UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor 2 coming Nov 2013, Will we get minimates?

monkeycrumb

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darcy's the variant, isn't she? Man, a whole case will only net me one laptop. confused.gif

Unless Selvig also comes with one?

Just order a custom case from Luke.

Unfortunately, that would require paying up front. My LCS orders them for me, and I can pick them up at my leisure (or affordability). unsure.png

Just got back from seeing the film and its fantastic. love the fact the earth parts of the story were set in London.

How we are getting Selvig & Darcy over Kurse (he's amazing) and Jane is disappointing although Stone Henge Selvig would have been interesting & it should be possible to make a pre Kurse Kurse quick custom.

Edited by winkerbean

I also, just got back from seeing the movie. It far exceeded my expectations and now I'm even more excited for this wave.

Zach, has the ship date changed? Is it still coming out November?

I really wish DST would consider revisiting certain movies to finish off key characters and maybe offer improved/enhanced versions of the requisite anchor characters. I'm pretty sure a 4-pack of The Warriors Three and an alternate Thor would sell fine, as would a complementary set of Kurse, Odin, Frigga, and alternate Loki.

Given how long it takes to get references from the studio, maybe DST (and Hasbro, for that matter) should consider pre- and post-movie release offerings instead of trying to cram ALL of their product into the same merchandising mosh pit as every other licensee.

DST probably only gets rights for a year, just long enough to develop the product and get it to market, followed by a sell-off period of excess inventory (if any) toward the end of the agreement. I'm just guessing.

Obviously the longer the agreement, the more a licensee has to pay but it's not like they just can't. I'm just suggesting that given how long it takes Marvel to get movie references to licensees, DST could argue for a short extension (three months?) without having to pay a higher guarantee. I'm pretty sure Marvel would appreciate the appeal of a Kurse figure over that of another Selvig.

Besides, it's getting to the point (especially under the Disney umbrella) that the home video release is almost as big a deal as the feature film, at least in terms of marketing. So tie the mass market (TRU) assortment to the movie and tie the specialty (LCS) assortment to the home video.

It's too bad DST can't treat the whole MCU as an evergreen blanket line similar to Star Wars.

I'd argue that Hasbro and Marvel already view the Iron Man movie property as an evergreen. In fact, Marvel had a licensing program called Iron Man: The Armored Avenger to bridge the second and third movies. There's no reason why DST couldn't offer more Iron Man product from the movies. (Armored Whiplash, Extremis Pepper, etc.) I'm sure Marvel would cash those checks.

The question is if there's enough demand for such product. I think Iron Man's a safe bet. Thor? Not outside a movie year.

I don't know how the movie licenses are handled, exactly, but I believe we are limited, yes. We only put out one assortment per film, with TRU support if at all possible, because we've seen that the movie release is the time when sell-through is at its peak. I imagine that if we felt that extending the license and creating more tooling for a second assortment or box set was worthwhile -- say, if TRU was interested -- we might do it. But if we're doing it without TRU, it's an entirely different story. The sales numbers aren't high enough to justify the added expense.

And I believe these hit end of the month. No, the irony is not lost on me.

$10 says Thor 2 LCS wave hits before TRU's Wolverine Wave! sleep.png

Amen.

1395246_655393541171573_1056126638_n.jpg

After seeing the movie, these minimates are looking waaaaay better.

after seeing the film, I am DEFINITELY buying these mates, I was already going to buy Loki and Heimdall but now Im sold on the Dark Elves, but seeing the movie makes me SO SAD that we arent getting more

Frigga, Kurse, Fandral, Hogun, Aither Malekith, Asgard wardrobe Jane, Prison Loki, Marauders, Stone Man, Kursed Elves, caped Sif, poncho Thor, Borr, updates to Volstagg, Odin, and the Asgardian soldiers, and Algrim pre-Kurse Marauder armor all need mates :P

Zach, I gotta ask a question. Something that never really hit me before. As someone involved in the production process of items based on a movie, do you find you are often the recipient of story spoilers? I appreciate the spoiler alerts in the video you did about the Thor 2 Minimates, but thats where I realized that some films might get a bit ruined for a guy like you. I suppose you'd need to know certain story critical details well before the film is released if the product is to timely make retail.