UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I know this guy who might be going to C2E2.....

Lobsterman, you should be fine with public transportation. The route you will be taking will not be scary at all.

What hotel are you going to from the airport?

Here's directions on how to get to McCormick Place from Midway Aiport via public transit.

- At Midway Airport, get on the Orange Line "L" Train. After you leave the terminal at the airport, look for easy to spot signs saying either "CTA Trains" or "Trains to City" and they will direct you on how to get to the Orange Line. (Midway airport is the very last stop on the orange line, so get on any train that is leaving. They are all going to go the same direction for you)

- Once riding the Orange Line, you are going to get off at the Roosevelt stop.

- When you walk down the stairs to exist the train stop, you will go out onto Roosevelt Rd. Head East for a block and a half until you reach Michigan Ave. (If you see a park up ahead, you are going the right direction. If you cross a bridge and see Target, turn around)

- The #3 Bus, which runs right along Michigan, will take you directly to McCormick Place. Just take a south bound bus.

If you let me know what hotel you are staying at, I can quickly give you an adjusted route to get you safely to your hotel instead.

Edited by delta chameleon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have two options, both start with you taking the Orange Line to Roosevelt. From there, you can either transfer to another train or walk the rest of the way.

To transfer:

- First, take the Orange Line as I described earlier, and get off at Roosevelt

- Now you are going to want to transfer to the Red Line headed towards Howard. When you get off of the Orange Line, you will go down some stairs to the first floor. You'll see another set of stairs going down to the underground level. You will follow those stairs, through a tunnel and down a few more stairs to get to the Red Line stop, which is a Subway.

- While on the Red Line, get off on the very next stop, which is Harrison.

- When you leave that red line stop, and walk up to street level, you will be on State Street, but Harrison will be right in front of you. Head east on Harrison for a block and a half, and your hotel will be right there for you.

Instead of taking time to transfer to the Red Line, you could also just walk the last portion of it. When you get off the Orange Line at Roosevelt, you will be about 5 blocks away for your hotel.

- Take the Orange Line train, and get off at Roosevelt.

- To walk there, completely exit the Roosevelt stop, which will put you on Roosevelt.

- Walk East about half a block until you hit Wabash Ave. Head north on Wabash (Left).

- You will walk on Wabash for 5 blocks until you hit Harrison St. Head east on Harrison (Right) and your hotel will be right there on your right hand side.

Either option will be just fine. Once you get off of the Orange Line at Roosevelt, that entire area between Roosevelt and your hotel is full of different college school buildings, as there are 3 different colleges right in that area (Columbia College, which I work for, Roosevelt University and DePaul loop Campus). So the area is primarily hipster college art students, which can be scary in their own right. But certainly not threatening.

Thanks for the advice, guys. That will be invaluable.

So there's a shuttle running from the Essex to McCormick Place? That may negate the need to a three day PT pass. I think I'm flying into O'Haire on Friday morning, but I can't remember which airport I'm flying in/out of (I booked a deal on Expedia for air and lodging). So there aren't shuttles from the airport to the hotel, right? That's good to know. I can confirm, as a non-Chicagoian, that it's a pretty easy PT system to navigate.

Thanks for the advice, guys. That will be invaluable.

So there's a shuttle running from the Essex to McCormick Place? That may negate the need to a three day PT pass. I think I'm flying into O'Haire on Friday morning, but I can't remember which airport I'm flying in/out of (I booked a deal on Expedia for air and lodging). So there aren't shuttles from the airport to the hotel, right? That's good to know. I can confirm, as a non-Chicagoian, that it's a pretty easy PT system to navigate.

Truly scary..scarey ...post.

You think (?) you are flying into O'Hare ( No 'I' ) on Friday . ermm.gif

You can't remember which airport you're flying in/out of......? unsure.png

Hey! I'm going to be in Evanston. (excited) Is there a tram or rail or something? Or how about at the very least cheap parking near the con? Last time I was shocked at the price of parking. In Houston parking is free, or at worst $5. $20 parking blew me away.

Hey! I'm going to be in Evanston. (excited) Is there a tram or rail or something? Or how about at the very least cheap parking near the con? Last time I was shocked at the price of parking. In Houston parking is free, or at worst $5. $20 parking blew me away.

Yep! You would want to take the Purple Line (it is an "L" train). There are several stops for the Purple Line in Evanston, including South Boulevard, Main, Dempster, Davis, Foster, Noyes and Central. I am sure you will be able to find one very close to wherever you are staying. You would want to take the train south, towards "Howard."

You will ride the train until you get to the stop "Howard." Normally this is the last stop on this line. (It runs further during rush hour commuting times on weekdays, but since this is for the convention that is mostly the weekend, I didn't think it would apply to you)

At Howard, you will transfer to the Red Line, headed south towards "95th street."

After riding the red line for about 25-30 minutes, get off at Roosevelt and completely leave the station. (When you head up the stairs, go down the tunnel to the left, instead of going through the turnstiles. That will take you to the Roosevelt St exit) That will put you out onto Roosevelt St.

Head east on Roosevelt for about a block and a half until you get to Michigan Ave. (You should see a large park ahead as you walk East on Roosevelt)

On Michigan, you will want to walk south 1 block to spot a Bus Stop on the southwest corner of Michigan and 13th street.

Take the #3 Bus (King Drive) south towards "McCormick Place."

Obviously, get off at McCormick Place. It will be pretty obvious.

Edited by delta chameleon

Cool. Thanks so much, Delta. Would it be cheaper/easier to drive? I have NO experience with public transportation whatsoever.

It depends on how many days you are going to be here, and going to the convention. Chicago's public transit system is pretty good, while driving around Chicago is terrible.

One way rides on the "L" cost $2.25, plus a $0.25 transfer onto the #3 bus will get you to McCormick Place (So about $5.00 round trip)

However, if you are doing multiple days, you can get an unlimited 3 day CTA pass for $20, which will allow you to take unlimited rides on CTA trains and buses.

For me personally, I try to use public transportation whenever possible. I hate driving in Chicago, and try to avoid it if at all possible. Sometimes, public transportation can take a little bit longer to get somewhere, depending on your route and what time of day you are traveling, but for me, I think public transit is the way to go. Especially with big stuff like McCormick Place that has a bus that goes right to it.

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be filming
the DST Minimates panel this Saturday at C2E2. I then plan on having it up on the boards, ready to watch either
late Saturday night or Sunday evening. When I do have the video ready to go, I
will make a new thread in the Crisis of Infinite Minimates section of the
board. The thread will be titled “C2E2 DST Minimates Panel Video.”

Delta

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be filming

the DST Minimates panel this Saturday at C2E2. I then plan on having it up on the boards, ready to watch either

late Saturday night or Sunday evening. When I do have the video ready to go, I

will make a new thread in the Crisis of Infinite Minimates section of the

board. The thread will be titled C2E2 DST Minimates Panel Video.

Delta

That's awesome, thank you so much for doing this and thanks to DST for allowing the panel to be filmed Edited by Santos L Halper