UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

I really want to be on board with these but I can't bring myself to get excited about them. Maybe when I see them on a shelf it will change. There is no way to convince myself that it's worth spending $130 on an Xbox game for minimates. I can not afford to buy $60 games much less $130 ones.

Yeah, I'm in the same place - I like the GB movies, but I can't get excited about a bunch of characters that are made up exclusively for the game...

I'll pass on these unless I can steal them on eBay for next to nothing.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to be on board with these but I can't bring myself to get excited about them. Maybe when I see them on a shelf it will change. There is no way to convince myself that it's worth spending $130 on an Xbox game for minimates. I can not afford to buy $60 games much less $130 ones.

Yeah, I'm in the same place - I like the GB movies, but I can't get excited about a bunch of characters that are made up exclusively for the game...

I'll pass on these unless I can steal them on eBay for next to nothing.

I am going to hold judgment on whether or not I get them til I see them on the pegs. Who knows they could be awesome.

Dude, he's a ghost. He's supposed to be all those things. Next you'll be telling me zombies should be cuddly. :D

When I was young I was scared s**tless of ghost (I got over it) yet I loved Ghostbuster... I had so many Ghostbusters 2 based nightmares it's not even funny (and yet I caught it again on TV a few months ago, saw the subway heads that used to make me hide in terror and thought "THOSE WERE SCARY?!"), so the fact Slimer was none of those things made him much cooler to me.

Not saying we don't need the rotty, creepy ghost minimates, just that Slimer being those things is not the Slimer I enjoyed as a child.

I'll be getting the game for the Nintendo DS since I don't have any of the other game systems. But watching the previews for it really makes me want to get one.

I'd like that Slimer edition, too, for all the neat stuff... but I just can't bring myself to spend that without even owning the game console.

Also, the rumors I've seen from Ackroyd and Ramis in the past few weeks online about the actual possibility of a Ghostbusters 3 is getting me excited. I'm gonna go watch the first movie now. :)

AMC is showing Ghostbusters 1 & 2 right now and they just mentioned how Murray and Ramis might be working together again for Ghostbusters 3 for a 2012 release.

bloody-disgusting.com ran an article a few months ago... here's a link to a few of the tidbits:

LINK

scroll down a bit, there's a few things

Edited by killcharlesdead

bloody-disgusting.com ran an article a few months ago... here's a link to a few of the tidbits:

LINK

That video of Murray is awesome: "I think the wounds have healed from Ghostbusters 2." :lol:

As for a new movie, I'll believe it when I'm sitting in the theater. :P Especially when you've got Murray talking in that clip about how what made the original GB great was not focusing on effects, and then you've got Ackroyd talking about the new movie involving dimension-hopping.

Also, even if they get great comedians to play the team in training, I'd still much rather just watch a movie about the old guys. Then again it could be great, who knows...

LINK

That video of Murray is awesome: "I think the wounds have healed from Ghostbusters 2." :lol:

As for a new movie, I'll believe it when I'm sitting in the theater. :P Especially when you've got Murray talking in that clip about how what made the original GB great was not focusing on effects, and then you've got Ackroyd talking about the new movie involving dimension-hopping.

Also, even if they get great comedians to play the team in training, I'd still much rather just watch a movie about the old guys. Then again it could be great, who knows...

One plus about the new movie is that it was written by two of the writers from the office.

I agree. it's not about the concept (which is awesome) it's about the characters. I don't want to go see a seth rogan and steve carell movie, I want to see a bill murray/dan akroyd/harold ramis movie.

that being said, i'm going to try to reserve judgment until I see anything material from it.

I'm not too sure that this is a good idea. Could be a nostalgic home run like Rocky Balboa, but that seems to be the exception to the rule. Ghostbusters 2 was horrible, and does anybody remember "Evolution"? Ivan Reitman directed it, and it seemed to be going after the Ghostbusters "vibe." However, it sucked horribly. I like the UK version of the office, but am not a huge fan of the U.S. version (and personally, "best comedy on tv" doesn't mean much nowadays). If nothing else, I'm not sure if those guys are right for the kind of humor that made the original Ghostbusters so great.

Little surprised that we're getting two TRU waves, though. TRU must love Minimates right now...

They are flying off the shelves of the TRUs around Los Angeles. The TRU workers have seemed to caught on that they are hot. In two stores someone stashed them in hidden spots so they could buy them later off the clock.

The corporation that owns TRU also owns Target. I wonder if Minimates will make a return to Target?

