UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Avengers Writer Warns New Movie Might Suck

Mirymate

Saw this and thought I'd share with the class.

I'm more concerned that the guy who let X-3 get into such an overcrowded mess is writing the Avengers. And that he wanted more folks in in the X-mess.

Hopes go from good down to watchable.

Considering that it hasn't been written yet, I'm going to wait and see.

I agree with Luke314pi, though. Favreau would do a good job directing. Here's hoping for that.

Edited by Nekoi

Tickets at my theatre are already $10 :<

ditto.

the article spelled his name wrong. zak penn wrote the early drafts of the script for "the incredible hulk", which is what they ended up using aside from some minor changes from edward norton, from what I understand. and I thought that was a damn good movie, at least "every bit as good as ironman" :D

he also wrote and directed "the grand", which is a great movie.

Here's what worries me- A team action movie is like a triangle. You've got characterization, action, and story. You can only get two done well. And the more chracters you add, the harder that gets. The last two X-films seemed more concerned with adding a ton of characters and cameos than telling a tight story. And this writer wanted to add more, even an FF cameo. This worries me, I don't want them to get lost in the idea of playing with this new crossover toy.

Here's what worries me- A team action movie is like a triangle. You've got characterization, action, and story. You can only get two done well. And the more chracters you add, the harder that gets. The last two X-films seemed more concerned with adding a ton of characters and cameos than telling a tight story. And this writer wanted to add more, even an FF cameo. This worries me, I don't want them to get lost in the idea of playing with this new crossover toy.

yeah, good point miry.

yeah that would suck. if it's a movie dealing with the birth of the avengers, then the last thing you want is random assloads of heroes coming in and making things more hectic.

yeah, good point miry.

yeah that would suck. if it's a movie dealing with the birth of the avengers, then the last thing you want is random assloads of heroes coming in and making things more hectic.

Sub-Mariner,Ant-Man,Wasp,Hulk,Thor,Captain America , Iron-Man & Rick Jones would be considered an ass-load of heroes ......all feature in the birth of the Avengers. Things will change in the movie no doubt.

• 5 months later...

I think that guy could do a very good job. He was great in what little I've seen him in. He has a good look for Hawkeye, and can definitely pull off the cocky, bad-ass attitude. Certainly a step up from Chris O'Donnell.

Far more concerned they are tossing the "Ultimate" term around than any qualms with the actor. Much, much rather see Hawkeye the justifiably cocky archer over Hawkeye the Punisher.

I know very little about Ultimates Hawkeye, but if he's like Punisher in any significant way, then I'm not sure I would have much interest in him.

If the Marvel guys think that Hawkeye's purple outfit is silly looking, I wonder how they plan on approaching Captain America and Thor, then? Iron Man is sort of excusable looking like his comic counterpart, because he's basically in a machine. But can you do Captain America without his trademark look? They kept Spidey in his suit and the audience didn't complain.

I seem to perceive Ultimate Hawkeye as more of a Punisher/Bullseye hybrid, complete with angsty backstory.

I just know there's an effective way to strike a balance between distinctive yet silly-looking tights and costumes (i.e. Adam West Batman and Smallville's JSA :blink:) and utilitarian yet hohum-looking leather uniforms (i.e. the X-Men movies). Speaking as a contemporary movie viewer, to me the ideal translation of a comic-book costume would lie somewhere between Nolan's Batman and Watchmen.

Edited by NorthRaider

Wow. Really really hope they don't go the Ultimates route with this movie. If they do, I can't really see myself seeing it, as I have absolutely no interest in the Ultimates. Tried the book multiple times, but I hated all of the characters, and in my opinion, that really makes it hard to enjoy any story with them in it. Unfortunately, Ultimates seems to be the direction Marvel wants to take it. Oh well, guess some of the fans of the Ultimates will like it, but for a classic Avengers fan like me, this isn't the Avengers movie I've been waiting for. Hopefully they'll surprise me, but I have my doubts.

I read the first couple of Ultimates TPBs, and wasn't blown away. It was an OK, "Elseworlds" kind of tale, but nothing special in the era of the post-modern comic book. I don't necessarily mind the film producers taking some inspiration from the Ultimates here and there, though. The Ultimates was apparently meant, in part, to be a slightly more "realistic" interpretation of these stories and characters, and so it makes sense that the film (based in reality) would take some nods from this kind of comic.

However, if you fundamentally change Hawkeye into a mass killer (again, I don't know much about his Ultimates incarnation--just looking at descriptions of him as Punisher and Bullseye), then that would be a shame in my opinion. Stick to the core of the original 616 characters, I say. Hawkeye is an archer--he shoots a bow and arrow, not guns--he's arrogant and headstrong but with some insecurity issues, understandably so given that he's just a talented guy on a team with gods, machine men, roided up war heroes, mutants, and robots. That sort of thing drives him as a character. Making him some cooler than school, glorified hitman or whatever he is in the Ultimates-verse doesn't sit too well with me. But you wanna take away the awesome purple outfit, I can live with that.

Edited by karamazov80

Okay, Ult Hawkeye in a nutshell-

Clint Barton is an Olympic Archery gold medalist and pro trick shooter, with a wife and a few kids. He's recruited into SHIELD, and then transfered to the Ultimates. Hawkeye uses a bow and trick arrows, but in general is more professional than his 616 counterpart, and less flamboyantly dressed. (simple utilitarian leather costume) But over the course of his Ultimate career, the Chameleon kills Clint's family (disguised as Cap, just to make it extra bad). Hawkeye quits using bows for the most part after that, and just shoots people with guns. And starts dressing like Wildstorm's Grifter without the overcoat.

Okay, Ult Hawkeye in a nutshell-

Clint Barton is an Olympic Archery gold medalist and pro trick shooter, with a wife and a few kids. He's recruited into SHIELD, and then transfered to the Ultimates. Hawkeye uses a bow and trick arrows, but in general is more professional than his 616 counterpart, and less flamboyantly dressed. (simple utilitarian leather costume) But over the course of his Ultimate career, the Chameleon kills Clint's family (disguised as Cap, just to make it extra bad). Hawkeye quits using bows for the most part after that, and just shoots people with guns. And starts dressing like Wildstorm's Grifter without the overcoat.

Actually it wasn't The Chameleon. It was

Black Widow

and Loki made said character look like Cap. We have yet to see Ultimate Chameleon. And honestly, I don't know why, but I think he should be a black guy, Mostly because we have yet to see that many black Supervillains in the Ultimate Universe. Honestly... I don't immediately recall ANY. So Chameleon would work well as a black guy I think... I don't know though.

And yeah, as that aforementioned character is showing up in an upcoming Marvel Movie, and as Abomination survived and Loki is likely to survive (the actor also kinda looks like Ultimate Loki) I think that you can get a bit of an Ultimates 2 vibe from this movie. At least I can. And as I LOVED Ultimates 2, I say BRING IT ON!