UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

10th Anniversary Minimate Interview

I'm barely a 1/3 through it yet, but lots of interesting bits and pieces. They mentioned that the 3" molds are probably lost, lots of debate on how many Minimates have ever been produced.

Huh, that's funny. Around the 38:50 mark, Chuck explains how group of characters like Alpha Flight can become a 4-pack, a 2-pack for specialty stores, and a 2-pack for TRU. What an odd example to use...

54:00 - Zach gives a shout out to the Minimate Multiverse, Minimate Headquarters, Minimate Central and Minimate Database. No mention of Luke - yet....

Edited by boyd

Random but important:

3" 'mates highly unlikely to be produced again ....tooling knackered.

Turnaround times much quicker these days.

Minimalism high priority in the early days.

Marvel was the turning point for the company.

Goth Girl probably the rarest 'mate....probably.

Minimates don't suffer from character likeness .....no nose being the crucial point....no need for approval.

Since 2006 there have been 1400 Minimates designed ,some may not have reached production.....probably 200 prior to 2006.

C3 hugely expensive to produce.

TRU influential in the BSG vehicle production.

late edit : Goth Girl described as 'most obscurest Minimate' ...sorry if I misled.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Minimates appeal to kids & adults.

Cross-pollenation is a DST marketing policy...some Marvel teams (e.g.)can only be bought from multiple stores ,TRU stores etc. ,this is done on purpose .

Squirrel-Girl mentioned as an example of a figure that might not sell too well at a Specialty store. Honestly

Kickstarter project still in the wind & obscure (to me) short-run characters may well be produced ....very unique,very rare .

Board games,video games,CCGs,minimate animation & video games are all future visions for DST.....esp. revolving around Battle Beasts.

MMMV,MMHQ,Central & MMMD all mentioned.....debate over how many Minimates produced ......1298 ....650 Marvel Characters....joke about 400 of them being Spider-Man :biggrin:

Max Zombies led directly to Walking Dead licence .....Max Zombies retired for forseeable future .

Battle Beasts Minimates first step in BB brand....perhaps games ,T-shirts etc.

Ah, yeah, you're right, TM2. My bad. I always lump Goth Girl and Duff together in my head as "the oddities I never cared much about owning".

Duff was initially mentioned as being rarest ....then Goth Girl was agreed upon.

Squirrel-Girl mentioned as an example of a figure that might not sell too well at a Specialty store.

Well, if she can't sell at a specialty store in their minds, then I don't imagine we'll see her. Seems that specialty stores would be the place most likely to have less mainstream characters, no?

Chuck explains how group of characters like Alpha Flight can become a 4-pack, a 2-pack for specialty stores, and a 2-pack for TRU. What an odd example to use...

Wow.

So I guess we can safely consider Alpha Flight a lock at this point? Unless, you know, the world blows up?

Big discussion about Gold Spidey .....50 again quoted ,Digger mentioning the recent sale on ebay of one for $3000 .

Comic Con give-away perhaps unlikely.

Corporate promotional Minimates always likely if the right company came in .

bhm's impression ONLYWe won't be seeing anymore FCBD Minimates :sad:

'Rarest Minimate Ever is a wonderful story' that you really need to hear for yourself (92 minutes).

Chuck admits that Hulkbuster (Robert's favourite Minimate I think) shouldn't have been a short-packed TRU (lightheartedly)

DST's Zombie Minimate nightmares :lol:

The end.....anbsolutely superb & well worth listening to . If I've got something wrong my apologies but I'm a farmer not a scribe.

Wonderful stuff. :thumbsup:

I have to think they meant rarest to be sold.

'Most obscurest'.....my apologies :blush:

Squirrel Girl is about as likely as the next wave of DC Minimates.

I thought he said "might not sell well." Maybe we can peg her odds with MODOK's?... :whistling:

Squirrel Girl was actually used as an example of what might not get into an AFX box set .

Squirrel Girl is about as likely as the next wave of DC Minimates.

I thought he said "might not sell well." Maybe we can peg her odds with MODOK's?... :whistling:

Squirrel Girl was actually used as an example of what might not get into an AFX box set .

Did Chuck turn and look directly at the camera and say "are you listening Groundhog? I'm talking to you specifically. You will never, ever get a Squirrel Girl Minimate. Ever. So just stop, because you're embarrassing both of us." :lol:

Thanks for filtering through all of this Rob.

It doesn't sound like Chuck is telling me no-he's just narrowing down how she'll be released. If anything, for him to single her out is a good sign that the message has at least been heard. It would seem I need to send more squirrel shaped cookies.

As someone who sets his stall at being correct & precise ...I failed miserably at listening & notating at the same time ,a lesson learned.

Like Boyd said Digger seems to be plugging his idea for short-run exclusive Minimates but... & maybe I'm wrong.....I perhaps detected a slight touch of reticence from Chuck & co.? I picked up on it especially because of my views on extreme exclusivity ......worrying IMO.

They also mentioned that creating a child sized minimate (for the Walking Dead) will likely NEVER happen. Guess we can kiss Carl goodbye. That or we'll get an adult size version of him with those adorable slipper feet. <_<

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Squirrel-Girl mentioned as an example of a figure that might not sell too well at a Specialty store.
Well, if she can't sell at a specialty store in their minds, then I don't imagine we'll see her. Seems that specialty stores would be the place most likely to have less mainstream characters, no?

Except that it has been mentioned that the guy they deal with at TRU is a big Marvel fan. And it seems we have gotten a few less-than-mainstream characters through them (90's Boomer, 80's Psylocke (x2), Union Jack, LockJaw, Jigsaw, Blind Hawkeye, Molecule Man, Klaw, Balder, etc . . .).

Maybe SG is the kind of character that they could get into TRU with another big name?

Squirrel Girl is pretty popular though, isn't she? I'm not a fan of the character, but a lot of people here are, so it would still be cool to have a Minimate of her. She could come with an updated Luke Cage or Jessica Jones, and include Danielle Cage as an accessory.