UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I know this guy who might be going to C2E2.....

He's got a long way to travel if he goes & he wants some advice ........

He wants to see the show & his mates but he needs to justify (to himself) more than 3 days ,so should he have some time in Chicago before or after the show ?

Is it more likely that accomm. will be more or less available/expensive before or after the Con.? NOTE EDIT.

Does he stay in Chicago or does he split & go somewhere else before/after the show ? Where ?

He reckons the weather should be similar to UK ...is that right?

Must see ......what ? Must avoid ?

Not looking or hinting for anything from anyone....just advice please.

Forgive the post & its self -centricity (?) but WTF else do I ask ?

EDIT: ACCOMM. FOR 25th & 26th . IS ALREADY BOOKED.

Thanks.

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! It will be great to see you again, Rob!

I think Chicago is always an expensive city to stay in. There's a lot of stuff to see there, but there's a lot of stuff to see in other places near there, too. St Louis is a fun city that's an hour flight or a couple hours drive away… or you could venture north into Canada.

The greasy dive that they based the "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger" sketch from Saturday Night Live on is in Chicago, although the original one is not near the convention center.

www.billygoattavern.com

Just a greasy spoon, with a highly limited menu, but a part of comedy history. Plus it's on a sublevel street, not sure what the real name of them is, where they filmed those underground parts of the new Batman films. Kinda cool. I'm not from Chicago, and I get a kick out of going down there.

I have not visited the museums there, but I love Seurat's "Sunday on La Grand Jatte," and have always wanted to do the museum tour from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Also, pizza. I forget the name of the chain we always go to, but the deep dish is decadent.

Chicago is a great city. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed to only be going for a few days, but I've just started a new job and haven't accrued any vacation time yet.

I have not been to the Field Museum in many, many years, but I do recommend checking out the Art Institute, if you like, y'know, art. The collection is amazing. And, if you have ever wanted to go to a baseball game in your life, Wrigley Field is the one place you should do it in (yes, ahead of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium).

Chicago is a great city. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed to only be going for a few days, but I've just started a new job and haven't accrued any vacation time yet.

I have not been to the Field Museum in many, many years, but I do recommend checking out the Art Institute, if you like, y'know, art. The collection is amazing. And, if you have ever wanted to go to a baseball game in your life, Wrigley Field is the one place you should do it in (yes, ahead of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium).

I haven't been to Wrigley Field since I was 11, but I loved it then, and I'm sure it would be just as much fun as an adult. It just has that classic baseball feel that you don't get from some stadiums.

Use to live in south bend, I have been to c^2e^2 for the first three years it was going its a very good show to say the s

Least, me and my pals would take the south shore in, and stay at the Palmer house. Ditkas has amazing food! Pippens was my favorite bar in downtown chi!

You'll have a blast!

I've visited Saugatuck, off-season, and it was very nice.

If you decide to journey to New York City, for any reason, I would like to buy you lunch.

I'd very much like that .Thanks for the offer thumbsup.gif

I've actually been toying with the idea of arriving & leaving from NY . The UK-NY flights are cheaper than UK-Chicago O'H but I'd obviously need to get from NY to Chicago & back ,flying seems relatively cheap /quick though .

My thanks to everybody for the advice & keep it coming .

You really need a full day there, but as a history buff, the Field Museum is one of the best. The Shedd Aquarium is near by. All of this is really walking distance (IMO) from the Essex. Chicago is just a train ride from many other cities... If you don't go to Chicago for this Con, you may find a hole in your collection. Maybe...

I have a three day pass & I'll be staying at the Essex on the night of the 25th & 26th (twin) which leaves me with an initial problem (not insurmountable) because it looks like I'll have to arrive on the 24th because most flights that I'm looking at arrive late afternoon at O'Hare .

The Essex seems fairly flexible (?) so I'm hoping to just blast in & get a room for the night of the 24th as well & go from there ..........does that sound feasible ? How do these places work these days ?

I've been checking out the trains & pricing ........& unless I'm looking on the wrong sites ohmy.png

As for holes in collections ........blackmail works both ways biggrin.png