UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Family-friendly board or not?

buttheadsmate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this has been an interesting thread to read through, I personally think this forum has been awesome! I have never been seriosuly offended by anything anyone has written and considering some other forums I visit that makes this place amazing! I think for the most part all the members here do a great job of not taking any swearing to the extreme. I don't think the board needs any changes at all (although the random word generator would be amusing).

Edited by gambitron

I have seen some people post some offensive things here (I have personally let out an ill-timed rant or two), but there is no real sustained tension between members that I notice. Elsewhere, there are people that seem to get off "trolling," picking fights, and just generally being an ass. I don't perceive that here. Teasing is generally in fun, and people tend to recognize that. When someone comes in who act differently, I think they recognize pretty quickly that that kind of behavior is not looked upon kindly, and usually either change their ways or leave pretty quick.

Regarding swear words specifically, as others have said, the kind of member who tends to post here usually uses such words with discretion. If it gets too out of hand, some mod involvement can step in, but I haven't noticed it being a problem to the extent that a word filter or general policy about it should be necessary. I personally don't think 12 year olds should post on boards with adults at all, or have unsupervised internet access for that matter (there are some things I don't think you should be exposed to until you are psychologically, emotionally, and physically developed enough to), but I understand that kids might come here, and try to keep that in mind when I typically post something. However, this board isn't the Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network boards. We are mostly adults with adult perspectives and experiences. That is going to come through in posts, and sometimes swear words are a part of that.

Edited by karamazov80

I probably feel some sort of 'Jive' filter would probably sort everything out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDOp6zypbM&NR=1

No matter how many times I see that movie it just cracks me up :D

Absolutely bloody marvellous ! :lol:

It's an entirely different kind of speaking, altogether.

I love it as well, also, it (the jive scene) is even funnier when you realize that the old woman who speaks jive is Beaver and Wally's mother from Leave it to Beaver.

Edited by MinimateEspo25

Interestingly I have observed that (aside from religion/politics) most topics are not off limits, and most profanity is taken is stride. But when someone comes off with something that even can be perceived as anti-sodomite, they get called out quick, even if it's not politically or religiously charged, or leveled at a specific member.

I don't think so Rad. I could be wrong, but I think I suggested this board to Groundhog on another board :unsure: He and a few other members were into Minimates, but there wasn't much buzz on that particular board. He seems to be the one that's stuck around though :)

Straying off from swearing, what about all the inappropriate videos in the YouTube thread, or the fat guys (and hot girls) in costumes thread. We've also got a thread about half-naked anime woman and men toys.

There's a lot of stuff that isn't considered kid-friendly on this board, so where exactly do we draw the line?

You weren't a member of the old Art Asylum board then Groundhog?

Yeah, I was around then (even got a Bombermate). I just avoided the actual chatter and focused more on the Minimate news. And I am pretty sure it was Don that told me about here (you now know who to blame).

And to clear things up, I forgot to use the eye-roll emoticon when I posted that. I can think of a few members here that would probably be kicked out the first day religion or politics were allowable topics.

Edited by groundhog7s

Straying off from swearing, what about all the inappropriate videos in the YouTube thread, or the fat guys (and hot girls) in costumes thread. We've also got a thread about half-naked anime woman and men toys.

There's a lot of stuff that isn't considered kid-friendly on this board, so where exactly do we draw the line?

As I think has been said we aren't trying to be perfect and a PG13 rating seems to be a good middle ground, if we totally removed everything that might not be suitable for a 7yr old then we'd probably loose some of our older members and kids of that age shouldn't be on the internet anyways!

T.

And to clear things up, I forgot to use the eye-roll emoticon when I posted that. I can think of a few members here that would probably be kicked out the first day religion or politics were allowable topics.

It'd certainly make for an entertaining day! :D

Hi, I've not been around in a loooong while, but I thought I'd check in today and see how some of the guys I knew at AA are getting along. ;)

I saw this thread and thought I would add my own thoughts as an occasional visitor to this site. Firstly, I would agree that a language filter doesn't really work too well because you can post the most innocent word such as 'cockpit' and have to spell it creatively or else the filter cuts in. Over at Trekunited, they substitue the word "phlox" for a variety of actually quite low-key potty-words, and speaking as a mother myself, really kids use far worse in the playground. It doesn't matter how much you try to keep your kids away from profanity etc, there's always some precocious chavvy kid spouting swears at school. I realised this the day my daughter came home (aged 11) and told me that she now knew how to carry out fellatio having learned all about it from some mother's copy of the Cosmopolitan Guide to Good Sex that had been brought into school, which was being passed around at break. I'm a broadminded sort of a mum, so I didn't have a complete hissyfit, but you can bet we had a timely discussion about the 'yukky' act!

I also have issues with the kind of lazy parent who believes it is the job of everybody else to censor themselves in order to protect their kids from adult material. There was a nasty row about this over at AA, where I responded to some mum who tried to combine parenting with spending long hours online herself, and expected the rest of us to behave in a way that she wouldn't have to explain to her kids everytime they came around the computer wanting her attention. Go figure. Sorry, but the internet is the internet, and in my opinion, kids under the age of 13 shouldn't be online unsupervised anyway, even if it does make things inconvenient for parents who would prefer to abdicate responsibility for bringing their children up. The internet isn't a babystitter and younger kids should be outdoors playing anyway with their parents supervising. If raising kids is hard work, don't have kids ~ simples!

I enjoy a good knob joke or fart gag like anybody else and I can be a potty-mouth at times, and a good board makes allowances for mild mucky humour, however, since it has been mentioned once or twice in this thread, I'm not keen on the bonking lady in the Civil War signature either! I think that showing a woman having sex (real or fake) in a signature goes too far. It's just not necessary in this situation and I'm not sure what having that says about the guy who put it up there. Everybody's free to look at that kind of thing from the regular sources in the privacy of their own home with a side order of Kleenex, but let's just say that the wobbly woman could limit the diversity of the forum where female minimate fans might think this is just a frat-house party or a guys' locker room, and just think the place isn't for them, or decide to make their own signature in kind!

....Actually, that could be a good idea! :P

But seriously, while I agree with the guy who did not want to ask the guy to modify his signature just for him because he appreciates the diversity of the board, if I were asked to draw a reasonable line which could be crossed on a board like this, I would ave to say that the bonking lady is well on the wrong side.

Just MHO, and I realise I'm not a regular visitor here, but it is something that occurred to me in the past.

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon

Hi, I've not been around in a loooong while, but I thought I'd check in today and see how some of the guys I knew at AA are getting along. ;)

Hey Jules!

Long time no see, hope all is going well in the land of Shinzonlust?

Oddly I hadn't thought about that sig image and how it appears to the opposite sex and how it might drive them off, It's been here a long time and I've kind of gotten to the stage where I ignore it.

You make a pretty good point but the flip side is that should we ask him to remove it just because it is becoming the center of debate. My answer is no until someone actually feels strongly enough to complain about it via the report button.

I wonder if Webhead would like to comment on it, after all it is his sig!

T.

Welcome back, Jules!

As for the sig in question, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It is an animated shot of a lovely young lady's face looking over her shoulder. I see nothing sex-related in that picture. I thought she was doing pushups or riding a stationary bike...

I guess perversion is in the eye/mind (or

You are so naughty for looking!

) of the beholder! :lol: