UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sucker Punch!

Punisher

Anyone else super excited for this movie to come out next month?? I can't freakin wait! It's got hot chicks, guns, nazis, mechs, samurai, robots, swords, fighter planes, and thats just from the trailer. My head will probably explode during the movie!

Sucker-Punch1-407x300.jpg

suckerpunch1.jpg

sucker-punch_01.jpg

Sucker-Punch-Movie.jpg

Sucker-Punch-Robot-Samurai.jpg

Edited by Punisher

I'm a twenty-something heterosexual female, and even I want to see this ludicrous spectacle of a movie :blink:

I wonder if they'll ever create an Academy Award for Best Trailer? Because Zack Snyder would be guaranteed to sweep that category no matter what movie he makes :lol:

I have wanted to see this movie since I first saw the control art. It's like a 13yo version of me appeared and just had his mind blown all across the screen. The story that I've let simmer on the back burner forever is similar in it's absolute epicness. So yeah, I am psyched. I want to take my sister to see it on spring break, but she's less than enthused.

It doesn't do much for me, personally, but like TM says--it does seem like a 13-14 year old boy's not dry dream come true ;) I hope Superman looks nothing like this.

...dammit, now Snyder needs to make Supergirl.

I for one cannot wait to see it. It's like someone mixed cocaine and Mountain Dew, shoved it in an XBox, and fed it to a teenager. Looks fantastic. :lol:

Whilst it looks awesome I wonder if it has any depth in the storyline although I doubt anybody will notice ? I'm personally disappointed that here again is yet another homage to two of my own dream films 'Maschinen Krieger' & 'Kerberos Panzer Cops' which when they're made will be accused of copying the very films that are stealing their concepts right now. Jap films eventually get remade by Hollywood sooner or later, 'The Magnificent Seven' being the first & oldest that comes to mind, so I just hope Tarantino gets his mitts on the rights to produce either & then we'll all be really blown away by the spectacle.....& the red spectacles* ;)

* I noticed some similar looking guys on promotional pictures for a certain video-game only yesterday...it sucks.

Whilst it looks awesome I wonder if it has any depth in the storyline although I doubt anybody will notice ?

Yeah, I don't get the impression that this will be anything other than eye candy. And really, I don't think it aspires to be anything more than that. Snyder has proven himself very good at "style." But I haven't seen anything overly original from him yet that gave me reason to be optimistic about Superman.

Snyder has proven himself very good at "style." But I haven't seen anything overly original from him yet that gave me reason to be optimistic about Superman.

The irony here is that Sucker Punch is supposed to be Snyder's big original project to showcase his full cinematic chops in... lousy luck I guess that something "original" could turn out so egregiously derivative of Japanese media tropes. It's no Inception, I'll tell you that.

Whilst it looks awesome I wonder if it has any depth in the storyline although I doubt anybody will notice ? I'm personally disappointed that here again is yet another homage to two of my own dream films 'Maschinen Krieger' & 'Kerberos Panzer Cops' which when they're made will be accused of copying the very films that are stealing their concepts right now. Jap films eventually get remade by Hollywood sooner or later, 'The Magnificent Seven' being the first & oldest that comes to mind, so I just hope Tarantino gets his mitts on the rights to produce either & then we'll all be really blown away by the spectacle.....& the red spectacles* ;)

* I noticed some similar looking guys on promotional pictures for a certain video-game only yesterday...it sucks.

Jin roh (kerebos, red spectacles) is my favorite anime property so I love that red eyed armored Nazi style. A live action Jin roh would be amazing. And I assume that the game you're talking about is killzone. That's one game I hope we see mates of in the Sony series.

Snyder has proven himself very good at "style." But I haven't seen anything overly original from him yet that gave me reason to be optimistic about Superman.

The irony here is that Sucker Punch is supposed to be Snyder's big original project to showcase his full cinematic chops in... lousy luck I guess that something "original" could turn out so egregiously derivative of Japanese media tropes. It's no Inception, I'll tell you that.

I guess he's original in throwing all of this derivative stuff into a package folks haven't seen before? It does just look, to me, like a typical anime come to life. Except personally, I'm much more interested in scantily clad human beings than scantily clad cartoon characters, so I do appreciate that change and give Snyder credit for that.

