UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Walking Dead TV series?

karamazov80

How awesome is this?? Potentially the most awesome TV or film related news since I heard that Nolan was going to tackle Batman.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800716...=1&nid=2562

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

:buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

Darabont released a cut of the Mist in black and white on the special edition DVD, and he said that he originally wanted to do the regular film that way. So he seems willing to go there if he feels it is right for the story. Whether AMC would go for it or not is another issue.

I think that for this to be great it should be on HBO.

I don't know about that. You can get away with a lot on cable, violence- and even language-wise, nowadays (yes, in the U.S., it is more taboo to say bad words on TV than it is to see a guy getting his head blown off). Probably no nudity, but I don't think a film-maker on the order of Darabont is gonna be hurt much by these potential restrictions. He is not Eli Roth.

They won't be able to go all-out of course, but I guess I don't think a show about the impact of zombies necessarily needs to be a gore-fest to be effective. Though of course, some gore is necessary.

Edited by karamazov80

• 9 months later...

I wanted to stick this in the World War Z thread, just to breath some life (read: hope) into it. But here is good enough I suppose. So, the first pic from TWD got released. Very non spoiler, so I'm must going to throw it up here.

WalkingDeadZombieGal_1276196189_640w.jpg

Man. That's so eerily accurate I can even name the scene. http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/al...358&page=10 or http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/al...358&page=23 This show is going to be insane.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I just recently caught the first seasons of AMC shows Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Though I was obviously excited about Walking Dead before, knowing the kind of quality shows AMC produces, I'm even more excited now. This has the potential to be big.

Add me to the excited list...

I am currently re-reading the first 48 or so Issue compendium which I picked up cheap.

Oh and the guy who's going to be playing Rick..... Damn fine actor.... but will always be "Egg" to me :D

T.

• 2 weeks later...

EGG!!!!!!!!!

hmm ok so any of you who aren't British and didn't watch "This Life" ( 90's drama about a bunch of 20-somethings) won't have a clue about what I'm on about but hey I don't care :D

This is showing all the signs of being done right and looks awesome.... :)

T.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...