UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

secret invasion pics

Glantern

Why all the hate on Jewel aka Jessica Jones? I'm pumped to get her as a minimate. I'm gonna display her cowering next to my Purple Man custom.

Everyone should read Alias!!!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all the hate on Jewel aka Jessica Jones? I'm pumped to get her as a minimate. I'm gonna display her cowering next to my Purple Man custom.

I have heard that she is a great character, and I can't dispute that since I have never read a comic with her in it. But I have tried to make the argument that as a Minimate, Mockingbird would probably have been much better, since she looks relatively cool and distinctive, and is an iconic member of the Avengers, even if she has been dead for years. Jewel looks pretty generic, and would not be very noticeable in a Minimate line-up. But, that is only my take.

I have heard that she is a great character, and I can't dispute that since I have never read a comic with her in it. But I have tried to make the argument that as a Minimate, Mockingbird would probably have been much better, since she looks relatively cool and distinctive, and is an iconic member of the Avengers, even if she has been dead for years. Jewel looks pretty generic, and would not be very noticeable in a Minimate line-up. But, that is only my take.

that is my take too...in fact i put her up for trade, as i have no real interest in her. Now on the other hand a Mockingbird would have helped fill in a WCA very nicely.

that is my take too...in fact i put her up for trade, as i have no real interest in her. Now on the other hand a Mockingbird would have helped fill in a WCA very nicely.

All good points. I guess for me I appreciate her more because I am familiar with the background on Jessica Jones from the Alias series, not just what they've filled in from New Avengers. I do need to try to cobble a Jessica Jones mate to go with Jewel.

I got trigger-happy today and picked up this set at my local...and kind of wish I had just waited for my BBTS preorder instead. My shop's $20 price tag is right on the edge of what I want to pay for any boxset, and I don't feel like I got a great bang for my buck this time – the $17 that BBTS was charging is honestly a little steep for this set, too.

For all the extra parts and custom potential, I would have felt satisfied paying $20 for the Punisher set, but that one was actually cheaper. I wonder why?

"Just like a hooker, it is always cheaper without extra head. :D"

HA!! Zing! Obviously four heads make it more expensive. Here are Spider-Woman, Skrullektra and beast with the Astonishing hair. The skrull ladies work, but Beast with that hair does not. Totally the wrong color.

I like these figures. I can see some of the points being made, but there will always be something to be improved upon and there will always be haters. I like the addition of Jewel and the Alias comic series was great. Those that are really bothered by the slight hint of green that you can see on the side of Beast's face can easily fix it with a paint touch-up. I would also love to see dual faces on future minimates. Angry / happy; battle damaged / normal, etc.

skrullmatesSmall.jpg

I don't think I like that insane look on the spare female skrull head. That Elektra skrull looks a little to intense.

Yeah... but in hindsight, that crazed expression seems kinda in-character for Skrullektra, doesn't it? :P

Can somebody post a pic of the side of Beasts' head with the hairpiece on so those of us without can get a feel for how much green there will be to fix? I'm not good with paint so I'm hoping I can just sand it off somehow.

Done and done! You can see a tiny bit of green on his left side, but on the right it is very apparent. I'm not one to be bothered by it and I don't really give two shites about Beast anyway. I'll most likely just use the head as an extra skrull. I can see myself getting at least two more of these sets. I need more, I want a bag of 25 skrull heads!!

skrullbeast2Small.jpg

skrullbeast1Small.jpg

even with the very minor imperfections shown in this thread I'm damn happy with that beast, the rendering just screams Avengers to me

I would've prefered seperate heads for "disguise" and skrull but hey it is what it is

I keep going back and keep reading the "Why not instead of Jewel?!" posts, and they are kinda starting to bug me. for one thing, Jewel is an okay character, and deserves to have a minimate made. It's a cool, very neat-looking mate, and is alright with me. Another point is that she is the "never made again" figure of the set. I keep seeing things like "Mockingbird or Mar-vell instead" poping up, and that bothers me. If they took her place, they'd be the figures NEVER TO BE MADE AGAIN. I'd much rather have a modern and a classic Mockingbird as well as multiple Mar-vell costumes, which is something they couldn't do if they made one of them instead. Just stating a point here, so no need to grab the pitchforks and torches. :blush:

True, but as other people have said, the "never to be made again" rule is not definite. I think of it as more f a "doesn't need to be made again character" because, we don't need another jewel, nitro, valkyrie, etc...

Sure, jewel is a kewl mate, but i would have rather had "Mockingbird or Mar-vell instead" :P

I was perfectly fine with Jewel taking the 4th spot in the boxset actually. The only reason I assert that "Mockingbird should have been in this boxset" argument is because "her" role was somewhat more prominent in the Secret Invasion comic itself. (Knowing DST's occasionally wacky minimate choices though, since when does something like storyline-accuracy matter?) TTF's argument about the "Never Again" minimate also possibly never getting another costume variant sounds pretty plausible too.

And for me, Mar-Vell as a boxset "Never Again" is a big fat NO-NO. That sort of spot is best reserved for an obscure/oneshot character in a themed set, and last I checked Captain Marvel was an extremely seminal character in Marvel comic history who deserves an actual spot in a future Marvel wave. If off-kilter characters like Deadpool and Cloak & Dagger can get official Minimate versions in a wave then moreso Captain Marvel, an actual Silver Age (correct me if I'm wrong) superhero. Plus with Mar-Vell in a wave, that would improve the chances of us getting Captain Marvel variants like Genis-Vell and Noh-Varr.

Darned last-minute proofreading! :blink:

Edited by NorthRaider

I was perfectly fine with Jewel taking the 4th spot in the boxset actually. The only reason I assert that "Mockingbird should have been in this boxset" argument is because "her" role was somewhat more prominent in the Secret Invasion comic itself. (Knowing DST's occasionally wacky minimate choices though, since when does something like storyline-accuracy matter?) TTF's argument about the "Never Again" minimate also possibly never getting another costume variant sounds pretty plausible too.

And for me, Mar-Vell as a boxset "Never Again" is a big fat NO-NO. That sort of spot is best reserved for an obscure/oneshot character in a themed set, and last I checked Captain Marvel was an extremely seminal character in Marvel comic history who deserves an actual spot in a future Marvel wave. If off-kilter characters like Deadpool and Cloak & Dagger can get official Minimate versions in a wave then moreso Captain Marvel, an actual Silver Age (correct me if I'm wrong) superhero. Plus with Mar-Vell in a wave, that would improve the chances of us getting Captain Marvel variants like Genis-Vell and Noh-Varr.

Darned last-minute proofreading! :blink:

I'm with you guys, don't get me wrong. I won't really be happy until I've got a 1st apperance green/white Mar-Vell and a classic costume red/blue Mar-Vell. And then I'd love a Genis, Noh-Varr, and the lady Marvels. But I worry that if we don't get a character soon we won't get them. The Big DC Pullout still spooks me. So I'd like 'em as sooner than later as possible.

Now I've just gotta find some kind gentle soul who'll paint over the green on my Beast for me.

Any takers? :D

"Now I've just gotta find some kind gentle soul who'll paint over the green on my Beast for me."

I really don't think it would be that hard to do yourself. You can see that there isn't even that much to paint over when the hair piece is on his head. Get some colors, mix them up, practice on a different head. You'll have to ask others the best way to get the green off, if you decide to go that route. Or, you could just paint over the green altogether. Check out the custom threads for painting tips.