UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deathly Hallows Films

Trekker 42

Just got out. And I have to say this is not the best movie of the series so far. But it's absolutely high on the list, below only Order of the Phoenix.

Don't go in expecting word-for-word friends. You won't get it. They crammed a LOT into this little 2.5 hour movie and left out quite a bit. The biggest: Dumbledore's connection to Grindelwald. This film is very much a love letter to those who read and loved the books. It gets the major plot points, but without reading it, you lose a lot of stuff. They don't expect you to know it immediately, but they do expect you to not care that they missed it. Movie-only people won't miss a thing, Book readers will know what's gone and may be disappointed.

Best scenes:

Ministry Infiltration

The Tale of Three Brothers (See it and then let Death haunt your nightmares forever.)

The Locket and the Sword

Malfoy Manor went surprisingly quickly, all things considered, but Dobby was even cooler in the movie than in the book. He gets in a "F-You" line to Bellatrix that the book did not have.

Also Harry gets one to Umbridge that the book also did not have. David Yates likes giving Harry these lines when Dolores Umbridge is involved...

Well... sleepy time... Let the discussion begin!

i cant wait my wife and i are going tommarow

Movie-only people won't miss a thing, Book readers will know what's gone and may be disappointed.

I haven't read the books and I could feel missing plot-lines. I enjoyed the film and was entertained, but I feel like plot drop was all over the place: *bam* plot in your lap, *bam* plot removed from film, *bam* here's something else we don't care to explain, we just want to keep the plot moving! Most of the scenes felt really rushed, which was strange because the beginning of the film is puzzlingly slow.

I'm actually hoping these will be some sort of director's cut blu-ray/dvd release to see if things were cut to get the film at a certain length, or if it really was just a rush of plots coming so quickly you don't get a moment to enjoy the scene (or not).

I'm actually hoping these will be some sort of director's cut blu-ray/dvd release to see if things were cut to get the film at a certain length, or if it really was just a rush of plots coming so quickly you don't get a moment to enjoy the scene (or not).

It may very well have been a plot rush. That way they can revel in the glory that is The Battle of Hogwarts. After all, there's like, 1/3 of the book left and it all describes actions that happen absurdly fast. I can already tell they're gonna be adding to the BOH...

Let's just make sure we're using spoiler tag folks. That way I can read around things and hear what you thought about the movie ;) We probable won't go until next weekend because of a lack of a babysitter until then :confused: This is basically my wife's Star Wars or LOTR. She remembers more about the books than I do. So I'm really hoping that our plans don't fall through. It would be awful if our plans fell through for a 2nd time, considering we don't go out that much anymore :(

Edited by The_Donster

Having never read the books, and only having a passing interest in the movies, I was lost on a few times.

How were Harry, Ron, and Hermione found at that coffee shop, and again after escaping Lovegood's house?

Why the random bad guys wandering in the woods? Surely the world is bigger than that.

What was up with the broken piece of mirror Harry was carrying around?

Who was the tall guy in the basement with Luna and the goblin?

How'd they find the sword?

Having never read the books, and only having a passing interest in the movies, I was lost on a few times.

How were Harry, Ron, and Hermione found at that coffee shop, and again after escaping Lovegood's house?

Why the random bad guys wandering in the woods? Surely the world is bigger than that.

I agree

what was the broken piece of mirror harry carried around?

and how do

elves steal wands? and why does Creature listen to Harry?

I agree

what was the broken piece of mirror harry carried around?

and how do

elves steal wands? and why does Creature listen to Harry?

ok having read the book i can answer some of these but my spoilers key thing wont work so ill send you a messege

ok having read the book i can answer some of these but my spoilers key thing wont work so ill send you a messege

sweet! I'll add your message with spoiler cover to the thread if you don't mind.

response from Robomate:

just to answer both of you and drgnrbrns questions.

1.the mirror sliver comes from the mirror of erised, it shows you what you want the most, harry sees his parents and dumbledor

2.creature listens to harry because now that harry owns the house creature must listen to him(though later they actually become um...friends?)

3.the reason the bad guys keep showing up is because harry keeps saying voldomorts name. he thinks he is being brave by saying it but really it just opens the connection he has with he who must not be named, which leads the death eaters right to harry.

i think thats all i can remember, hoped that answers some questions

Edited by MsMarvel fan

sweet! I'll add your message with spoiler cover to the thread if you don't mind.

response from Robomate:

just to answer both of you and drgnrbrns questions.

1.the mirror sliver comes from the mirror of erised, it shows you what you want the most, harry sees his parents and dumbledor

2.creature listens to harry because now that harry owns the house creature must listen to him(though later they actually become um...friends?)

3.the reason the bad guys keep showing up is because harry keeps saying voldomorts name. he thinks he is being brave by saying it but really it just opens the connection he has with he who must not be named, which leads the death eaters right to harry.

i think thats all i can remember, hoped that answers some questions

Wrong on a couple of fronts amigo...

1. The mirror actually was this two-way mirror given by the late great Sirius Black in the Order of the Phoenix. Unfortunate that they didn't bother with this in the movie version as it's actually a way to communicate with whoever has the other half. In this case, it has passed into the hands of someone who has the connections to help Harry. Since those who haven't read the books wouldn't know, I won't say it here. To prove it, I submit page 14 of Deathly Hallows: "He recognized it at once. It was a two-inch long fragment of the enchanted mirror that his dead godfather, Sirius, had given him."

