UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Family-friendly board or not?

buttheadsmate

Replace every instance of a swear word here with the word "Fudge". Fudge makes everything better.

Or you can replace every swear word with "Kang!", that way we appease the moral guardians AND implant the subliminal suggestion needed for DST to release him in Wave 34.

Problem solved.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you can replace every swear word with "Kang!", that way we appease the moral guardians AND implant the subliminal suggestion needed for DST to release him in Wave 34.

The best part of that suggestion is that for the most part, no one would notice, since Kang is almost always brought up in conversation.

The best part of that suggestion is that for the most part, no one would notice, since Kang is almost always brought up in conversation.

Might as well be worth a try, since the "super-liminal" suggestions don't seem to be taking effect:

"Hey DST, make Kang!"

"Hmmm, intriguing. We'll think about it."

(yet ;))

Personally, I would like to see this board as completely family-friendly, which would mean the removal of most of the posters!

To be more serious, I think the swearing we do see on here is mostly done for emphasis rather than being hostile, which makes it more palatable to the Mods. I would still like to see less of that, though, even if I can understand the use.

I agree that I'd like to see less swearing. I realize I'm in the minority, but hey, there it is.

Though isn't the Minimates.com site going to be kid friendly?

Replace every instance of a swear word here with the word "Fudge". Fudge makes everything better.

Problem solved.

Unfortunately ,in certain quarters, in the UK the word 'fudge' when placed in front of the word 'packer' is offensive to certain.....er..groups...of....er.....like-minded males :blush:

Kang is fine.

Not a big fan of swearing. Never have been. Like TM2 Dinobot, it's just how I was raised, and how I'm raising my boys. Sorry, you can't call the board family-friendly with Webhead's sig being okay. It says more than an F-bomb. That's not a complaint, it does not affend me at all, but then like the other poster, I don't let me 8 y/o son read this board over my shoulder. I'm not advocating a crack down, the Staff on this board do a good job IMO of keeping anything from swearing to outright hate to acceptable levels. But please don't try and claim family-friendly with a soft-core sig showing up regularly. (although she does look friendly... )

Honestly, speaking from the 16-year old perspective, i have absolutely no problem with any of the things we say here; heck, one of the most fun things about this place are the nonsensical, outrageous, and overall inappropriateness of some of our comments. It adds a little bit of flavor to the board, and makes it feel like we really do all know each other like a family and not just a bunch of toy collectors ranting and raving on why we don't have some guy in a green suit with a blue face or a return of the 10-pack featuring everyone's favorite red-headed, psychic, cosmically-powered looney-mutie. It's actually us being who we really are; should we have to censor our true selves for the sake of a toy and the occasional 10-year-old who just got a new computer and this is the first thing he signs up for??

The swearing never is a bother to me; for the longest, and i mean LONGEST time i was the most pure-worded person you could know. and then one day i just decided "You know what?? Smurf this piece of smurf!! I'll smurfin cuss as much as i want." Oddly enough i still rarely do...shows how much i want to. My basic thought?? Let the board run as it may in the way it does now, with words and phrases (not to mention many of our topics often started mid-thread and by BHM. ;)) censored. Let us be who we are. If it becomes too out of control and every other post is a swear word then yes, by all means should it be smurfin stopped. Just let it play out for now.

Note this is just for WORDS AND PHRASES. Pictures, videos, and i guess audio that is inappropriate or otherwise not usually tolerated by society (except FOX...) should be in no way permitted. That is all in bad taste.

EDIT: Of course, this is in no means to imply that Web head'ss sig should be torn down; i'm sure we all (except NR...maybe...;)) find ourselves staring at that for a few second out of the day. I know i've grown to live with it.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

So I'm going to throw my 2 pennies into the pot...

I think that we keep a pretty good balance between what is generally accepted as 'family friendly' without it becoming so censored or locked down that people are frightened to post. One of the things that this place has proven is that with members who treat the place like they want to spend time here and respect it you really do not need a language filter.

It's my opinion that as long as it's not overused/abused then it's acceptable as it is the exception rather than the rule and that is used as an exclaimation rather than an insult!

Examples:

What the SMURF! DST made Kang a one per case TRU exclusive!!! = OK

SMURF you DST for being SMURFS and making Kang SMURFING impossible to find! = NOT OK

Webheads Sig is a bit of a tough one, it's been here for a long time without anyone complaining. However I do see that a parent could see it and assume we are a bunch of perverts (and not just BHM!) and stop their kid from coming here.

T.

P.S. I consider someone saying WTF the same as swearing, it's an abreviation and when I read it I expand it to it's full so it contains the word SMURF!

Yeah I learned about the language thing the hard way and most of you were relativley nice in pointing out my mistake and I agree. I think a PG-13 board is possible unlike a G board. I think it's all just in controlling ourselves and having a certain level of maturity...I think whenever anyone says a curse word you should just use an element from the periodic tble...HYDROGEN I spelled table wrong

My issue with Webhead's sig (and a few other re-occuring pictures) isn't just my kids, it's my wife. I asked once who it was in the picture just so I'd at least know who it is and be able to give some kind of non-chalant answer if she ever sees it and asked. But, like the language issue, I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

My issue with Webhead's sig (and a few other re-occuring pictures) isn't just my kids, it's my wife. I asked once who it was in the picture just so I'd at least know who it is and be able to give some kind of non-chalant answer if she ever sees it and asked. But, like the language issue, I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

Have you thought about shooting Webhead a friendly PM and explaining why you have an issue with it, He's a pretty reasonable guy and might take it down if you ask nicely?

T.

................... and assume we are a bunch of perverts (and not just BHM!) and stop their kid from coming here.

So it's OK to call someone a pervert ......thanks for the concise clarification :rolleyes:

No it's ok to call YOU a pervert :biggrin:

Ok point taken, but considering some of the backhanded references you've made to other members I would consider this very pot and kettle! - as I'm sure you are aware a huge difference between the gentle ribbing between members and openly insulting someone.

T.

The T42 position on this is: Yeah, I would like the random-word generator because it's smurfing hilarious. As for me, I personally don't gove a smurf about swear words. I get it enough it doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Trekker 42

Is this going to turn into the 7 dirty words you can't say on the Minimate Multiverse skit :lol: As others have said, this board seems to find a balance when it comes to things. I'm other boards that woulld have parents asking congress for a sub committee of human decency to investigate them. I actually didn't realize how young some of the members are and I'm actually surprised at how old some of the other members are :D In regards to signatures, why not disable them like I have? I try to do this in just about every board I belong to, not because of content, but because most are just so oversized and obnoxious. That being said, I don't want this to turn into kanging contest with the staff either. I think it's fair easier to play Monday morning quarterback when you aren't sitting in the big chair ;)

Have you thought about shooting Webhead a friendly PM and explaining why you have an issue with it, He's a pretty reasonable guy and might take it down if you ask nicely?

T.

Let me clarify what I mean. Just because I have an issue with something doesn't mean I'm going to ask someone else to change their view to accomodate me. There are lots and lots of things that offend me in life on a personal level, but that's the way the world is. I have an issue with the language on this board, I have an issue with some of the 'boy's locker room' mentallity of some of the conversation, I have an issue with some of the more provocative pictures shown, I have issues with other things here. But, I accept I am in the minority and I accept my place as that. Obviously, like the case with one of entertheninja's threads, if I feel it crosses the line of basic human respect I'm going to speak my opinion. Otherwise, I accept it's my choice to come to this board and be a part of this community. Part of being in this community is knowing there are going to be more liberal opinions and that they seem to be more of the majority. I just don't think it's right to ask anyone to bow down to my particular beliefs on subjects. I will state my opinions when appropriate (like in this thread) or when asked, but is it really my place to ask someone to change to that? I personally don't think so.

And I do agree that Webhead is a reasonable guy (although I don't like his smurfing sig).

In regards to signatures, why not disable them like I have?

So, that's an option? Well, you learn something everyday.

................... and assume we are a bunch of perverts (and not just BHM!) and stop their kid from coming here.

So it's OK to call someone a pervert ......thanks for the concise clarification :rolleyes:

No it's ok to call YOU a pervert :biggrin:

Ok point taken, but considering some of the backhanded references you've made to other members I would consider this very pot and kettle! - as I'm sure you are aware a huge difference between the gentle ribbing between members and openly insulting someone.

T.

I am considering the accusation that I've made any 'backhanded references' but I can't think of any actually...... perhaps you'll elaborate.

Whilst you may think it's OK to call me a pervert & put a smiley next to it.....I don't.

(again, wtf doesn't count)

By the way, I'm curious how that doesn't count (or any other acronym one might use to avoid saying a word but still implying it). Really, I'm just curious.

... The evolution of words, like Cool meaning Neat, or another example that I can't think of.

WTCHOP

this one raised an eyebrow with me too, if the implication is there... it still counts in my book, shirley. Oh, and if anything, all these abbreviations n' what not... in my books, thats the devolution of words!

Unfortunately ,in certain quarters, in the UK the word 'fudge' when placed in front of the word 'packer' is offensive to certain.....er..groups...of....er.....like-minded males :blush:

really? which quarters? i've lived in a few, and thats lightweight, by anyone's standards.

T.

Nooooooooo!

In all seriousness, as much as I do 'enjoy' his sig, I understand this completely... can take a little explaining if someone happens to be peering over your shoulder.

On the swearing, frankly there is no need. I've no problem with swearing, if someone just been severely annoyed or bashed themselves or something silly, and it just pops out... i'd be Captain Hypocrite to criticise. However, I don't think anyone could manage to accidently type out a specific word, then hit the post button. Its not big, and its not clever... perhaps funny (perhaps), but not necessary.

I am considering the accusation that I've made any 'backhanded references' but I can't think of any actually...... perhaps you'll elaborate.

Whilst you may think it's OK to call me a pervert & put a smiley next to it.....I don't.

Wow Aren't we mr grumpy smurf today... seriously Rob lighten the smurf up!

As for references... If someone else wants to go read all 4000 of them and tell me you havent made a single comment that was derogatory towards another member then they should feel free, I'm smurfed if I'm doing it!

T.

Wow Aren't we mr grumpy smurf today... seriously Rob lighten the smurf up!

As for references... If someone else wants to go read all 4000 of them and tell me you havent made a single comment that was derogatory towards another member then they should feel free, I'm smurfed if I'm doing it!

T.

Derogatory perhaps .....never backhanded.

I'll contact NorthRaider she's a wiz at this sort of thing :D