UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Official Toy Fair 09 minimate news topic

Graham

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Ultimates are PERFECT! I never expected to get a whole wave, I woulda settled for a boxed set. I love you DST!

Also I read Ultimates and still don't know what the green stuff is. I guess it was explained in Ult Iron Man which I am yet to read.

Gambit looks great too and the Ghostbusters stuff looks like such great fun, exactly what Minimates should be.

I am disheartened that there were no BSG mates shown though . . .

Edited by Dan

*For the people who want to know what the green stuff that comes with Ultimate Iron Man*

There is a (fairly decent) novel called The Ultimates: Against all Enemies by Alex Irvine. It gives a great example of what it is and how it works when Iron Man takes off his armor.

All righty then. Here's a little nugget I dug up reading Wizard / Toyfare's NYTF '09 coverage. They pretty much confirm that our BTTF minimates are gonna fit in the Delorean. Read on...

"Possibly the coolest thing we've seen at Toy Fair so far is the "Back to the Future" Delorian. You can get your basic model with LED lights (including a light-up flux capacitor) in July with time traveling sounds, but that's not all. There will also be an exclusive (though exactly where is to be determined) flying version from "Back to the Future II," with flip-out wheels and the whole bit. Plus, it looks like you can fit some of your smaller figures in there. They'll be out in July."

What else could they be hinting at? Star Wars? G.I.Joe? They gotta mean minimates. Only time will tell I guess.

Check out this link for the rest of the article and some more pics of Ghostbusters and T2.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I donno... in the pic with the open door it looks like the steering wheel is touching the seat. I don't think you'll get anybody in there.

You will probably be able to put the torso, arms, and head in there, but will have to leave the crotch/legs out. That's how it works with some of the Transformers Alternators that I tried to fit Minimates into.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm unable to embed video here, but we have an interview with Matt Peck from DST at Toy Fair '09 regarding their newly unveild DeLorean Time Machines and what the future may hold for their BTTF Minimate line. Click on the photo below to be taken to the page where you can view the video...

21011-2.jpg

... so anybody care to hazard a guess at what the pack breakdown for wave 27 (Ultimates) might be?

I'm guessing that whoever the "random army guy" is (SHIELD, WW2 soldier, whatever...), he is obviously the army-builder to be packed with both WW2 Cap and present-day Cap.

The other four have me a bit stumped, but I'm fairly certain that Ultimate Nick Fury's gonna be packed with either Iron Man or Hulk. I'm leaning towards a Nick Fury/Iron Man pack, since I have a sinking feeling that Hulk might be the least-sought-after 'mate in this wave, and that his best chance is to be paired up with Ultimate Thor (which I'm POSITIVE people will be gunning for... or at least our local Thor completists here will).

... so anybody care to hazard a guess at what the pack breakdown for wave 27 (Ultimates) might be?

I'm guessing that whoever the "random army guy" is (SHIELD, WW2 soldier, whatever...), he is obviously the army-builder to be packed with both WW2 Cap and present-day Cap.

The other four have me a bit stumped, but I'm fairly certain that Ultimate Nick Fury's gonna be packed with either Iron Man or Hulk. I'm leaning towards a Nick Fury/Iron Man pack, since I have a sinking feeling that Hulk might be the least-sought-after 'mate in this wave, and that his best chance is to be paired up with Ultimate Thor (which I'm POSITIVE people will be gunning for... or at least our local Thor completists here will).

I bet that, being an Ultimates fan and somewhat an expert on the characters of all lines, the lineup will be this:

SHIELD/Cap

SHIELD/WWII Cap

Thor/Iron Man

Nick Fury/Hulk

Why? Well you nailed the SHIELD/Cap reason. The next thing to say is with Thor/Iron Man. These two are the closest friends of all of the Ultimates. Thor and Iron Man (until Ultimates 3 which really doesn't count as these are not based off of it) are thick as theives, best of freinds. And they complete the core Ultimates (as Giant Man is kicked out and Wasp is kinda put out of action a lot.)

Hulk is almost a villain in the Ultimates, an unpredictable force. And he gets a lot with Nick Fury. YOu could almost say that, in the Ultimates, the Hulk is Nick Fury's archenemy. Though Nick does not normally get in on action (unless he has to) he always sends people after the Hulk

And by Ultimate Power, Nick becomes untrustworthy. A villainish like Hulk was in Ultimates vol 1.

But mostly these two go together because it's what's left over after the perfect pair of Thor and Iron Man.

So this is my packings.

And I want a Hawkeye. An Ultimate Hawkeye as he was THE greatest Ultimate. Pair him with Black Widow and all that's left to finish the team is Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver and Wasp/Giant Man.

Then you get into villains. But I'd be happy with an Ultimate Magneto as he's my favorite villain ever.

