UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

10th Anniversary Minimate Interview

They also mentioned that creating a child sized minimate (for the Walking Dead) will likely NEVER happen. Guess we can kiss Carl goodbye. That or we'll get an adult size version of him with those adorable slipper feet. <_<

That's a shame, especially as the tooling costs could be recouped amd reused for smaller characters in the future.

Guess I'll be buying 2 Carl's when/if they release him.

One to keep and one to trim down.

I got to listen to this at work yesterday. I was very impressed with it, it was nice all the way around. I think Minimates are finally hitting their stride, where they were always intended to be, but where no one thought they'd go.

The straight 2" bodies are something I can understand. it's a play-a-bility factor. If I can't interchange with the 2.5" bodies, why would they make a 1.5" for Carl?

Also, I mean this without malice or offense, but Digger does not strike me as a person I'd wish to emulate. he seems rather unstable, one idea right after another, none that pay out for him. If he's happy, good for him. Its just the impression I got though. He reminds me of Ed Wood when he played Hades on Hercules. Instead, I'd much rather be like Zach, doing something he loves with a steady income.

Board games,video games,CCGs,minimate animation & video games are all future visions for DST.....esp. revolving around Battle Beasts.

I re read that post and I noticed the video game part. I asked that in an ask DST and they said that they considered video games,they are kinda expensive and they are not sure if they would sell well they said. Well,from my point of view minimates are getting more popular day by day. A video game wouldn't be a bad idea. Lego releases games every year. And with dst's properties they have an advantage over the other games. Release a marvel game and you are all set. Then make a bb ala Pokemon game and before you know it you will become like Lego. That's wishfull thinking but who knows? When I first got into minimates there were only two or three lines(marvel,dc and maybe something else) and look at them now(marvel,halo,tomb raider,BB,mvc3,sfxtekken,walking dead)The future holds a lot for us.

Just finished the audio interview. Great questions from Dan, we were fortunate to have an interviewer with such a good background in Minimates. This was a truly fascinating discussion and really dove into some of the details of Minimates history. I'm glad Adam was credited too as he did a tremendous amount in the early years.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the streamlining of the manufacturing process put in place by Robert. They've really honed the production process. It sounds like the brand is healthy and the powers in charge are happy with the overall direction of the line. I love it that we are part of a rabid fan base that keeps Minimates going!

It was so awesome to hear about Barry. His zombie story cracked me up. But how did Digger get past Homeland Security? And he's here in Los Angeles to boot. Meltdown is awesome but I don't recall ever finding any Minimates there. They do have some nice kiosks/displays for other indy properties but I wonder if manufacturers had to pay for the retail space to advertise.