UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Food in the movies!

Bob Harris

OK, what you might not know is, I do a cooking blog with a friend of mine. Main part of the blog are videos, showing us preparing all kinds of food, while we make references to movies, tv-series, comics, etc., etc. You'd love it, I'm sure, but it's in German, so meh... boring!

Now we'd love to do a section where we prepare food that is eaten in movies. Like the "Apfelstrudel" in Inglourious Basterds, "Spaghetti Speziale" from A Lady and the Tramp or "Coconut shrimps" in Forest Gump. Got it?

We won't do anybody's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti, since we, well, aren't big liver fans. :)

I don't want the actual recipe, that's something we need to figure out, but I need food/menues from the movies!!

So, any suggestions? It should be something to eat worth preparing (not just a BIg Kahuna Burger) and it should come from a good* movie.

(We are considering re-acting the movie scene afterwards, but all of this is just a thought.)

Danke!!!

____

*: whatever that means.

I didn't see it, but Julie and Julia seems like it would have plenty for you to work with.

Chocolat. I really enjoy making truffles and chococate covered toffee.

Clemenza's red sauce in the Godfather.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind- mashed potatoes

Stand By Me- fruit pie.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... yeah.

It doesn't involve cooking, but Rocky Road ice cream and Baby Ruth bars from the Goonies.

If you want to get really crazy with your food, look to Last Tango in Paris or 9 1/2 Weeks.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind- mashed potatoes

Good one!

If you want to get really crazy with your food, look to Last Tango in Paris or 9 1/2 Weeks.

Or. . .Pink Flamingos :sick:

First off, I need a good spaghetti sauce recipie Bob, could you help me out here? I'd check your blog but I don't speak German. I speak english first language, Spanish second language. German is next if I have time to do it.

OK, so, movie food.

I would try some stuff from the Harry Potter films. I know they have Chocolate Frogs and Cauldron Cakes in novelty stores but perhaps something like... hmmm... Imitate the food seen at the first movie's Hogwarts feast maybe?

If you haven't seen the new A-Team then see it now. Then make Murdoch's steak. You might be responsible for some poisoning but it would be funny as hell. Or you could just substitute and say it was Inspired By the A-Team.

The Green Mile's last meal. And cornbread.

Make some Asian food for Gran Torino.

That egg thing V made in V for Vendetta.

And that kinda exhausts me for now. I'll come back later if I think of anything else.

Thanks a lot so far and keep 'em coming!

I realy like the Jack Rabbit Slims idea, Pancakes from Fargo, Godfather sauce, Green Mile, Harry Potter, stuff like this. Cool! Indiana Jones etc. is a good laugh - so is bacon / Babe, thanks BHM - but nothing to work with. But still, keep 'em coming!

And T42, I'll talk to you about a my favorite pasta sauce later.

And if you're interested:

http://nokitchenforoldmen.blogspot.com/

:P

We've gone this far into thread and not mentioned cannolis? For shame! :P

I must say though, punisher, good call on the epic chocolate cake scene! I guess the Giant Peach from, er, James and the Giant Peach is worth mentioning as well, eh?

Other interesting food stuff that might be of interest to you Bob (though I have famously weird taste in movies):

Hummus (You Don't Mess With The Zohan)

Hot Pockets (apparently they're the stereotypical "computer geek food" in a lot of Hollywood movies, so far I recall The Core and Sydney White. Stop laughing.)

Chicken Pie (Chicken Run... ironic, I know.)

a Mint Julep... or any heart-attack-inducing cheese-covered thing (Thank You For Smoking)

any number of esoterically-named mixed alcoholic beverages (that old Tom Cruise movie Cocktails)

And some slightly less relevant TV stuff:

Pizza (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

"Who loves orange soda?" (Kenan and Kel, for you Nickelodeon fans.)

Rabbit Stew (a small lifetime of Looney Tunes shorts)

Fish sticks dipped in custard (obviously, Doctor Who. He also like bananas and hates pears.)

"OMELETTE DU FROMAGE!" (Dexter's Laboratory)

That egg thing V made in V for Vendetta.

Stephen Fry's character called it "eggie in the basket" in the film. Not sure how much help that is.

And if you're interested:

http://nokitchenforoldmen.blogspot.com/

:P

Heh, fun blog name. Though it suddenly reminded me of another funny movie food idea:

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!

Soul Food Cafe Owner: Help you two?

Elwood: Do you have any white bread ma'am?

Soul Food Cafe Owner: Yeah.

Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.

Soul Food Cafe Owner: You want any jam on that honey?

Elwood: No ma'am, dry.

Jake: Have you got any fried chicken ma'am?

Soul Food Cafe Owner: Best damned chicken in the state!

Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.

Soul Food Cafe Owner: You want chickens wings or chicken legs?

Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.

Elwood: And some dry white toast please.

Soul Food Cafe Owner: Ya'all want anything to drink with that?

Elwood: No ma'am.

Jake: A Coke.

Soul Food Cafe Owner: Be right back.

Nuff said!

T.

Thanks a lot for all the input. You got some really cool ideas to work with. We'll see what we're going to do.

And MiniFiend, you guessed right, I'm the one with the Superman shirt. (Isn't it awesome? If you got heat vision, you don't need a microwave!)

And since you sadly don't understand anything, you might get

on our oven, which is also a time machine. :)