I didn't see any discussion about the Wolvie Through the Ages box set. Sadly, I think this will be the first Marvel set I pass on. There were a number of more interesting ways to do this probably inevitable Wolvie box set. My lineup would have been:

Weapon X with helmet and tubes (still holding out hope this set will have these)

Feral Wolvie with bone claws (from after he got his adamantium ripped out)

Age of Apocalypse Wolvie

New X-Force Wolvie

That's not to mention a brown costume Wolvie with a proper mask, Commando Wolvie from when he was hanging out with Maverick, heck, even an extreme battle damage Wolvie where you can see his skeleton. A veritable cornucopia of Wolvie possibilities. And instead, we get crying little boy Wolvie, Tarzan Wolvie, middle aged Wolvie and old guy in a poncho wolvie. Blech.

While I think cowboy hat/flannel shirt Wolvie is a pretty iconic look, and thus is something I wouldn't mind owning, the rest of that set is really "meh" to me, as well. I won't be buying it unless it is dirt cheap. They should have stuck at least the updated brown costumed Wolvie or Weapon X w/helmet that you speak of into that set. I think either of those would be enough to convince some casual fans to buy it simply for that (myself possibly included), but as it stands, I think only hardcore Minimate or Wolverine fans will bite the bullet on this one.

I remember bac kwhen we were joking about this set. Ah, good times...and now we have it. And it kinda sucks.

I definitely agree that Weapon X should have been included instead of "Tarzan" Wolvie. I also really don't have a need for a crying, bloody-clawed little boy minimate of "James;" no real playability there...I so would have loved to see modern Wolvie as the Black 'n Silver X-force suit; that is just hot, and it's a great series. I also haven't followed old Man Logan AT ALL, so i could care less about and old man in poncho who just happens to have claws.

So yeah...this set is a pass. Unfotunately, i'm becoming too much of a completist, so i sadly can't. Now if they did something like this:

Weapon X w/ Logan parts

Silver Fox

Maverick

Deadpool/Sabretooth/Idon'tcarewho

as a "Wolverine 'History' Through the Ages," then that'd just be awsome. Sadly, it really is just awful.

I think Maverick and Omega Red would be must haves in a Wolvie wave... I wonder why Hasbro seems to be so much more willing to take risks on low-visibility characters in Superhero Squad? That series seems to be selling like gangbusters even without four Spidey or Wolvie varients in every single wave.

I think Maverick and Omega Red would be must haves in a Wolvie wave... I wonder why Hasbro seems to be so much more willing to take risks on low-visibility characters in Superhero Squad? That series seems to be selling like gangbusters even without four Spidey or Wolvie varients in every single wave.

I think it has more to do with the fact that when they put out new characters in waves they also repack old sets that have the standards in them, similar to the way they kind of do Mighty Muggs.

The lubricant? What is the lubricant? Please.

This is none of my pun or double-entendre shite I just want to know what the goo is on Tony Stark.

The Lubricant is a way to make his armor more comfortable. Nothing more. Without it, he'd probably chafe or something.

Or it could have something to do with the Ulitmate Iron Man miniseries where his brain is distributed throughout his whole body and he needs some sort of bacterial coating to not be in constant pain. But I doubt it. The first idea makes much more sense.

This is none of my pun or double-entendre shite I just want to know what the goo is on Tony Stark.

The Lubricant is a way to make his armor more comfortable. Nothing more. Without it, he'd probably chafe or something.

Or it could have something to do with the Ulitmate Iron Man miniseries where his brain is distributed throughout his whole body and he needs some sort of bacterial coating to not be in constant pain. But I doubt it. The first idea makes much more sense.

Interesting. Probably an odd choice making the lubricant green and throwing all us non-Ultimates-readers into a confused tizzy.

So can you explain what that accessory that comes with Ultimate Iron Man is? You know, the red thing with the tubes of green sculpted into it? You know, this thing? I'm guessing that it straps on to Iron Man's armor somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot figure out where exactly. (The back? Is this like the lubricant pack of something? Yikes... that sentence sounds funny.)

Interesting. Probably an odd choice making the lubricant green and throwing all us non-Ultimates-readers into a confused tizzy.

So can you explain what that accessory that comes with Ultimate Iron Man is? You know, the red thing with the tubes of green sculpted into it? You know, this thing? I'm guessing that it straps on to Iron Man's armor somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot figure out where exactly. (The back? Is this like the lubricant pack of something? Yikes... that sentence sounds funny.)

It goes on his back and it's what holds the lubricant. Makes it avaliable should he need it.

Back to the future fans (of which I am definitely not one) might want to check this post out. http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=99638

Weird I never saw that post before now. . .anyway, seems bad news in that it is apparently in scale with 6 inch figures, instead of 2 inch ones. BUT, maybe it will still work with Minimates.

anyway, seems bad news in that it is apparently in scale with 6 inch figures, instead of 2 inch ones. BUT, maybe it will still work with Minimates.

I dunno, it looks too big when he holds it up, but hopefully Matt is just a tiny human being. :) If not, that kinda blows -- since the Stay Puft bank thing is clearly designed as an unofficial Minimate accessory, I just assumed this was too.

Excited to hear we might get more minimates next year though! Einstein would be great, preferably with a radioactivity suit Marty...