UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Baghead's junk and stuff

No, you didn't miss it. The creators were deliberately murky about exactly what the Batman's Penguin hench girls were. The Batman, as a show, got better the longer it ran. The first year is really shaky, and the third year with just Batgirl is downright painful in spots. But the did a few things I liked better than my beloved ADCU, and one of the main one's was their version of Penguin. And I really like you interpretation of the girls.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Would be very interested!

What do you use to make the figs? I want to start casting some stuff, and have ideas for molds, but no idea for the plastic

well for clear I use EasyCast (other clear resins are a pain to use and one I tried was REALLY toxic, I threw it away after one failed mold, this one seems to be targeted at scrap bookers and costume jewelry makers rather then industrial workers), it can be obtained easily if you have a good craft store nearby or a TAP Plastic, which if you do have a TAP "TAP Silicone RTV" is my favorite molding silicone, and their house brand of resin (TAP QuickCast) is much nicer in my opinion then Alumilite.

If TAP is not an option, www.sculpt.com carries EasyCast, in place of the TAP brand silicone use Plastil 17-20 (found in "molding compounds>Silicone, Platnium base")... I'd avoid alulimite since they sell it in weird "we poured it into a different bottle" packs so you can never tell how fresh it is, but they sell it there too if you want a quicker setting not-clear resin.

Hmmm I must have missed this thread before! Some great idea's and fun customs.

I must say I'm amused by your Iron Man armors and did something similiar here with the flight stands & even made 3/4 Classic suits but didn't like that It had a flat back. Casting full models without a pressure post is tricky because of issues with bubbles.

Ok enough babbling here's a thought, Is the bubble for the unibeam on the mold or do you just get bubbles when casting? because sometimes gently poking that area where bubbles form with a paper clip when the mold is filled will shift the bubble and solve the problem.

T.

Great stuff. Have you answered back to pm's yet, because I haven't heard back from you yet.

I haven't, I wanted to make sure the new molds actually worked before I committed to any orders (and which took 5 days since I had to find my legos to build the casings, then wait for the Plastic store to open to get more silicone, then it takes a day for the silicone to set, then it takes a day for the resin to set... it's crazy!)

However I'm happy to report my molds went smashingly! Only a few small hitches: one of them is missing an arm, I'll have to cut a wider pour hole there... and two of them have silicone bits in them from where I either didn't cut away enough over hang and it tore (the actual outside of the mold is fine, it's the part like where the armor overlaps the hip piece, the silicone filling in the gap that's what tore off) or I missed picking out a piece of cut silicone and it got stuck in the mold... the forth turned out absolutely flawless and is probably my favorite clear casting yet!

So I'll be responding to PM's today and begin mass production soon.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the kind words.

DKR Batman's been a project well over two years in the making. An earlier failed attempted ended up being reworked into a Jim Lee style All-Star Batman, basically a Powerhouse Batman with enlarged feet (who I won't show since I have plans to make a Custom Con wave around him) When I saw Ultimate Hulk I thought "yes! that's the torso and hands I need for this project!!", but this arms and thighs were too skinny so I tossed him a box until I could figure out what to do. I briefly considered using a 2.5 inch body with a 2inch head as I do from time to time, but the build was still a little off.

Then along came the Wave 37 the Thing! I dug Old Man Bruce out of his cardboard tomb and using magic sculpt beefed him up. The recipe is as follows:

-Captain Britain's Mask with sculpted ears and mircon pen wrinkles

-Infinite Heroes Batman (old version, found him at the 99 Cent Store)'s Cape cut down

-Ultimate Hulk's Over sized Power House Chest and crotch

-Radio Active Man's belt

-Brave and the Bold Action League Batman (the one with Grod)'s hands cut and fit over the forearms

-Stay Puft Marshmallow Man's boots (or are they his 'feet' I don't know what they count as)

-Upper Arms and Thighs were bulked up with Magic Sculpt (as were the sides of his torso and hips, but just the slightest bit)

Since it's not clear in the original here's some scale shots:

dkrmm2.png

The one in the White Suit is a work-in-progress but is built with a 2.5 inch body with a 2 inch head, Old Man Bruce is in the middle, and showing how tall a standard 'mate is in comparison is another character Frank Miller Made Hillarously Awesome (or if you're one of THOSE kinds of people, 'ruined')

dkrmm3.png

Side shot so I have an excuse to use one of my favorite lines from the Miller-verse "I always forget how small she is"

New stuff, that's fun right? yeah probably not...

Crocodile M for Murder

aakc1.jpg

Arkham Asylum style Killer Croc. He doesn't have the 'control collar' since I couldn't figure out how to make it work with a Minimate body. He's a 3in Gorn with 3in Star Fleet 'boot cuffs' and a sculpted 'powerhouse chest'

aakc2.jpg

with fellow inmate Poison Ivy (who has new hair stolen from Jim Lee Jean Grey)

aakc3.jpg

a cavalcade of custom crocs

A cat themed jewel thief!?! No ones ever thought of that before!

blackcat.jpg

mishmash of classic Blackcat (body), TRU Spider-woman (limbs) and Friends and Foes Blackcat pieces (head, hair, fur tuffs) pieces... the rest of F&FBC is going to become a Catwoman because she's just more awesome then Black Cat.

"Then What's a Mysterio?!"

brhino.jpg

I had an extra Extremis Iron Man I wanted to make into Blue Beetle (ended up being too big and I took a different road with that custom) lying on my desk, I was bored so I hobbled him together with some Mk1 pieces, an IM2 open mask, and I think Sabretooth's face just for giggles and then realized "crap... that kinda looks like Rhino", so he got some sculpted ears and a horn and was painted grey. Makes a pretty good "Ultimate/Videogame/Uncannon Rhino" until a real one updated one comes along.

SHORYUKEN!!!

clayfaceuppercut.jpg

Similar to Luke's Battle Damage Sandman... I prefer DC, so it's some kind of weird twirl, exploding, mid-transformation face, hammer-uppercutting Clayface. head and arms are reposed for better 'attack' posture rather then being in an 'attacked' pose.

Jim Lee sure loves drawing jackets doesn't he...

coatclops.jpg

Jim Lee Cyclops + Jim Lee Rogue's coat and arms = Coat Cyclops!

"So you see Dr.Langstrum thought he could become a more worthy foil for Batman, by becoming a bat..."

manbat.jpg

Mega-Bloks "Freaks" Batwings + 2.5 inch mate with modded feet + Croc's belt + Kilowog's head + Sculpting! I went back and forth on wether to make him brown or white, ended up going almost black.

"It's Al Ghul, baby!"

rasalghul.jpg

Two Ra's, both a Titanium Man's head with a little sculpting on the hair, topless Ra's has Ocean Master cape, Wolverine Belt, and toothpick sword. Ra's in a suit is that guy from BSG with an Ultimate Green Goblin's cape, Talia is San Sarif with Dawn's hair... Mandarin's there pretending to Ken Watanabe, he's not fooling anyone though.

I like to customize things that will NEVER be made, like variant Spider-men...

spidermantrain.jpg

Based on the Hasbro movie figure I wanted a 'half-and-half' Spiderman so I painted over the battle damage on Secret War's Spidey gave him a vanilla head.

Just in time to go with the updated Fantastic Four!

dooom.jpg

Box set Doom and drew some lines on his skirt, replaced cape with Figure Factory Doom's and Spectre's hood, upper arms from Ultimate Iron Man, gloves and boots from Mk2 Movie Iron with a wash... I was going for the "Bowen Design Doom on this Throne" design with this figure... the "drink splashing" is a glob of dried paint I thought looked neat in his cup