I wonder if they'll ever create an Academy Award for Best Trailer? Because Zack Snyder would be guaranteed to sweep that category no matter what movie he makes :lol:

Whilst it looks awesome I wonder if it has any depth in the storyline although I doubt anybody will notice ?

I've yet to see a Snyder film any deeper than the trailers, which are admittedly very good. I just don't think it speaks very well to his depth of story telling that a one minute cut is generally as effective as his two hour movies. I'll probably see this when it comes out on DVD.

The fact that this is Snyder's original concept actually makes me pessimistic about it. Like Karamazov said, he does style well, but everything else, not so much. I'm still optimistic about Superman. I think with a helping hand from Nolan, it very could come off as being one of the best superhero movies we see.

I think he did a serviceable job with Watchmen. As long as he has a solid creative team (i.e., probably not him) dictating the story and as long as the producers are able to reign in some of his impulses for excess, it could be fine. BUT, if he doesn't get reigned in a bit, then I worry. . .

Edited by karamazov80

ho-ly crap-per-o-las :drool:

I really want to see this movie, it looks really awesome.

But knowing Holland ill have to wait another half year before it comes out here :(

This movie looks really damn silly and violent and just beyond crazy. I'll be seeing this for the same reason I see Tarantino films: For a blasted good time at the movies. I'm not expecting The King's Speech or True Grit. But it does look like Kill Bill had sex with my youthful imagination and produced this bundle of insanity. Which is EXACTLY why I'm seeing this.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw "Sucker Punch" last night, and well..... :yucky:

Really, really BAD! I'll use spoiler tags for my "review".

Good lord, I was disappointed. While the fight scenes were flipping amazing, I could hardly bear to watch any other part. The story was really weak, but I expected that because I figured it would be a "shoot 'em up" hot girl fight fest. It was not.

Snyder failed at creating a "dream within a dream" type thing horribly. The entire "strip/dance club" was a terrible idea that had no purpose at all besides having the girls in skimpy outfits with sexual implications. It would have been so much better if she had the "fight scene dreams" straight from the insane asylum...like i figured it would be from the trailer. The implied rape and abuse was sickening and felt so wrong and degrading (even for snyder who had the rape and child murder scenes in watchmen). The old man guiding them was so cheesy and out of place.

The 30 minutes of action was great, I loved the Nazi part, but that 30 out of 2 hrs was just not enough. If only this had been a video game of strictly the battles. That would have been epic.

Overall, it seems like Snyder tried to make a Micheal Bay "fight scenes are more important than story" movie, but somehow, all the focus went to the bad story.

Edited by Punisher

I have seen a few reviews for this now and they all say the same very disappointing. I have to say I was looking forward to this just from a visual side as the trailers really caught my attention with the mix of sci-fi, WWII and fantasy but now I'm in two minds and will prob wait for the DVD rental.

im kinda sad to hear that it turned out exactly how i thought it would, i was really hoping snyder would be able to exceed my expectations.....meh atleast this means i can save my money for the onslaught of marvel movies

Edited by robomate

I still need to see the movie myself to make up my mind for it, though I am aware of the bad reviews streaming in. Let's just say I facepalmed the moment Women In Refrigerators came into effect.

Dammit, Snyder.

I knew full well going into this movie that it wasn't going to be some straight forward balls to the wall action / fantasy flick. After having read some reviews online and seeing the movie itself, I can agree with the critics that this was a personal project of Zack Snyder. This movie was a bit of a mind trip in the fact that there was a fantasy world within another fantasy world. I could get confusing (to some) at times, trying to figure out what was going on plotwise, but I thought Snyder pulled it off well. It's exactly what I thought it was going to be ( a phycadellic mind trip). Is Snyder trying to appeal to a wide audience? Probably not. Like I said, this seemed more like a personal project than anything else. Did I like it? Yes. Is it one of the greatest movies ever made? No. It's like looking at a captivating abstract painting. There's always something intersting to see / discover and it's open to interpretation of the viewer, but it won't appeal to everyone who looks at it.

Edited by MINI_MYTE