I'm not too sure that this is a good idea. Could be a nostalgic home run like Rocky Balboa, but that seems to be the exception to the rule. Ghostbusters 2 was horrible, and does anybody remember "Evolution"? Ivan Reitman directed it, and it seemed to be going after the Ghostbusters "vibe." However, it sucked horribly. I like the UK version of the office, but am not a huge fan of the U.S. version (and personally, "best comedy on tv" doesn't mean much nowadays). If nothing else, I'm not sure if those guys are right for the kind of humor that made the original Ghostbusters so great.

I think that it will be a combination sequel and reboot. From what has been said the original Ghostbusters will be training new recruits and if I am not mistaken the lead recruit will be female. I love the US Office I wait all week for it. It can be both serious and funny both with the needed levity or gravity. The cast is perfect and the writing is sharp which is what this movie needs to be. Both writers are the writers on the Harold Ramis' Micheal Cera & Jack Black movie Year One so I guess we can better decide if them being the Ghostbusters writers is a good or bad thing in a few weeks.

I love The Office (well, second season on; the first season was taken way too directly from the UK scripts, which didn't really translate well, but since then they've created a whole new thing), and I think the writers can be brilliant at times, but I'm not really sure how I feel about them doing Ghostbusters...

It'll all come down to whether they can truly capture the voices of the main characters or not. Everything that's funny in GB is about the characters and their reactions to these crazy situations, rather than the situations themselves. I caught a bit of GB2 on TV the other night, and even though it's a somewhat lousy sequel, the Venkman stuff in it is still hilarious. So I worry about a new writer really capturing that voice/character.

One good thing is that we already have GB2, so it's not like we have to worry about a new movie "ruining" the legacy of Ghostbusters or whatever :lol:. With that in mind, I think it's worth taking another shot at a worthwhile sequel...

Very strangely, BBTS has just put the TRU Ghostbusters 2-packs up for preorder at 13.99 a pop... Judging by the price hike, I'm guessing they're just going to buy from TRU at the store level and then resell. Still, that's around the price I saw many of the previous TRU exlcusives selling for on eBay (in auctions anyway; the BIN ones were often listed higher), so I guess it's an alternative for foreign collectors to save on shipping by throwing these into their Pile Of Loot...

I think this board is a good alternative for foreign members to not have to buy from eBay. I know I'm not the only one here willing to pick these up for anybody not able to get them on TRU's site.

And, on a personal note, I pre-ordered the Ghostbusters game to get the Minimates. I chose the release date delivery option and should see them on the 16th. Since I'm 5 minutes away from one of their distribution centers, I can pretty much count on them get here that day. If I do get them then, posting pics will be high on my agenda.

Oh totally, I didn't mean it was a "good" alternative, just an equal or maybe slightly better one to eBay. And hopefully no members live near BBTS HQ, since it sounds like they'll be trying to scoop these up*. It's weird to see a bigger company basically scalping, although I guess some of the SDCC exclusives are marked-up in the same way, when they can't buy them direct. I remember them charging a lot for the Mugg exclusives last summer, which were presumably just bought off the floor and resold.

Groundhog7s, I'll be just as interested to hear whether the game's really any good...

*edit: Actually nevermind, they're more likely to be ordering a few cases off the TRU website, now that I think about it.

Edited by battlecat

I wonder who it will be? the only female who seems to be in comedies nowadays is elizabeth banks. I will not see it if she's in it. buh.

If it's the same idea for Ghostbusters 3 that's been kicked around for god knows how long (which it sounds like with the team of new characters and the dimension hoping) they probably wanted her to be played Janeane Garofalo... seems like at the time they last tried to get this made she would have been the female comedian to get and would have fit the movies style pretty well.

now they'd probably go like Ellen Page or something probably.

I wonder who it will be? the only female who seems to be in comedies nowadays is elizabeth banks. I will not see it if she's in it. buh.

If it's the same idea for Ghostbusters 3 that's been kicked around for god knows how long (which it sounds like with the team of new characters and the dimension hopping) they probably wanted her to be played Janeane Garofalo... seems like at the time they last tried to get this made she would have been the female comedian to get and would have fit the movies style pretty well.

now they'd probably go like Ellen Page or something probably.

hmmm. interesting.

I'd love to Janeane Garofalo in it. I think her and Bill Murray together would be awesome.

yeah, I know. i've loved her in pretty much everything she's been in, but especially mystery men.

which, you know, would have a similar team dynamic thing going on... so it'd be great,

as her banter with team members was my favorite part of that movie