UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Something awesome happened.

minimadman

On November 17th 2007 I quit my job at the local multiplex. I was the assistant manager and was probably the highest paid assistant manager in the history of the theatre industry. It was an awesome job to have when I got it at 19 but by the time I quit at 27 the addition of a wife and one kid and another on the way put into focus that working those hours and all weekends and holidays became very difficult. I was ready to begin a career and wanted to have purpose beyond counting someone else's money. My last day at the theatre came fast and I had no job lined up, not even a prospect of a job. I have had a job of some sort consistently since I turned 16 and after a month without working I was becoming restless so I took a telemarketing job while I found something better. I finally got an interview for a job as a probation officer and the interview went great until the subject of my education was brought up. In the state of Ga you need a degree to be a probation officer. I went to college out of high school but I had a job that paid extremely well for someone my age so I went for a few semesters and then quit but now I was motivated and that made all the difference. I quit my dead end telemarketing job and went back to college. I took as many classes as I could every semester including summers and combined with my classes I had already taken I graduated in under two years. In the course of my education I started to get the feeling that I was supposed to be a cop and as I was going through my last few months of school I was also in the process of getting hired by the local police department. One of the downsides to getting started in a career in criminal justice is the vast number of prerequisites that are part of the hiring process. I had been in the process for five months when I was told that I was not being hired. I literally had all my eggs in that basket and it hit the ground with a splat. This crushed me and what would follow would be the most grueling months of my life. My self esteem went out the door along with all my confidence. The economy was going into the ground around the same time and I started to feel like I would never be able to find a job much less one in my field. I was getting more and more depressed about it and then I applied with the local sheriff's office in March and started the process over again and after multiple interviews, an extensive background check, another polygraph, fingerprinting, and a very invasive physical I got a call this afternoon saying that I start in their jail next week and that's a foot in the door to the detective position that I dream of. Now I told you that story so I can say this, the past 2 years have been the most difficult and trying of my life and through it all the most positive things in my life have been my friends and family and this message board. I can not fully express how much I appreciate the people on this board for being a bright spot in an otherwise dark time in my life. Thanks to all of you. Steven

Wow! Congratulations man. That is fantastic news. I hope you are doing something fun to celebrate.

I have just landed an entry level job in my chosen field (after years of looking) - so i know how excited you must be feeling.

I raise my glass to your success :thumbsup:

A great story & a particularly satisfying result for a determined guy. Well done mate.

I recall the picture of a certain object you posted here years ago & I was genuinely flabbergasted , I also recall that we engaged in some banter about why you wanted one. I can see why now!

Awesome story with a great ending. It's not often anymore that you find people that are willing to pursue their goals until they reach them and I wish you the best of luck in it. My step-mother works in a jail and, though it's far from the perfect job (I like it best when she doesn't share work stories) she loves it and feels like she's in the right industry for the first time in her life.

Congrats, Steven! I hope this can get you to where you eventually want to go. I've encountered hurdles and have had to make compromises in my ideal career path as well, and all you can do is to try to enjoy what you're doing at a given time, and to make the best out of it. I hope that whatever you end up doing, it is something rewarding and enjoyable :buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

Hey congratulations man! I may not have played much of a part in this but I'm sincerely happy for you, and I agree with you - this place is full of nice guys and more than once I've thought about how Minimates collectors tend to be the nicest and most supportive kind of collectors I've met (both locally and internationally). I dunno why.

Congratulations and good work. You'll see some pretty bizarre stuff. Seriously bizarre. Be ready. Good luck on the rest of the path. The world always needs law enforcement that really feeling the calling.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I am a week in to my job and loving it. Today I had a class called Defensive Tactics, which should have been called how to fuck someone up Jason Bourne style. It's awesome but as a wise man once said "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. It's further proof of how great this little corner of the internet is.