UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New TRU Marvel Wave Due Out Soon?

fwoosheyman

Thankfully the restock of stuff at my TRU today included these so I didn't have to fight my impatience and the probability that said impatience would cause me to order these on the website. I really like the Gambit and the Deadpool and the WW2 Wolverine great too. While I don't care about the BD Wolverine at least he is a new minimates rather than repackaged.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I totally missed that there was a second wave of the Wolverine MM coming out. Now that I see there are only four new figures out the the series, I am not surprised I missed it. I grabbed the two sets to add to my collection.

I need to share a story from last week. I lack of work at the moment and children's school schedule allowed me the rare opportunity to hit the local Toys R Us when it opened last Friday. As with most TRU's around the country, it usually gets a truck in on Thursday and the new stuff is out Friday morning. So there I am, pulling into the parking lot at ten till ten not sure what to expect. Store employees have long sworn up and down there are in their words "grown men" who show up everyday when the store opens and cleans them out of collectibles. And there they were, hanging around their cars. I was expecting a pair of standard out-of-central-casting comics guys. And sure enough, they were there. With 6 of their friends. That's right 8 grown men sitting around their cars, smoking cigarettes, and laughing with each other. One broke out a bag of donuts and was passing them around. Clearly this was not a spur of the moment meet up. Now they were not the only people in the parking lot. There were a couple of mothers with small children, and one other toy collector besides me. He amused me as well, because the sight of the breakfast club clearly made him nervous as he kept watching them, without trying to look like he was watching them.

Anyway, the Breakfast Club positioned themselves to go in first and split up with military precision when they opened the store. Now three of them were clearly Hot Wheels collectors. Been playing this game long enough I pretty much pegged them as such on sight. The HW guys headed right to their aisle and stayed there. The remaining five headed split up and hit the Star Wars, Lego, and Transformer sections first. Which worked for me, as this TRU still keeps all the mates with the Marvel stuff. No new mates. But I did score a Crimson Dynamo for my kids. Which lead to my next moment of amusement.

So one of the Breakfast Club rounds the corner and starts working through the Marvel pegs. Me, my youngest's birthday is next month, so I'm looking at SHS command centers and talking Iron Man trucks and the like. But I've got a HTF figure under my arm. This clearly confused my aisle-mate as he kept staring a hole in the Dynamo, then looking quizzically at me. Then he started shadowing me as I looked at Power Rangers, Kamen Riders, and the like. I really think he was planning on grabbing the Dynamo and making a break for it if I'd absent mindedly set him down. Either that of he has a thing for graying fur-faced fat guys. They all gathered about two carts worth of stuff, and headed for the door after about a half hour. Except for the Hot Wheels guys... they were still there, arguing with each other and a poor long suffering employee when I left. Apparently something was mispackaged and there was a rather loud debate about it. Why the poor stock girl had to be there for it I'm not sure. But I do know the store was throughly worked over and I can only guess what all they left with. I had a chance to speak with the manager, (no I didn't seek him out, but he shouldn't have asked if there was "anything I could help you with, sir?" if he didn't want me to respond somehow) and he told me that at least 3 of them are there every single day they're open, but the whole crew only shows up on Fridays. So apparently I got to see the whole floor show. Lucky me.

And I was a little lucky that day. I scored the Dynamo, an Imaginext Joker Van and some other stuff for the kids, and finally found a TFU Inferno for myself. But clearly I lack the commitment that these guys have for the hobby. I, it seems, really must have finally gotten that life that everyone kept directing me to back in the day.

Which is my long winded way of saying I will likely need the kindness of boardies again when Molecule Man and Warpath come out.

Great story, Miry. I have long heard of these people you speak of, particularly the Hot Wheels guys, but I've yet to see them myself. When I can get over, I usually head in there around 6:30 pm, so I will see a stray "collector" amongst the parents and kiddies, but never anything involving an organized group of them.

I guess they don't work? Or maybe they only take jobs where their schedules allow them their daily TRU attack? Why everyday, if the truck comes in once a week, anyway? Do they sometimes stock later? In any case, I would love to see a serious sociological take on this. There probably is an article or two out there.

