UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Family-friendly board or not?

buttheadsmate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a parent of 9-year-olds, both of which are interested in Minimates, I don't let them watch over my shoulder when I'm on the board. The language here is unpredictable and there are other things I'd rather them not see (Webhead's animated signature comes to mind). That's just how I am as a parent-I like to keep them innocent as long as possible.

Rob, I suppose a bigger question to me,is why you're questioning it? Is it just to discuss or do you really feel it's an issue?

Edited by groundhog7s

A valid question GH. My thread is in response to Rad's comments in another thread but in all honesty I was stung recently when one of my posts was censored . I apologised to the staff member who censored it without question & since then I've been a bit more careful . I think there are others that need to be a bit more careful if we are to assume that there is now a legion of youngsters reading. My 'stuff' is often near the knuckle & brimfull of 'double entendre' but I would genuinely be horrified if I was thought of as being actively offensive . This isn't about me however this is about what you guys think & your response GH is quite pertinent.

I don't cuss. Period. I've been bad and let a word slip here or there (aside from

Hell

which I probably shouldn't use) But I hope people notice for the most part that I just plain out don't use bad language on the whole. And you will never, EVER catch me using the F bomb. (again, wtf doesn't count)

I'd like to apologize for where I've failed and let bad language slip. It's not how I was raised.

I'm one of the older members here and I have a 6 year old daughter. Obviously she's not on the internet yet. I'm also a teacher of middle school students and I know how 13 year olds talk. Personally, I don't think it's so bad to use the occasional swear / curse to emphasize a point. If everything you post has cursing in it, then maybe you need to expand your vocabulary.

I would hope that any parent of a 13 year old member here would at least monitor what they're reading every now and then. If not, they shouldn't have their kids on the net. I don't think anyone younger than 13 should be online unsupervised anyway, or at least there should be some kind of software to limit access.

Some people come here to blow off steam, and that's cool. I'm not here to be a role model, but I also don't want to be a bad influence either.

As for BHM's jokes - keep 'em coming! I don't think you've ever crossed a line and I enjoy the quick wit you have.

I really hope that the board is not swinging to G rated. I agree with the points made by Hulk197, although I don't think that it's wise to call TBT! out on this part.

If everything you post has cursing in it, then maybe you need to expand your vocabulary.

:) PG13 would be ok but I think that "family friendly" would be pushing it. If cursing is banned then someone will have to pretty much delete the thread dealing with TRU BE/MS debacle.

(again, wtf doesn't count)

By the way, I'm curious how that doesn't count (or any other acronym one might use to avoid saying a word but still implying it). Really, I'm just curious.

I'm not sure it doesn't "count" because it has a really really bad word in it, perse, more like it's become it's own expression in of itself, so rather than standing for an acronym it is its own work that 8 year old pass around without think and sometimes even knowledge of it's meaning. That was what I meant by that. The evolution of words, like Cool meaning Neat, or another example that I can't think of.

WTCHOP

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Well, Gaia Online has a feature that gives you the option of filtering out swear words, so maybe it could be implemented here? That way the people who don't want to see curse words won't see them, and the people who aren't bothered by it will see them. To those who don't want to see it, the words would appear as ***** or something.

I'll admit to having been guilty of a couple of my own f-bombs (both the regular, the "WTF" and the kinda-more-sanitized "frak!" variety) right here on the board :sweat: Usually though I (and possibly - hopefully - many others of us here) only resort to the "language" when we're expressing some particularly intense or virulent opinion about something. It's not always a healthy practice, though there is some sort of "subconscious reflex" to it that just goes to show how candid and expressive we can be as members of a toy forum.

Examples:

"Moonstone's a TRU exclusive? WTF!"

"OMG, that's <BEEP!> hilarious."

"Dude, either post something helpful or shut the **** up."

Personally I don't mind outright swearing as long as it's kept to a bare minimum and not done irresponsibly, meanwhile as always we should just watch what we type and learn to practice our own self-censorship every now and then. Meanwhile, for the benefit of anyone who does find swearing just plain inappropriate I'll gladly support Dio's swear filter idea, though I know MMMV kinda already has one and it just needs to be maintained/updated by the mods.

Maybe we should have a random word generator for a swear filter? That'd be fun. :D

Several months from now:

"They're making Banshee/Sunfire a one-per-case TRU exclusive?! MITTENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm down with that :P

I'd rather see a swear-filter that changes all curse words to the word 'smurf'.

WTS!?!

I was a member of a board that did that exact thing. I didn't even realize it until one day I was talking about my favorite Bond movies, and one of them got posted as "Smurfy Galore". :lol:

This place was never meant to be rated G, but I'd like to think a kid could come here and not learn any words they didn't already know. Filters have never been put into place because the membership here tends to be on a maturity level that just hasn't warranted it.

I use the word "maturity" loosely... :P

Personally, I would like to see this board as completely family-friendly, which would mean the removal of most of the posters!

To be more serious, I think the swearing we do see on here is mostly done for emphasis rather than being hostile, which makes it more palatable to the Mods. I would still like to see less of that, though, even if I can understand the use.