UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Should DST consider unlicensed minimates?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely a must, and a great way to get DST to star "branching out" more than they already are. And i need Zombies to feast and Civvies to be feasted upon. :P

I like Trekkers' Greek Mythos idea A LOT. I'm a huge reader of anything Greek mythology, ever since my Dad got me a very adult book specifically titled "Mythology." I'd buy it up in a heartbeat.

Not much demand, Matt'n'Chuck?? I think not.

That would be Pantone . post-638-1242336776_thumb.jpg

They make gummy-mates now?

Seriously, so what you want, T, is for MiniMates to try and compete with Playmobile and Legos. Gotta be honest, I don't see the lego town stuff or Playmobile stuff exactly flying off the shelves. (of course, I don't see much flying off the shelves that doesn't end in "gon" but that's another issue). I'd love some army guys, cops, and thugs to interact with the MiniMates, but I'm not sure that segment of the market is strong enough for another major player, especially one only offering figures only without the sets that Playmobile and lego offer.

(although I did see a Playmobile Roman Colloseum, complete with lions and a victim. Oh the wacky fun you can recreate with that one!)

Edited by Mirymate

i've never got into the notion of army-building, as... being a student, i can barely afford the mates i want in the first place. So having a figure packed with the variant like Marvel are now doing is lost on me.

However, should they ever make they ever make 4/5 packs of cops or criminals/goons/bank robbers (sterotypical fellas in black and white would be wonderful!) i'd buy 2 or 3 of each, guaranteed.

As for zombies... i'd get every pack I could get my hands on, literally.

Plus... imagine how low the production costs for these sets would be

Sure! Unlicensed minimates would rock. Especially TBT's zombie minimates suggestion. Imagine a whole slew of the undead plauging everyones minimate collection.

"Brains."

zombie.JPG

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Maybe a four pack that is packaged like the BTTF ones but with 4 zombies and a slew of zombie slaying accessories like pistol (stolen from 24 boxset), shotgun (stolen from T2 or Spirit box), chainsaw (stolen from Duff), swords, an ax, the possibilities are nearly endless. COME ON DST WE BUY THE SPIDEY VARIANTS DON'T WE?

I've been thinking about it, and one thing that an unlicensed Minimate would have going for it is all the licensed stuff that is already out there. Sure, you could buy a bag of generic army men pretty cheaply, but those guys don't have an in-scale Spider-Man to pal around with.

That being said, I still think that it would take a pretty low sales price for this dream to even be possible. There's just already too much generic stuff out there that sells for cheap. As is, a set of two Minimate paramedics with a few accessories would run somewhere in a similar price range as a Lego paramedic with an ambulance.

I see Stikfas as something of a cautionary tale for this. They took a great run at making generic, highly-customizable figures for just about every genre you can think of. They tried several channels of distribution, from mass market to online retail to direct sales. They had a loyal, vocal fanbase. Yet they never really caught fire.

I'm not sure what the magical secret for Minimates is, but licensed properties seems to be the only difference between those two scenarios.

That being said, I still think that it would take a pretty low sales price for this dream to even be possible. There's just already too much generic stuff out there that sells for cheap. As is, a set of two Minimate paramedics with a few accessories would run somewhere in a similar price range as a Lego paramedic with an ambulance.

I hadn't thought about that. lol maybe it's because they'd be more generic, or less interesting than a kang/black knight two-pack, that'd they cost less to make or produce? or is that just my mentality? haha

still though, how many people would buy multiples just so they could have a full-blown army? I would.

Edited by killcharlesdead

I see Stikfas as something of a cautionary tale for this. They took a great run at making generic, highly-customizable figures for just about every genre you can think of. They tried several channels of distribution, from mass market to online retail to direct sales. They had a loyal, vocal fanbase. Yet they never really caught fire.

I'm not sure what the magical secret for Minimates is, but licensed properties seems to be the only difference between those two scenarios.

I found the quality of the Stikfas marginal - which also may explain their limited appeal

Although I liked '24' Minimates they may as well have been 'just civilians' & they never really took off did they ? I was actually waiting for someone else to say that because of my reticence to 'slag them off' but I was always amazed at how the licence got made. The same actually goes for Platoon....there are your 'soldiers' but "we'll call them the Platoon box-set". If we were to get the 'Rescue Me' box-set then we'd have our firemen & 'ER' would give us our medics .......get my drift?

The one wish that I've always had for a generic set has always been astronauts .......'Capricorn One' perhaps !

DST perhaps could get the rights to the fictitious Apollo Moon-landing movie... the one with Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin in it :ohmy:

I like the idea of zombies, monsters and soldiers. You never know- it could be vastly more popular than expected.

The realist in me just doesn't see it happening while the licenses to Marvel (and others) are still active. If they should happen to expire without renewal, we may have a chance...

This is the wrong place to mention this, but while we're at it I want nude Minimates. Just skin colored blanks would be fine. But I would not object to a Victoria Secret Fashion Show set. :P

and the nomination for most creepy post of the year goes to....

This is the wrong place to mention this, but while we're at it I want nude Minimates. Just skin colored blanks would be fine. But I would not object to a Victoria Secret Fashion Show set. :P

Yep... remind me Never to trade for spare parts with him... God knows where they've been or what they've seen!! :blink:

T.

Yep... remind me Never to trade for spare parts with him... God knows where they've been or what they've seen!! :blink:

T.

*cough cough*

you might not want to trade parts with me ever either then

lol

T.

Hey, I'm not worse than Danny! :P

*cough cough*

you might not want to trade parts with me ever either then

lol

Noted. :)

Oi, that's harsh TM2!

I'm totally with you on a catwalk models Minimate set though. Maybe even a Sports Illustrated tie-in. Also BHM's astronauts idea is awesome.

PS: When I played City of Heroes I *did* have a catwalk model heroine who I named after a Victoria's Secret bra :D

Oi, that's harsh TM2!

I'm totally with you on a catwalk models Minimate set though. Maybe even a Sports Illustrated tie-in. Also BHM's astronauts idea is awesome.

PS: When I played City of Heroes I *did* have a catwalk model heroine who I named after a Victoria's Secret bra :D

Her name was Push-up?? You scare me somethimes, Danny...:P