who thinks $54 isn't so bad, just remember this - this is only wave 1. When the property is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and there is a risk involved with retailer investment, you'd better believe there will be more waves. By wave 4, a person would conceivably spent $432 on minimates just to get the $216 worth they actually wanted. In minimate terms, that extra $216 would buy you 27 2-packs of minimates.

8 unique Minimates .

Do we know exactly how many "unique" 'mates are going to be in each case of 18? Did Zach say 8 unique characters or am I making that up?

You read it ......I think the words were 7 or 8 .

edit : "more like 8 figures" Zach

I just can't see that these will be on sale for more than $4-5 despite what I'm hearing is the recommended price.

$90? a case which will include one full chase set of 8 ($40+?) & 10 spares ......

So are the 10 spares the problem ? If they are.... why... if we don't even know what the characters are yet ?!

So are the 10 spares the problem ? If they are.... why... if we don't even know what the characters are yet ?!

It's blind bags. But we are not blind-bagging Marvel. Not now, anyway, and if we ever did, it would probably be well-known characters, for the most part. No, the line we're blind-bagging is going to be blind-bagged from the start, it will be in far more outlets, and each case will contain a full set plus multiples of the main characters. There will be one-per-case figures, but they will be variants on main characters who are already in the assortment.

How many duplicates of Turtles do you want?

Like BHM, my guess is these won't sell at $6 a pop when all is said and done. I'm not sure they can, to a mass kind of audience. In my own mind, some kind of vaguely defined threshold is crossed.

I actually quite like the nonsculpted heads. They look better than any Battle Beast, imo. I'm actually relieved that TMNT is the blind bag line. I wanted the 4 turtles, but I wasn't planning on going crazy for this line. I was planning to pick up sets for my son, who loves TMNT. So now while I certainly won't be collecting the line, if he wants to grab a bag or two, he can. The price point seems pretty high though. I can't really see a blind bag 2-inch toy flying off the shelves at $6 a pop. I don't know for certain, but it seems like LEGOs and KREOs are are in the $3-4 range, which seems more reasonable.

Anyway, despite my dislike (lack of understanding?) for blind bags, I don't feel particularly slighted by DST here. It's a new line with a different target audience. If this were Marvel, I'd be done, but I'm not upset about this.