UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Family-friendly board or not?

buttheadsmate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it didn't take long for someone to kang and smurf things up. This thread has officially veered off course :lol:

no one appreciates a well placed f bomb more than me. I definitely think that profanity is the spice to language...and enjoy nothing more than when someone who normally doesnt breaks down and swears.

I also enjoy gutter humor...dick and fart jokes make me chuckle, need proof read one of my minimate comics.

Now having said that, i feel that this board has always allowed the occassional swear in the heat of the moment and i have always appreciated that. I do not want to steer kids away from this site, as they are the continued future for this line, but at the same time, I hope parents are taking an active role in what their kids are reading, posting, blogging, or twittering on.

This is a hobby for kids, but for the most parts we are the misfits the kids at heart...and I like it that way. A safe haven for us adults who should have better things to do.

So I think the family friendly side of things should fall into the PG 13 guidelines and let sites like AA and Minimates.com be for the masses.

just my 2 effing cents

moc847

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to at least "claim" to be 13 to get an account here? I don't think I should have been let loose on the internet when I was 13, but apparently I was "sheltered", whatever that means. So who knows.

Whilst I do not advocate foul language, I detest language filters. I have very bad experiences with them.

right my turn!

Now as one of the younger members of mmmv i agree tht we do need to be carefull with swearing because when children such as myself get to say 11-12 years old and with school and everything swearing does open up i mean, most children swear at school and some times accidentally at home.I have to be carefull what i say to my parents but i think swearing on a board like this is more than ok!

as for webheads sig its fine by me i watch things like jackass dirty sanchez and family guy (three things some may consider rude and often contain mild nudity) in front of my parents and the dont give fu-smurf :P

as for calling people- i mean BHM pervert this is fine by me too

by the way can we stop saying smurf and smurfing and smurf-whatever smurfs make me want to caus suicide

Whilst you may think it's OK to call me a pervert & put a smiley next to it.....I don't.

I would've paid big money to completely illustrate my point about "The monkey see....the monkey do" mentality here sometimes....... & a monkey does it for free ;)

Thankyou Monkey Lord for agreeing with your mentor ,Staff member TBT......I guess being labelled a pervert could have been worse ....at least I'm not Welsh ,12 & suicidal .....which is understandable. :rolleyes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Whilst you may think it's OK to call me a pervert & put a smiley next to it.....I don't.

I would've have paid big money to completely illustrate my point about "The monkey see....the monkey do" mentality here sometimes....... & a monkey does it for free ;)

Thankyou Monkey Lord for agreeing with your mentor ,Staff member TBT......I guess being labelled a pervert could have been worse ....at least I'm not Welsh ,12 & suicidal .....which is understandable. :rolleyes:

actually some of your comments are wrong im not suicidal or welsh i only live in wales and TBT is not my mentor as i have been (if this was a school) told of by TBT a few times

and actually BHM i dont think it is right to call only you a pervert or anythin else unless we comment on other people and let them comment on us

p.s i will be borrowing the monkey see thing

and if want to make it like a school we could have a detention room!

whenever someone lets their swearing get out of hand they go to the detention room wich will have one staff member at all time to make sure they dont have fun!

Edited by Monkey Lord 5000

This thread has the potential of getting very out of hand very soon. For now I suggest we continue to police ourselves but try to moderate our language. Don't get me wrong. I love swearing, the more inventive the better, but there is a time and a place for it and I personally feel this public forum isn't the place. If any moderator takes exception to the use of a swearword then it's up to that moderator to deal with it. If a member feels that someone's language is going too far then please use the report button and a member of staff will look into it.

If anyone wants to have a friendly dig at another member then please make sure that you are on very good terms with that member, and know that they're going to take the dig in the spirit intended. If you're not sure, don't post it.

Finally... Monkeylord am I correct in thinking you're only 11 years old? Do your parents know you're posting on this board?

[quote name='Rad'

Finally... Monkeylord am I correct in thinking you're only 11 years old? Do your parents know you're posting on this board?

actually im 12 my parents are fine with me doing this!

This smurfin' talk reminds me of the SpongeBob episode, "Sailor Mouth". Spongebob & Patrick learn some cuss words off of the dumpster and use these "sentence enhancers" to spice up a conversation! :lol:

I love that *dolphin chirp* episode. It's *bull-horn* brilliant.

Thanks for the good words Rad, although all it made me want to do was hit the report button on your post.

Like many of you, I am now/have been a member of many online discussion boards, all the way back to the horrid newsgroups. So many of the sites out there in inter-web-land, that I have visited, NEED filters and constant Mod attention. Some of the worst sites for flaming, rude photos, rude comments, & downright nasty behavior, are sites visited mostly by "adults".

This place has always been visited by great people with all kinds of different personalities, from all different kinds of places, with all different kinds of interests. Of the things we all have in common besides a love of Minimates, is an attitude of respect for others. Also, I think everyone comes here with the idea in the back of their mind that we collect a toy and young folks may read what we post. That shows the character of our membership.

Yes, occassionally, someone says or posts something that rubs another the wrong way. It is bound to happen and I am amazed it doesn't happen more often, but it doesn't really. The membership here is outstanding in many ways.

All that said, if a word filter is something the majority wants, we are open to it.

I think we just all need to monitor ourseles a tad bit more. Not anyone in particular but just as a whole. Take it from the guy who posted a smurfin bad word as a topic; I've learned it's all just a level of maturity...those are my couple o cents

Edited by entertheninja!

Language filters aren't the way to go IMO. When fans of Batman can't list Nightwing's 1st name in their post without creative spelling, there's a problem. When people cannot say 'an airplane pilot sits in the cockpit' without using a zero instead of an 'O' there's a problem.

Language filters aren't the way to go IMO. When fans of Batman can't list Nightwing's 1st name in their post without creative spelling, there's a problem. When people cannot say 'an airplane pilot sits in the cockpit' without using a zero instead of an 'O' there's a problem.

Or, and I like this one, people change Frelling into the full on F bomb because they don't like Farscape and are trying to get you to "grow up".

Personal experience? What is this you speak of?

Or, and I like this one, people change Frelling into the full on F bomb because they don't like Farscape and are trying to get you to "grow up".

What?!? What kind of Drin is that?

This thread reminds me of the skit on Robot Chicken with BSG and all of their psuedo-cuss words and the censors aren't sure if they should censor or not.

Haha!! you just reminded me of that; i can hardly go a day on YouTube without watching that; it's one of my favorite Robot "skits."

"Who jarked off in my coffee?!?!" God, Tigh was great in that... :blush:

What?!? What kind of Drin is that?

This thread has just gone fahrbot, if you ask me.