As for the exclusives, in the long run even the Bullseye packs got pretty cheap. But if I can get 2 packs of Angel/Warpath packs, I won't keep the second Warpath (I will keeps me some extra Angels, though :woot: )

I have tried trading with people on here that have extra sets of em, but have not heard back from anyone. Then again some people are asking quite a bit in trade for them on here. I remember back in the day when that wasn't the case. People would sell them for whatever they paid and then a few extra bucks to ship. I know that's how I and a lot of old members like TBT and Shanester used to be. Anyone remember when I got these for members and charged what I paid each, plus shipping?[

Try not to get discouraged. There ARE people on here worth talking to that still do the whole "retail plus shipping". They're cool cats and have helped me out a number of times.

You may have a point, Battlecat. Perhaps I should think first before judging these people.

I should note that though I have had many bad things to say about TRU employees in the past, last week I called and dealt was an extremely helpful, honest, and friendly person. A rarity to be sure at my TRU.

[

Try not to get discouraged. There ARE people on here worth talking to that still do the whole "retail plus shipping". They're cool cats and have helped me out a number of times.

Seconded - try to keep your chin up, bro! As an Aussie collector - i pretty much rely on the kindness of (relative) strangers on the board to help me avoid eBay scalpers. So far i have made 2 great connections on here - 1 in particular who picks up stuff for me from TRU & only charges me cost + shipping. (He knows who he is. epic thanx :)).

Another member helped me out with an item that would only ship to the US, by letting me use his address and then he forwarded the item to me.

I'm always impressed by the willingness of guys (& girls) to help out here.

You may have a point, Battlecat. Perhaps I should think first before judging these people.

I should note that though I have had many bad things to say about TRU employees in the past, last week I called and dealt was an extremely helpful, honest, and friendly person. A rarity to be sure at my TRU.

Just to clarify, I'm sure there are plenty of unhelpful jerks that deserve our judgement :), but some of the TRU employees described in various Multiversers' accounts sound more "dazed" than anything, which Mirymate's post may explain.

Here, north of the TRU minimate border, I've only had one experience with their employees, and they were polite and helpful. Now if we could just get the minimates up here for them to help me find!

If there are any packaging completists - the re-released packs are slightly different in this wave - the backs have a different image

:(:rolleyes:

I havent checked the minimates yet so I'm not sure if there are any differences on them - the difference on the packaging is the backs show which minimates were included with this assortment

Just to clarify, I'm sure there are plenty of unhelpful jerks that deserve our judgement :), but some of the TRU employees described in various Multiversers' accounts sound more "dazed" than anything, which Mirymate's post may explain.

I believe the accurate term is "high."

I guess they don't work? Or maybe they only take jobs where their schedules allow them their daily TRU attack? Why everyday, if the truck comes in once a week, anyway? Do they sometimes stock later? In any case, I would love to see a serious sociological take on this. There probably is an article or two out there.

Raleigh North Carolina is a very college town, heck we've got three major universities within a half hours drive of each other. And the 5 non HW guys in the crew all looked like they came right off a campus somewhere. Which explains the lack of job, and the excess of spending money.

Hot Wheels guys, at least locally, stand out like sore thumbs among regular collectors. In general, they are tradesmen, and look the part. There was at least one of the three from last week that was a plumber. Being self employed would allow you to arrange your schedule so that there would be no trouble making a toy run on Fridays.

Raleigh North Carolina is a very college town,

and the home to Jay & Jack of LOST podcast fame. Great story btw, I could see the whoe thing play out in my head using a Salt Lake City location.. I have never seen anything that organized.. I ran into Ivan once getting ghostbuster mates and it was very civil. :biggrin:

I must confess something.. I was at a TRU about a 40 minute drive north of where I live last week.. it has been my fall back store when all others are sold out on these recent mini waves.. I was holding two new sets in hand when a young boy saw them in my hands and called to his brother, "LOOK!! cool new lego guys!!".. I responded in a nice voice.. "oh, these are way different from legos".. they immediately lost interest and continued to go through their hulk action figures in a frenzy.. I know it is good to spread the message and increase interest in the line.. but at that moment all I could think of is more competition in scoring the next wave of hard to get figures from TRU. Sorry gang, I feel like I let down the Mini-Code.

Vox

Toysrus.com has the new battle Damaged Wolverine/Gambit and also the other set with the final battle Deadpool for sale. Check it out and save yourself some gas money and pick them up online.

Make sure to search for "Dead Pool" on this one – TRU has it listed in this goofy way in their system...