UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

So for us to skip a movie assortment in favor of a comic assortment would, unfortunately, hurt the line unnecessarily. But more movies doesn't necessarily mean that we have the production capability -- or retailers have the budget and display space -- to accommodate more waves overall. Not every year will be like this one, but I think we've done some cool stuff for comic fans this year, starting with 54 (Classic Marvel), plus the three other box sets we have coming up (X-Force, Villain Zombies and Deadly Foes - thanks, Luke!), plus Series 59, which I think will grow on people.And we have a tooling budget for the year. Some sets/assortments require more tooling, some require less, but it tends to even out... usually. But when you have a best of it.I personally think the extra length on Wolverine's coat is just enough to make it slightly more dramatic, and in a good way -- it looks good to me.

Thank you for the candor, Zach. But I have to say that my worst fears for the line were pretty much confirmed. The fact that DST took chances on collector driven characters and were committed to a comprehensive execution of the Marvel Universe was what convinced me to get out of all of my other toy collections and be a full time Minimate collector. Now, while I understand that releasing the same stuff over and over and not being as concerned with accuracy is a safer bet financially, it's pretty underwhelming for me as a collector and a customer.

To me, the heart and soul of Minimates as a line was the fact that it catered to the people that read the comics and appreciated the healthy selection of both obscure and mainstream characters. Now it feels like buying from Hasbro or Mattel. To put it in musical terms, DST used to feel like a somewhat mainstream radio channel that had nice late night shows that focused on indie music or world music or other niche areas of interest. Now they've replaced those shows with more of the same Top 40 songs that you can hear on any other station.

TBF I don't know if DST was ever committed to an expansive Marvel Universe. They've always been fairly pragmatic about who they release, and this set is really more in keeping with past con exclusives (based on a well known comic storyline, tied to a movie that's out that summer). Alpha Flight is really more of the outlier. I was hoping that, by the same logic, we'd get a comic Guardians of the Galaxy set, but it was not to be.

I do worry a bit about where the place is for the also-rans in the future. DST had to find ways to get the big guns into their specialty waves a few years ago, to ensure that skeptical comic book shop owners to buy in. But that was okay, because TRU would take pretty much anyone. But now TRU appears to be shifting, and that means... what? Hopefully box sets will still be a place for new, more obscure characters. Just probably not at conventions.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolverine will not have a holster, he has a box-like leg attachment, last seen on I think Green Goblin. Gun was rejected in approvals, so we swapped out the empty holster. Wolvie with a badge on his coat would definitely have been rejected.

And we offer movie lines to retailers in advance of the movies, regardless of when they ultimately come out. (We always aim for opening weekend.) A supplementary movie X-Men set would have been offered after the film hit, but we would have started developing it far before we knew what the public reaction would be. It would be unfortunate to have a set ready for SDCC, then see the movie bomb. Of course, it would be unfortunate for the regular line, too, but at least there we have distribution in place, so we can get the product in front of people.

The comic is timeless, and it is a comic convention after all.

Edited by DSTZach

Wolverine will not have a holster, he has a box-like leg attachment, last seen on I think Green Goblin. Gun was rejected in approvals, so we swapped out the empty holster.........

Odd, I assume you mean rejected by Marvel, so wolverine can hack and slash people but he cant shoot them?

If I had one of those Ricks, and I don't, but if I did, I would probably try to dremel off that badge and nameplate and use it for Wolvie.

Wolverine will not have a holster, he has a box-like leg attachment, last seen on I think Green Goblin. Gun was rejected in approvals, so we swapped out the empty holster.........

Odd, I assume you mean rejected by Marvel, so wolverine can hack and slash people but he cant shoot them?

Word has it that Marvel rejected the gun in favour of a dremel .

Man, what is with the hate-on for B&W figures?

I can't speak for everyone but I'm just not a fan. I prefer toys that have bright colors instead of black and white. I liked the Universal Monsters line but didn't buy a single B&W set. I'm a huge Sin City fan but I won't be buying any of the Minimates.

Let's not forget that these are San Diego Comic-Con Convention Exclusives. I think that over the past years, DST has done a great job pumping out exclusives for this Con that were all around great sets. You had obscure teams and figures for collectors like us, and familiar faces for the general public. The sets (mostly) satisfied all needs/wants. But I think a variety of factors have led to the sets we are getting this year.

1. The lack of other distributors: In past years, other retailers have had sets exclusive to their booth (AFX, TRU, etc.), This year, it is only DST, and that limits the market potential.

2. A more mainstream Con: As mentioned above, Comic-Con is no longer a small comic show. There is a much wider audience of more casual "Fans" and "Geeks".

3. Playing to these masses: With that being said, DST probably had to think very carefully about these sets. The DOFP set is smart from a business sense. No one knew how the film would turn out, and given the history of the franchise this film could very easily have been a disaster. DST probably saw this and did not want to gamble on a movie-based potential shelf warmers. On the flip side, almost any "Comic Fan" knows the DOFP cover and are somewhat familiar with the story. Make a comic set based on the story that the movie is adapted from was a Win-Win for DST. If the movie bombed, you'd still have 'Mates based on a fun comic. If the movie is a hit (Which it is) then you have a box set that will probably sell well to the average "Comic Fan" that saw the film and knows the comic.

4. Reused and Recycled: Ok, this one is tough. Now before you string me up by my feet for defending DST's decisions here, hear me out. I've said my piece on the DOFP boxed set: I like the set because I don't have three out of the four characters in those versions, and I do understand the frustration with the coat on Wolverine. But in order to truly understand why I am ok with this and TWD B&W set, take a look at past SDCC exclusives from OTHER companies. A good lot of the exclusives are repainted versions of others figures, and in some cases are exactly the same but in different packaging. I think we've been spoiled by DST with cool, obscure figures in the past. This year, DST chose to join the crowd with some parts reuse in DOFP and variations in TWD set.

With all that being said, I am still really looking forward to these and all future 'Mates!

-CBMM1

Edited by CBMM1

Parts reuse/recycling is a completely different animal for Minimates since, you know, every 'mate has the same base body. There does not appear to be a single new piece in this set. And that's ok. There doesn't need to be a new piece in this set. All of these characters and all of these looks work fine with existing parts. My only complaint is that that Wolverine's jacket could have been repurposed from a better part. This jacket comes to mind first, but others would do fine too. The thing is DST reused a part that just wasn't the best fit for the part, and it does look lazy. For me it's no deal breaker by any means. The look is still identifiable, but knowing that DST could have done better with another part, that's what gets me. That said, I still like this set and will be more than happy to buy it.