2. The reason Harry keeps getting caught is because he says the name, but it works for everyone not just him. The Death Eaters jinxed the name, made it taboo. If you say it, you're Order and thus Avada Kedavra fodder. Page 389: "The name's been jinxed, Harry, that's how they track people. Using his name breaks protective enchantments, it causes some kind of magical disturbance-it's how they found us in Toutenham Court Road." Ron also mentions that they nearly caught Kingsley Shacklebolt this way on the next page.

3. Tall guy was Ollivander (You didn't mention this, so I thought I'd say so), the man who sold Harry his first wand.

4. As for the sword, well... somebody hid it there and then led them to it. This somebody is someone who I cannot reveal to non-readers because you find out in Part 2.

Hope that cleared some things up. They missed a plot point about this painting in Grimmauld Place that they took a painting which had a connection to the man who gave them the sword. How they'll get around that I don't quite know...

Edited by Trekker 42

I really enjoyed the movie and think they did a really good job staying close to the book but at the same time making it different. A few things I wish were done different. . . .

I wish when they went back to Godricks Hollow and were looking at Harry's childhood home they should have included all of the words of encouragement that people had left for Harry. In the movie they spend a good minute standing in front of the house I don't think it would have taken too much effort to add this part of the book in.

They also should have made more out of Harry disarming Draco as this is a big part of the Elder Wand part of the story.

I really enjoyed the movie and think they did a really good job staying close to the book but at the same time making it different. A few things I wish were done different. . . .

I wish when they went back to Godricks Hollow and were looking at Harry's childhood home they should have included all of the words of encouragement that people had left for Harry. In the movie they spend a good minute standing in front of the house I don't think it would have taken too much effort to add this part of the book in.

They also should have made more out of Harry disarming Draco as this is a big part of the Elder Wand part of the story.

Actually more is showin in the

Harry and Draco struggle than is spent on anything else in Malfoy Manor. They struggle for a good 5-10 seconds, which in a scene as hectic as Malfoy Manor is practically a lifetime.

And yeah, the sword will be in part 2 if they get that part of it right.

to throw in - wife and i went last night as well and must say it follows the book alot better then the rest and the ministry of magic was exactly what i had envisioned when i read the book overall i think they did pretty damb good -the end of the movie is pretty deep into the book so there definatly setting up for some heavy fight scenes in part 2

and like what ive read everywhere the music fits the vibe of the movie perfect-its a little choppy about plot points but my fingers are crossed that we get some deleted scenes anyway great movie!

I really enjoyed it, and cannot wait for the second part.

One thing is I felt was rushed was that the opening scene of everyone flying to the Weasley house. Especially with an important character's death (Moody), I felt that they could have showed the Death Eaters and all the Harry Potters battling (and the death of Moody).

I really enjoyed it, and cannot wait for the second part.

One thing is I felt was rushed was that the opening scene of everyone flying to the Weasley house. Especially with an important character's death (Moody), I felt that they could have showed the Death Eaters and all the Harry Potters battling (and the death of Moody).

I think the reason they didn't show Moody's death is because they wanted the exact same reaction people gave to the book. You spend a bit wondering who's not coming back, they come back staggered a bit to keep you thinking "Another will be around shortly..." then BAM! "Mad-Eye's dead." The fact that it wasn't shown kinda added to the shock of it and, until the Ministry scene, the mystery. After all, Bill could have been mistaken... Mad-Eye could have gotten away... nope...

And to get out of Black Box realm, I saw it again and I really have to say it holds up, except for one scene: They're walking around the world and the radio is listing missing wizards and witches. I think that scene could have been made into a fan's dream by putting in the names of those who were attacked in the book, even if they weren't in the movie, book readers could be in the know about these guys. Dirk Cresswell for example. Or Ted Tonks. Throw those in and you'd have yourself a nice pair of easter eggs.

Missed moment for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't want to ruin it for you Lurch, but isn't where you thought. Like others have said, followed the book very closely. Kind of wish they had done that with the last couple of movies now. As far as the sword, the sword was explained a couple of times in the movie. And this is coming from a guy who got up to pee twice :D

Don, you got suckered in for the ginormous size drink & popcorn (w/ unlimited refills) didn't you?

Not to worry, nothing to ruin, I've read the books. I just wouldn't think they would try to make it all the way past Gringotts for the first part. It would have been nice if all these films had planned for extended editions to be released. I'm not talking ABC Family why-am-I-watching-this-friggin-channel-with-soooo-many-friggin-commercials-when-I-have-this-on-dvd few extra scenes version, I mean the LOTR-style full extra we've-planned-to-take-up-your-entire-day extended edition. I've also liked when the movies have strayed a bit from the books. My favorite movie of the series so far has been Prisoner of Azkaban (and least favorite book, go figure :blink: ). If they would have continued to go strictly by-the-book like the first couple movies did, then I doubt the series would have been as successful (and open to those that haven't read the books) as it has been. A pinch of change is good sometimes ;)

Well, here's hoping we can find a babysitter this weekend!

So where exactly does this part end? We've yet to see this due to sickness and babysitter schedules.

I'm guessing it's at Shell Cottage, either right before or right after

talking to Olivander/Griphook

The break is a little off.

Right after he buries Dobby there is a cut to Voldemort cracking open Dumbledor's tomb and stealing the Elder Wand, which in the book does not happen until he is already talking to Olivander/Griphook.