UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Godfather Minimates?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I really don't know about this. Star Trek in movie year gets the axe, but The Godfather is a go? It seems odd. But I guess it will have cross-over appeal. The casual buyer might see a Godfather set and go for it. And it would be nice to have some mob-boss punching bags for Batman and Punisher. But even best case scenario, I don't see this being a long term minimate line.

Okay, the Godfather's comin' to us in minimate form. Let's assume they'll be distributed in the normal 4pack boxed set. Who's gonna comprise the four minimates.

01) Don Vito Corleone

02) Michael Corleone

03) Santino "Sonny" Corleone

04) ??????? Not to sure. I'm not the most knowledged in The Godfather lore, so who'd be a shoe-in for the fourth slot?

I'm looking forward to them. Anything to expand the brand. Then again I would have bought the Kellogs Minimates too. :)

Additionally, I'm very proud of you all for not making any clichéd "offer he can't refuse", and "think I'm out/pull back in"-type comments. I'm sure we'll get our fill of those well before these are released.

Wow... Am I the only one excited about this?

Maybe you'll change your mind when you see the protos. (or maybe I will. Who knows?)

I am excited too. Then again I would buy any civilian mates DST wants to make. Good Will Hunting mates? Yep. Swingers mates? Yep. Keep em coming DST.

Great movie, but as far as merchandising...uh, yeeahh. While I could personally care less about this franchise, I would probably pick-up a set on impulse if for no other reason than target practice for Frank Castle.

its a wave with variants guys, so we'll be reaching deep into the movies i think

Are you serious? I thought DST only made 2-pack waves with surefire licenses. The Godfather seems it would have a better chance of a longer life as a boxed set. Wow! I still can't believe they're (DST) going in that direction with this line. Hope it survives past series one.

There is some other Godfather toy merch coming out (from Hot Toys) so maybe they think this is a viable license.

Can't really see it myself.

Mafia guys in suits should still make for a reasonable 4-pack but I'd rather have had Goodfellas than this any day!

While I can't see this as my cup of tea, there's always the potential these catch on and DST winds up with a hit license. After all, I think Silence of the Lambs had a decent response and one could argue that this has a far larger fan following. Then again, I can't see a B&M store (TRU, Target, etc) picking this up and the overall lack of character designs could hurt. I don't think I'll be in the market for these but if they wind up on clearance, anything is possible.

There is some other Godfather toy merch coming out (from Hot Toys) so maybe they think this is a viable license.

Enterbay and Hot Toys are both doing a version of Don Vito, but a) they have yet to be released, so we don't know if they will succeed or not; and b ) guys in suits work waaay better as a 12 inch figure than a 2 inch one, in my estimation. But, I agree--toy execs around the world seem to be pouncing on the Godfather thing right now, so they might know something we don't.

If I were to pick a gangster line for Minimates, however, I would pick Sopranos over Goodfellas or Godfather. You would get more variety, and more interesting looking outfits.

Edited by karamazov80

I see one box set out of this. The Godfather can't be more popular then Rocky, 24 or Platoon. DST needs to stick to the sci-fi based stuff, like Terminator or Ghostbusters, and probably boxed sets vs multiple 2-packs.

With some of these choices I think somebody thought it would be cool just to have a display of Minimates with Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Marlon Brando, Wolverine, Madonna, Cylons, Charlie Sheen, Clint Eastwood, Captain Kirk, Dirk Benedict, Ghostbusters, Keifer Sutherland, Hannibal Lecter, Marty McFly and the Terminator. How long before they whip out the ol' Starsky & Hutch, Top Gun or Breakfast Club?

How long before they whip out the ol' Starsky & Hutch, Top Gun or Breakfast Club?

This is the only part of this I noticed. I'd buy all (well, maybe not Breakfasdt Club...if it doesn't come with drugs...) of those; I'd need Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson mates, and Top Gun is a great movie. :)

Also, yeah, the Boxset idea would sell better. I can't see them milking more than a box set from this, and they're making a wave of 7 and exclusives as of this moment; tsk-tsk, DST. Interesting choice for a line, as in both good-and-bad interesting, but horrible way to market them. Let's just hope you wise up and revive BSG with Waves 5 and 6, Caprica Set, and VEHICLES!!