UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Mutants 4 Pack Press Photos

DaveOMac

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it Luke, particularly incorporating the other previously released 'mates.

I picked up an extra First Appearance Marvel Girl that I plan to custom into First Appearance Kitty Pryde with a little brown paint and some part swapping. :thumbsup:

a3405c5d1dbfaaa6_thumb.jpg

heh, I did something very similar

Hand it to you to point out my faults.

X-Cellent video, Luke! Exactly what I do when I get a new set.

For the record, Rahne is pronounced "rain". I read it as Ronnie for the longest time until it was asked about in a letters column.

Oh... and one of the first things I will do is slice off the braid on Rahne's hairpiece. She never had that in the comics and it makes her look too much like Rachel. I'm also thinking of swapping out a Wolverine hairpiece since she usually had the wispy, wolf-hair.

Hey guys,

Normally I don't post "work-in-progress" pics, but I wanted to run these New Mutants tweaks/customs by you for feedback before I go too much further.

new_mutants_ironcowprod.jpg

Kharma is untouched from the NYCC version, but I might give her a "possession" accessory that snaps onto her neck. Something clear purple, but that might be overkill.

Wolfsbane has new hair, arms, and tail. The arms feel a tad long, but she did have long arms in her wolf-form. Is this an improvement over the NYCC version? (I added on hair from Feral, but it was just TOO big)

Mirage is pretty much done, featuring newly reworked hair and boots (with tassles). The belt is taken from Black Widow (from some GREAT suggestions earlier in this thread). I can't tell if I need to redo the skintone to make it a tad redder. Right now she's just reusing the Rahne spare head from the NYCC set.

Sunspot is a repaint, with new face and chest. The face and chest are digitally mocked-up here, as I can't decide if I should go with the chest detail or leave it off ( it's supposed to be all-black, but it looked kind of plain without). Trying to figure out a way to get the spots to float around him. Possibly various circles applied to a clear backdrop

Cannonball has his legs lengthened to make him taller than the rest, and has a new face. Not sure if he looks gawky enough. Suggestions on this one?

Magma - digital mockup. The figure is all-yellow at the moment, and I'm trying to figure out if the lines are working on not. She's sometimes drawn pure-yellow in the comic, but that felt too plain for the minimate version.

Cypher - the hair is parted on the wrong side, but it's not bugging me enough to resculpt the part. He's sometimes drawn with it this way anyway.

I had plans for Warlock and Magik, but those were announced at NYCC.

Anyway, if you have any comments or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

Edited by Iron-Cow

Mirage looks absolutely stunning, and I think Sunspot looks better and more accurate this way. I think a backdrop with his power circles would look great. Maybe it could be a base that he could stand in, and the power circles could bubble up around him? Cannonball's extended legs look a bit odd to me, but his facial expression is much improved. I love the mock-up for Magma, and I think the lines are definitely needed. I will be borrowing some of these ideas for sure. :)

Great NMs IC! I love the Mirage and Magma especially. How did you lengthen Cannonball's legs?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I must admit, after reading bilbofett's comments about the Ghostbusters base, I'm tempted to perhaps go that route with Magma (though I have no idea how the decals would look over a clear base, so I'll probably stick with what I've got already)

For Cannonball, I simply added in a bit of Kneadatite (the green sculpting stuff) into the boots and under his belt to add in a bit of height. I might go back and make the legs a smidge shorter, based off Luke's feedback. He'll still be taller than the rest of the group, but not quite so drastically.

Wow Matt! Just great. They all look fantastic. I may have to destroy one of my wolverines to update my Wolsbane (which is a real shame since i have so few Logans :P )

They are all great, but Mirage, Sunspot & Magma i think really stand out for me. I was just going to use a spare Valkyrie hair for my custom, but after seeing yours, i may have to attempt sculpting one.

They all look great. much more comic accurate where needed and Mirage is the standout for me. Didn't she have a bow and arrow sometimes in comics?

Yes, she is somethimes given a bow & arrow, and sometimes a spear depending on the era/artist.

Edited by Nessex

Thanks, everyone... I appreciate it!

Okay, cool... now I've got to print up all these decals and get them actually applied to the figures. Hopefully I can get to that in the next week or so. Eager to have these finished.

Serge_Havok - I love how you did the braids on yours. I might go back and rework mine now. Your layout feels a lot more accurate.

And, just a note about Mirage's hair: it's not exactly an original sculpt. I took the hairpiece from Classic Battlestar Galactica Apollo, then sliced the braids off an older Gwen Stacy Minimate and glued the two together (it took a lot of whittling down to get a smooth shape, but it wasn't too difficult either). Finally, the braid tips came from the 'Rachel' hairpieces leftover from the New Mutants Wolfsbane figure.

So, if you have an Apollo figure, that's half the work right there... Hope this helps!